What's new

"Ask Me About a Fluffernutter..."

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I was raised on 'em. Haven't had one in years. My son still takes one for lunch almost every day. Of course, he's like I was at his age: he can and does eat at least 2 lunches a day and never gains an ounce!

I wish I still had that problem. I miss not seeing my feet from a standing position!
Yeah they can't be an everyday thing past a certain age. I probably have Fluffernutters a half dozen times a year. Surprisingly, this past spring I ate a lot of them on matzoh. I usually get 2 boxes of whole grain matzoh each Passover just because I like it. But this year my wife came home with 2 cases- so that was 12 boxes of matzoh. I was making matzoh brei with eggs, I was using it in soups, and I discovered that you can make a mean Fluffernutter with matzoh.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yeah they can't be an everyday thing past a certain age. I probably have Fluffernutters a half dozen times a year. Surprisingly, this past spring I ate a lot of them on matzoh. I usually get 2 boxes of whole grain matzoh each Passover just because I like it. But this year my wife came home with 2 cases- so that was 12 boxes of matzoh. I was making matzoh brei with eggs, I was using it in soups, and I discovered that you can make a mean Fluffernutter with matzoh.
I could eat that now. You are pretty smart my friend!

Traditionally white bread is used but I haven't had sliced white bread in the house in years. I use whatever I have- usually an oatnut or some kind of whole multigrain bread. In recent years I've toasted my Fluffernutters, but never did so when I was a kid. A couple warm Fluffernutters and a mug of hot cocoa or cold chocolate milk and I'm in comfort food heaven. I've never had a bad Fluffernutter!

I think I remember reading that you never had one. Have you tried one yet?

Thanks for the reply.

Seems I can't find any Fluff here in Tacoma. I can only find Jet Puffed. I hear that Fluff is the better tasting of the two. So I haven't tried one yet.

Guess I'll just have to get the Jet Puffed and give it a try.

Owen Bawn

Thanks for the reply.

Seems I can't find any Fluff here in Tacoma. I can only find Jet Puffed. I hear that Fluff is the better tasting of the two. So I haven't tried one yet.

Guess I'll just have to get the Jet Puffed and give it a try.
Kraft Jet Puffed is all I can get in most shops here in SW Ohio as well. It works just fine. We're not talking about looking for the finest 12 year old single malt scotch here, lad. This is egg whites and sugar.

Not a fluff but I have a friends family puts maple syrup on peanut butter sandwiches. I thought it was weird until I tried it.

My favorite thing is peanut butter, banana and honey. I bring them on fishing trips often. No need to refrigerate and very filling. Made extra one trip because friends had never tried one. Both buddies thought it was amazing.

Owen Bawn

Not a fluff but I have a friends family puts maple syrup on peanut butter sandwiches. I thought it was weird until I tried it.

My favorite thing is peanut butter, banana and honey. I bring them on fishing trips often. No need to refrigerate and very filling. Made extra one trip because friends had never tried one. Both buddies thought it was amazing.
Elvis Presley's fave was a peanut butter, bacon, mashed banana, and honey sandwich grilled in a cast iron skillet in either butter or bacon fat.

Elvis Presley's fave was a peanut butter, bacon, mashed banana, and honey sandwich grilled in a cast iron skillet in either butter or bacon fat.

1604692839967.png
Well, now that explains a lot!

A few months ago in the Breakfast thread I mentioned that I made a Fluffernutter for breakfast that day- a staple treat from a New England childhood. It's simply peanut butter & marshmallow 'creme' on bread or toast. In New England "Fluff" is the most prominent brand of marshmallow creme, and in the 50s-60s they had a catchy TV ad campaign for the sandwich they christened the "Fluffernutter," although the sandwich itself goes back at least to WWI.

So then some enterprising wiseacre B&B moderator added "Ask me about a Fluffernutter" to my avatar, and believe me I've been asked. DMs, questions in threads, you name it. I kinda like the attention to be honest... So this post will be something to which I can direct the curious when they ask about the Fluffernutter. With resources!

The history of the Fluffernutter

An example of a 1960s Fluffernutter TV advert

Finally... the Fluffernutter on reality TV, as Dorchester's Wahlberg family decides to add the Fluffernutter to the menu at Wahlburgers:
I guess I can’t make a Fluffernutter. We don’t have Fluff in Oklahoma.

I guess I can’t make a Fluffernutter. We don’t have Fluff in Oklahoma.
It's so much healthier to make it from scratch...
:laugh:
1604705460854.png

Owen Bawn

You are headed for a fluffernutter custom title with all this material!

... oh wait. Nevermind.

[QUOTE="Buster, post: 10980391, member: 62092"

My favorite thing is peanut butter, banana and honey. I bring them on fishing trips often.
[/QUOTE]

Bananas on fishing boats —— Bad Mojo!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I prefer plain peanut butter, no Fluff, no jam, no fruit. A close second is white toast with peanut butter and currant jelly. However, a spoon of Fluff on a hot fudge sundae instead of whipped cream is pretty fine.

Owen Bawn

I had a couple of Fluffernutters and a glass of chocolate milk this morning.

"On the third day of Christmas my true love gave to me... three Fluffernutters... two chocolate milks... and some sweats with an elastic waist band."

Owen Bawn

Grew up in Western Mass and Fluffernutters were my favorite.
As my longtime state senator from South Boston, William Bulger used to say, "He says he's from western Mass. He must be from Newton."

Hope you enjoyed your Fluffernutter today. Was happy to see you had one!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Sounds delicious! Great custom title too! It is an honor to get one. It means they like you very much.
They must LOVE me then, probably because I show you so much respect 'Dawg!

I've always felt so bad fer that feller that got stuck with the goose dropping title!

Top Bottom