What's new

ASP - ATG SINGLE PASS

I am completing my first year DE. My journey has led me to an open comb one pass ATG face and head shaver. I am pleased and fortunate to have found a shave that works for me. I get consistent, comfortable DFS+ shaves. I hope there are other One Pass shavers who would like to trade notes. Discussing, technique, products, and single pass shaving.

This sounds like a club I’d enjoy.

Now to only find that balance into waiting enough days between shaves to get clean with one pass (versus 1-2 main passes and many clean up passes) while not so much that the compulsion to plug hairs manifests…
Glad you are here. It is a different shaving experience and I have less than a dozen. The first one pass shave felt as though I was breaking free of gravity or just a new found freedom. The next couple shaves I wondered if I might go back to a three pass. The shaves continued to improve. The shaves are quick not intentionally. The time difference has the pre shave and post shave standing out more than the shave.

Excellent! Took last night off and may take tonight off to make ASP-ATG easier to achieve.
I have only tried ASP with a minimum of 96hr growth. My feeling is the growth length works well with the open comb. Improved shave efficiency has stretched that to 120hrs. My next shave will be my last shave of my first year of DE. All aspects of my pre, post, and the shave itself have dramatically changed from the first few months. My shave will continue to morph as I campaign for better efficiency and improved comfort. Reducing passes from 36 a month to 12 a month has redirected my focus and concentration to reducing strokes. I cannot visualize a plateau.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I got closer with a two and a half day wait. Mistakes were made, but my upper lip never shaved smoother. Having to wrap my head around dual ideas that waiting more than three days will make the shave easier and that GEM blades (as I use them, at least) won’t hold up to more than 3 or 4 ATG single pass shaves.

thombrogan

Got my closest to the goal of club today. Other than mustache area, ATG single pass with minimal cleanup.

After I get a lot more practice, I’ll be able to wait longer spans between shaves and give the upper lip the ATG treatment without irritation.

thombrogan

Been getting better at this ATG Single Pass Shaving style. Not enough to be spokesperson or good example, but shaves are improving along with post-shave comfort.

Since a single pass, ATG shave is the only way that I have ever done it (over 30 years now), your comments are very interesting to me. I use a Fatboy at 9 on all of my face except my upper lip. That is the only part of my face where I have cut myself on one or two occasions in my life so I turn the Fatboy down to 7 Just to be safe. If I’m in a hurry it is DFS, if I take my time it is BBS.

thombrogan

ATG Single Pass shave using a GEM Micromatic Open Comb and Personna PTFE GEM (4) at a steep angle was my most comfortable and closest shave this Summer.

thombrogan

ATG Single Pass shave using a GEM Micromatic Open Comb and Personna PTFE GEM (5) at a steep angle was even closer and more comfortable.

I got closer with a two and a half day wait. Mistakes were made, but my upper lip never shaved smoother. Having to wrap my head around dual ideas that waiting more than three days will make the shave easier and that GEM blades (as I use them, at least) won’t hold up to more than 3 or 4 ATG single pass shaves.
Thom the reason to wait between shaves is only for one reason. Skin recovery. Regardless of what you shave with, you will remove skin. You cannot effectively shave Unwell Skin. Only healthy skin can be shaved with success.

Finding this is much easier for me with a Fatip Grande than a GEM Micromatic Open Comb …
Thom I have limited DE experince. The Grande shines above all other razors for me. I found all my answers and refined all my techniques with this razor. Lo Storto is a little more efficient. It is also less maneuverable and slower than than the Grande. Not having used it in awhile I lust for it and will be using it again very soon. I’m sorry for not paying more attention to this thread.

If my stubble grows too long, it usually scratches my neck, so there’s a window of best opportunity happening.

It’s very nice. I can feel it refining my technique like you noticed it did for you.
If I had to choose between itchy whiskers and healthy skin. I would buy a case of Talc. I will not shave unhappy skin.

I hope you hang in with the Grande. 100% upside.

Top Bottom