What's new

Mass market vs artisan soaps

Ive seen a lot of posts on different shaving forums where people complain about mass market soaps and their slickness scents and ingredients so i thought id post my option on the differences between the two.

Mass market soaps- these are soaps readily available from bigger companies of pharmaceuticals, products like Arko, Derby, the South African reitzer and tabac fall into this category.

Artisan soaps- these soaps include the likes of the wonder soaps manufactured by bundubeard and RVTs own range of soaps, both offering remarkable value for money and excellent performance.(often artisan soaps in other countries are rediculously over-priced, but thats certainly not the case here.)

Performance (mass market soaps)- Often people complain about the lathering of some of these soaps, but performance wise id say the majority are excellent, many mass market soaps have been around for years, and there's a reason for that. They provide excellent performance at an often low price.

Performance (artisan soaps)- Lathering is often excellent, however there are a few artisan soaps which do have issues lathering, especially when used with hard water. Often because these soaps are made in small batches, the consistency can differ slightly from batch to batch, and often individual recipes and formulas are still being tweaked to maximize performance.

Scent- (mass market soaps)- This is one category where artisan soaps win hands down in my opinion. Often mass market soaps have a more industrial scent, but they get the job done.
Scent(artisan soaps)- artisan soaps win this category hands down, theres so many available, so many different scent profiles and varieties that there's one to suit your requirements and budget available for almost everyone.

Ingredients-(mass market soaps)- this is the category that makes me lean more towards artisan soaps, often mass market soaps are made with lower quality ingredients, and often have a ton of dodgy preservatives in them. For example one of my favourite budget soaps Arko has the following Ingredients: Potassium Tallowate, Stearic Acid, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Palm Kernelate,Glycerin, Parfum, Paraffinum Liquidium, Cl 77891, Tetrasodium EDTA, Etidronic Acid, Disodium Distrylbiphenyl Disulfonate, Amyl Cinnamal, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool.

A lot of those ingredients sound pretty dodgy, even though they have been approved for use in the cosmetic industry.
For example tetrasodium EDTA is one of the dodgy ones, and you wont believe how they make it, check it out, Barberry Bark for Oily Skin ... maldehyde/

Ingredients (artisan soaps)
Artisan soaps definitely contain much safer natural ingredients, and are often healthier for you as well as for your skin.
Here's an example of the ingredients found in RVTs own soap range:

Stearic acid

Palm Oil

Shea Butter

Cocoa Butter

Avocado Oil

Glycerin

French Clay

Essential oils

As we can see, clearly artisan soaps(usually) contain healthier and Safer ingredients.

Conclusion: both mass market and artisan soaps have their place, artisan soaps are better if you want less preservatives and dont mind paying more, but mass market soaps are the better option if you dont mind the extra ingredients or are on a tight budget. Personally i use both artisan and mass market soaps and enjoy them both, but i like the idea of less harmful ingredients and supporting smaller businesses and artisans.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

"Scent- (mass market soaps)- This is one category where artisan soaps win hands down in my opinion. Often mass market soaps have a more industrial scent, but they get the job done.
Scent(artisan soaps)- artisan soaps win this category hands down, theres so many available, so many different scent profiles and varieties that there's one to suit your requirements and budget available for almost everyone."

THIS

"Scent- (mass market soaps)- This is one category where artisan soaps win hands down in my opinion. Often mass market soaps have a more industrial scent, but they get the job done.
Scent(artisan soaps)- artisan soaps win this category hands down, theres so many available, so many different scent profiles and varieties that there's one to suit your requirements and budget available for almost everyone."

THIS
???

Good overview of the two categories of soaps. The final choice is always the YMMV angle.

For me the mass market scents win hands down. They are consistent and enjoyable. Some of the artisans I have tried seem to either end up in the "too faint of a scent" or the "too over-powering of a scent". Also some of the odd scents are not for me. Yes there is a lot of variety, but some are too weird, and from several threads some artisan soaps tend to go rancid. I remember trying some artisan soaps with an aquatic scent, but they seemed more like dead fish on a beach.

About the only thing I agree with is the scent. Artisan soap scents are stronger...not necessarily better, but stronger. The ingredients argument I dismissed when you said they "sound dodgy". Just because I can't 100% say something, doesn't mean it's not safe, but that's just me. It's easy to make those "safe" ingredients sound dodgy too. Here is that same list of natural ingredients with the more "chemically" sounding names:

Stearic Acid, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Butyrospermum Parkii Butterate, Sodium Theobroma Cacao Butterate, Sodium Avocadate, Glycerin, Montmorillonite, Essential Oils.

Doesn't sound as pretty or natural.

Also, most of those "dodgy" ingredients are either fragrance or chelating agents that soften the water and allow the soap to function amazingly in all water conditions.

Just like in the music gear business, the term "boutique" gets thrown around a lot. It's all BS of course, what sounds good is good. With shaving soap, whatever lathers well, smells great, and leaves you feeling better afterwards is good and is therefore considered by me to be an Artisan-level soap, whatever it costs. Tabac is mass produced, yet excellent. Soap Commander is run by a small family in Alabama and is also excellent.

I generally don't bother reading ingredient lists. I'm from the "you gotta die of something" school, and living as I do in Chicago, I figure it will probably be something other than soap that does me in. But before you assume that any soap -- artisanal or mass-produced -- contains healthy and safe ingredients, you may want to read up on essential oils, and ask the makers of your preferred soaps about their EO sources. (And if they simply list "fragrance" or "fragrance oils" ... good luck.)

IMO, theres good and bad mass market soaps and there are good and bad artisan soaps. Theres certainly some good to great mass market soaps: Tabac, Speick, Proraso and there are many good to great artisan soaps; too many to list, really.
I wouldnt get too hung up on the ingredients. Some people are going to have a reaction to ingredients that others wont and men have been shaving with canned foam for almost 70 years and theres never been a reliable link made between canned foam and cancer risk.
Besides, if you are going to worry about the risks of shaving soap; you might as well list the other risks that we all face in our daily life and if you are going to do that, you might as well go live in a bubble.
Of all that things that could kill you in this life, shaving soap is probably pretty low on the list.

My only artisan soap sits in the basement as a room deodorizer. It works very good at that. The scent was so strong that it was unusable as a shave soap. I love my $18.00 room deodorizer!

...Conclusion: both mass market and artisan soaps have their place, artisan soaps are better if you want less preservatives and dont mind paying more, but mass market soaps are the better option if you dont mind the extra ingredients or are on a tight budget. Personally i use both artisan and mass market soaps and enjoy them both, but i like the idea of less harmful ingredients and supporting smaller businesses and artisans...

You are already bombarded with chemicals in food, water, air, clothes, etc. Unless you want to live in a cave and wear animal skins then there is no way around it. Use what soap you like. Me, I use both because I like variety.

About the only thing I agree with is the scent. Artisan soap scents are stronger...not necessarily better, but stronger. The ingredients argument I dismissed when you said they "sound dodgy". Just because I can't 100% say something, doesn't mean it's not safe, but that's just me. It's easy to make those "safe" ingredients sound dodgy too. Here is that same list of natural ingredients with the more "chemically" sounding names:

Stearic Acid, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Butyrospermum Parkii Butterate, Sodium Theobroma Cacao Butterate, Sodium Avocadate, Glycerin, Montmorillonite, Essential Oils.

Doesn't sound as pretty or natural.

Also, most of those "dodgy" ingredients are either fragrance or chelating agents that soften the water and allow the soap to function amazingly in all water conditions.
That's why I provided a link, that ingredient doesnt sound dodgy, it is dodgy!

You are already bombarded with chemicals in food, water, air, clothes, etc. Unless you want to live in a cave and wear animal skins then there is no way around it. Use what soap you like. Me, I use both because I like variety.
I wasnt saying dont use mass market soaps, i was just comparing the differences in my experience. I still use mass market soaps, in fact arko is in my top two soaps.

IMO, theres good and bad mass market soaps and there are good and bad artisan soaps. Theres certainly some good to great mass market soaps: Tabac, Speick, Proraso and there are many good to great artisan soaps; too many to list, really.
I wouldnt get too hung up on the ingredients. Some people are going to have a reaction to ingredients that others wont and men have been shaving with canned foam for almost 70 years and theres never been a reliable link made between canned foam and cancer risk.
Besides, if you are going to worry about the risks of shaving soap; you might as well list the other risks that we all face in our daily life and if you are going to do that, you might as well go live in a bubble.
Of all that things that could kill you in this life, shaving soap is probably pretty low on the list.
I wasnt saying mass market soaps are bad, arko is in my top 3 soaps, i was simply comparing the differences in my experience.

Great comparison.

I enjoy the mass market stuff better. Reasons:
Available through out the year
Simple scent options
Don’t go rancid for a long time ( important to a hoarder like me)
Have found most easy to use except MWF
I live in an extremely hot country so the more butters and face pampering ingredients in a soap the greasier my face gets.

But I do agree the small batch soaps have some great scents and less ingredients.

That's why I provided a link, that ingredient doesnt sound dodgy, it is dodgy!

Why is it dodgy? That link told me nothing by the way. Just the benefits of barberry bark. I however looked up the ingredient in question, and found nothing dodgy about it in my mind. It is toxic in high concentration through oral or dermal contact, but a lot of things are. Water for example is even toxic in high enough doses.

I did find the sight you tried to point to, and really, I wouldn’t take it seriously. It takes scientific data out of context. For example, the formaldehyde. It claims there is Formaldehyde in it, but there isn’t. Formaldehyde Is one organic compound that is used to make Tetrasodium EDTA. There is formaldaheyd in it the same way there is chlorine in salt or hydrogen in water.

Why is it dodgy? That link told me nothing by the way. Just the benefits of barberry bark. I however looked up the ingredient in question, and found nothing dodgy about it in my mind. It is toxic in high concentration through oral or dermal contact, but a lot of things are. Water for example is even toxic in high enough doses.

I did find the sight you tried to point to, and really, I wouldn’t take it seriously. It takes scientific data out of context. For example, the formaldehyde. It claims there is Formaldehyde in it, but there isn’t. Formaldehyde Is one organic compound that is used to make Tetrasodium EDTA. There is formaldaheyd in it the same way there is chlorine in salt or hydrogen in water.
I posted the incorrect link there, for some reason whenever i post the correct link it changes to the incorrect one and it only does this on B&b, not on any of the other forums im on.

I don't think I have a preference for mass market or artisan, just whichever strikes my fancy at the time. As long as a soap meets a baseline of performance for me,

I would note though that if the artisan soap you mentioned is actually a soap, it's missing some ingredients. There is no base for those butters to react with to become soap. So either you should see sodium hydroxide and potasium hydroxide, or some saponified fats, such as potassium cocoate and sodium palm kernelate.

Interesting comparison!!

I might add that there may also an intermediate category. Some small companies have been making consistently excellent soaps for a long time. For example, Haslinger has been making excellent (IMO) shaving soaps since the mid-1800s. Not sure that they should be termed ‘mass market.’

Top Bottom