What's new

"Ask Me About a Fluffernutter..."

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
A few months ago in the Breakfast thread I mentioned that I made a Fluffernutter for breakfast that day- a staple treat from a New England childhood. It's simply peanut butter & marshmallow 'creme' on bread or toast. In New England "Fluff" is the most prominent brand of marshmallow creme, and in the 50s-60s they had a catchy TV ad campaign for the sandwich they christened the "Fluffernutter," although the sandwich itself goes back at least to WWI.

So then some enterprising wiseacre B&B moderator added "Ask me about a Fluffernutter" to my avatar, and believe me I've been asked. DMs, questions in threads, you name it. I kinda like the attention to be honest... So this post will be something to which I can direct the curious when they ask about the Fluffernutter. With resources!

The history of the Fluffernutter

An example of a 1960s Fluffernutter TV advert

Finally... the Fluffernutter on reality TV, as Dorchester's Wahlberg family decides to add the Fluffernutter to the menu at Wahlburgers:

HA, I grew up in Dorchester................. Yes had fluffernutters,, but also could smell the cocoa from Bakers Chocklate in lower mills. You those old enuf to remember, it was a dark baking variety,, mmmm

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Love the 60's advert, thanks for posting. How have I missed this my whole life? I grew up in the south but this is definitely a New England tradition that I can embrace......

It would be a Sad childhood not knowing what Fluffernutter is!!!
Us kids had peanut butter sandwiches with real blackberry preserves, so thanks for letting me know what a fluffernutter sandwich is, but somehow I don't feel deprived. No Wonder Bread either, but actual whole wheat bread.

Reactions: Anu
Us kids had peanut butter sandwiches with real blackberry preserves, so thanks for letting me know what a fluffernutter sandwich is, but somehow I don't feel deprived. No Wonder Bread either, but actual whole wheat bread.
My kids had home made jelly and preserves all their life till their mid 20's,. my son told me one day after he moved at at 25 or so, that he had to buy strawberry jam for the first time ever and not home made..
I still make strawberry and just about finished all my rasberries, but i used to also include, blueberry, peach and grape jelly..for an assortment, nothing beats home made.

• Love
Reactions: Anu
I looked up how to make fluff, seems easy enough but,... There's not a single redeeming thing about it lol your parents teachers much have not lived your parents for sending to to school with that much sugar for lunch. I'm still going to make it this week cause I have to now. Wonder if you could mix the PB right into the fluff

Top Bottom