What's new

Arko isn't even close to as bad as people made out

I jumped into the deep end of this "hobby" three years ago. I've enjoyed the journey and the learning experience, but in all honesty I could have done just as well with the Arko 12-pack, a decent synthetic brush, a good razor, and a few hundred blades.
Knowing what I know now. I feel the same way.

But since I have been spoiled with a rotation. I've kind of come to like variety.

I always tell myself that since I have more Arko than any other soap. I'll just use up everything and be happy with the Arko I have left.

But I just purchased 3 tubs of shave soap last month. Maybe in a few years this will happen though.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
It's a love/hate thing. It's a decent product, especially for the price point it hits. Some people can't tolerate it's scent, others deem it simply a soap scent.

Are you claiming Arko's performance is equal to or superior to soaps like Grooming Department, Tallow & Steel and Tabac?
I will make the claim Arko > Tabac after having done side-by-side tests with the two sticks. And Tabac is a great soap. For me, Arko is the best performer among these sticks:
Tabac
La Toja
RazoRock (all four colors)
Palmolive
Ogallala Bay Rum
Lea Original
Speick

If you don't like the scent of Arko let it sit out of package for a while and it will
Mellow out. Have a stick that has lost about 80% of its scent although I didn't have a problem with it in the first place. It is very inexpensive but price has gone up in recent years but still a great deal for the number of shaves one can get from a single stick. But my choice is Palmolive Stick due to performance & scent being a bit nicer to my preference, but still keep some Arko on hand. Also check out their Creams and A/S balms as well for excellent value!

Owen Bawn

"Ask me about a fluffernutter"
I used Arko for years among other soaps but this past summer I finally learned how to tune it up. The secret is more water, added a little at a time. That's just common wet shaving sense, but what happened to me with Arko is that it explodes into a thick Santa beard with very little water, and I think I often mistook the thick lather for good lather. I used it every day this year for 'Arko-Sharko August' and I slowly realized that the Santa beard needs to be thinned down considerably with water. The other thing I learned is that I rubbed too much soap on my face, and that less soap + more water = a slick, protective lather. Using a soap every day for a month is a great learning experience.

I used Arko for years among other soaps but this past summer I finally learned how to tune it up. The secret is more water, added a little at a time. That's just common wet shaving sense, but what happened to me with Arko is that it explodes into a thick Santa beard with very little water, and I think I often mistook the thick lather for good lather. I used it every day this year for 'Arko-Sharko August' and I slowly realized that the Santa beard needs to be thinned down considerably with water. The other thing I learned is that I rubbed too much soap on my face, and that less soap + more water = a slick, protective lather. Using a soap every day for a month is a great learning experience.
I think that many people get so caught up in the “peaky yogurty” lather that their shaves really suffer as a result, I know mine sure did. A very wet lather is what I always go for and can care less what it looks like. If the blade slides really well and my face doesn’t tighten up afterwards I know I made the right lather.

Santa beard no good?

1606788285527.jpeg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I don’t understand your question, @hcoop111

Fearing a major league pun has flown over my head and I’m missing out.

Even without understanding the pun, I won’t be missing out on ARKO! at my next shave.

After reading the post yesterday I dug it out and used it. It's been a while. I got an amazing shave with it today. I discovered that if I made the lather a thin soupy mess, the closeness was much better than when I used a thicker lather. It always used to seem to dry out before I was finished with my second pass. Messy, but worth it. Didn't even use my usual pre-shave oil. No need.

I'm on my second Arko stick. The first one lasted a few years, since I only used it while traveling. I am noticing that the new stick lacks the slickness of the old one. I'm troubleshooting that now. One poster had suggested using distilled water, so I will see if that makes a difference and post back.

Top Bottom