What's new

Art of shaving your thoughts ?

...my tub of AoS Sandalwood...changed their formula and it’s not what it used to be...

I'm curious. Which version do you have? Parabens? Thiazolinone? Carbamate?

(TAOS has gone through reformulation many times, with multiple parabens, and thiazolinone formulations.)

I'm curious. Which version do you have? Parabens? Thiazolinone? Carbamate?

(TAOS has gone through reformulation many times, with multiple parabens, and thiazolinone formulations.)
Are there any signs on the label that can kind of "date" my tub? I can't find any indications. I bought a little over a year ago, if that can clue which formulation I have.

Are there any signs on the label that can kind of "date" my tub? I can't find any indications. I bought a little over a year ago, if that can clue which formulation I have.
The tallow formula has Art of Shaving printed in simple text on the puck, the new formula has Art of Shaving printed inside an oval.

It's printed inside an oval.
I have not used the new formula and cannot speak to it at all. You can still find tallow pucks out there on auction sites and elsewhere. It's a great soap and lasts forever. I'm going to have to bust it out for tomorrow's shave.

Which of the two? (Both are P&G.)

taos_p&G M.jpg taos_L.jpg

Ok, definitely rules out all of the parabens versions.
The striped one is very latest (i.e. carbamate; I don't believe there ever was a striped thiazolinone).

Though still pretty good, it's a step below the original (c. 2000), or something like T&H, ime.

Haha another one of those "YMMV" examples for sure.

AoS really sticks out in my mind because it was (and still is) the most expensive shaving cream I've purchased and it's really the only product that just hasn't worked well for me when DE shaving (minus a soap that gave me an allergic reaction...it still performed fine).

That scent though. Another reason other than price on why I got so stubborn with really trying hard to like it. It smells amazing.

Bummer. However, for me, AoS shaving creams are top notch and quite possibly my favorite shaving cream. As an aside, in terms of "biggest ripoff in shaving" - I can think of many, many other shaving products that fit that bill, but not AoS.

never had a bad shave with their cream.. including one of their newest releases, Olibanum and Pepper.

I have found AofS creams at TJ Maxx here in the US and have not paid over $8 for a tub. I have Sandalwood, Peppermint (a great holiday scent, BTW), OUD, and Bergamot Neroli.

All solid performers.

I have found AofS creams at TJ Maxx here in the US and have not paid over $8 for a tub. I have Sandalwood, Peppermint (a great holiday scent, BTW), OUD, and Bergamot Neroli.

All solid performers.

I scored a few at our local TJX too. Proraso makes my skin dry, these have been excellent performers. Is TOBS comparable to AoS?

Not at all comparable in terms of scent though.
TAOS is a fair representation of SW EO; TOBS is a very loose interpretation.

Are there any natural or organic options available? I looked at the ingredient list on AOS and TOBS, both had a long list of chemicals.

never had a bad shave with their cream.. including one of their newest releases, Olibanum and Pepper.
I like the Olibanum + Black Pepper, as well. I think it's pretty great for winter shaving. The scent is slightly dark and works well with the season (even though it's around just for the time it takes to shave). The quality of the shave I get with the cream is also pretty good.

That said, I've only tried this one, the Peppermint, and the Coriander and Cardamom. The peppermint is cooling and should work well when the temperature is hotter, like during summer. The Coriander and Cardamom has a bit more of a green scent to my thinking. It would probably be better during spring, but should also work during winter.

You mean within AoS and ToBS or other brands?

No other brands would be fine. As long as they perform as good as AoS. I haven't had much luck with proraso. It makes my skin very dry. I'm sure there are many other brands out there.

Top Bottom