What's new

Arko - Stinks!!!

For the use and results I have had with Arko I think for myself:
If Arko had a more expensive price, would it be so criticized for it's scent? Maybe not.
Some soaps cost a lot more money and have a much inferior performance to arko, and just because they are of a famous brand they tend to have better reviews, when, in fact they are pretty weak soaps and worse than alot of cheap ones, and in forums it is better looked upon to say that the expensive soaps are good because they are of a more known brand (or perhaps because othersay so too) and they feel feel the need to justify the money that has been spent on it, as to not feel like they where "cheated" by the company that sells the soap.
In my opinion Arko has always been, still is and will always be a good soap (as long as they do not change the formula because there may worsen rather than improve it)
ARKO is one of the best shaving soaps in performance vs price.

another great Arko shave today...

arko trumper filarmonica lucky tiger march 25 2019.jpg

This morning I had my absolute best shave with Arko that I have ever had. No irritation, now pre-mature drying out, and all the cushion I could want. I am now seeing the appeal of this soap the more I use it.

Luv the classic packaging but agree that the smell; well for me it reminds me of latrine duty when I was in basic.

Did I mention any label? I just wrote
"If Arko had a more expensive price, would it be so criticized for it's scent? Maybe not."
I have soaps Like Arko, Tabac , Proraso or Pannacrema, Martin de Candre, Boellis, Artisans soaps ..... And if you ask me if I would ever buy the more expensive soaps again?
My answear will be:
No, because "for me" I don't think that the difference of the soaps is enough because I don't feel a big enough difference during or after shaving that deserves that difference in price, and just for the smell I don't think that it deserves it too
Important: I Like the smell of ARKO ;)

No one will ever praise that scent EVER lol!

Did I mention any label? I just wrote
"If Arko had a more expensive price, would it be so criticized for it's scent? Maybe not."
I have soaps Like Arko, Tabac , Proraso or Pannacrema, Martin de Candre, Boellis, Artisans soaps ..... And if you ask me if I would ever buy the more expensive soaps again?
My answear will be:
No, because "for me" I don't think that the difference of the soaps is enough because I don't feel a big enough difference during or after shaving that deserves that difference in price, and just for the smell I don't think that it deserves it too
Important: I Like the smell of ARKO ;)

You're the first ROFL!

I mashed up my 2 sticks of Arko into a tupper wear container mixed with Nivea cream and a shot or 2 of proraso after shave... So much better rofl!

I've got 3 tubs of proraso green, 500g of TFS and about 2 sticks of Arko... That should last me a good 4 to 5 yrs at least lol.

If you work at the CDC and you are used to wearing biohazard pressure suits, getting chemical decontamination baths, you'd probably feel Arko smells cologne like. Which it does. I think.

proxy.php

Smells exactly like Ivory soap to me, but no way to validate scent notes, because Ivory itself doesn't have any scent descriptors. Clean laundry, I suppose, and ten people smelling a bar of Ivory would have ten different descriptions. So close I almost expected the ingredient list to be identical - they're not, but there's always that one ingredient that just says "perfume." For all I know it could BE a round puck of Ivory, with additives. The list (similar or identical ingredients highlighted):

Arko
Potassium Tallowate
, Stearic Acid, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Parfum, Parafinium, Liquidum, Tetrasodium EDTA, Etidronic Acid, Disodium Distrylbiphenly, Disuffonate Amyl Cinnamel, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool

Ivory
Sodium Tallowate
And/Or Sodium Palmate, Water, Sodium Cocoate And/Or Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance, Coconut Acid*, Palm Kernel Acid*, Tallow Acid*, Palm Acid*, Tetrasodium EDTA.

Not identical, and all soap stuff, but there's that elusive "Parfum" and "Fragrance."

Last edited:
I was sent some Arko from a good member/friend. It was used this morning for the first time. I was expecting a lot of lather and was not disappointed. The smell was not a factor I even noticed.

Arko contains glycerin. While the soap is nice, it will probably not replace my usual VDH Luxury.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
recently found a stick of Arko in a local shop and decided as it was only a pound to give it a try,had heard it was an acquired taste but heard the same about Tabac that I love the scent of. i was not prepared for the stench that is Arko, this stuff literally smells like a urinal, actually made me feel a bit queasy, shame as this lathers like a beast, nevermind
I believe it be a lovely scent. To each his own.

As we all age our senses, including sense of smell, diminish, mine haven't diminished enough yet to appreciate Arko.
dave

Arko is a great product, but whatever "parfum" they are putting into it...they might as well leave it out. It's not helping (or at least one HOPES so) and it would be one less chemical in the product.

Top Bottom