What's new

Arko isn't even close to as bad as people made out

I jumped into the deep end of this "hobby" three years ago. I've enjoyed the journey and the learning experience, but in all honesty I could have done just as well with the Arko 12-pack, a decent synthetic brush, a good razor, and a few hundred blades.

Knowing what I know now. I feel the same way.

But since I have been spoiled with a rotation. I've kind of come to like variety.

I always tell myself that since I have more Arko than any other soap. I'll just use up everything and be happy with the Arko I have left.

But I just purchased 3 tubs of shave soap last month. Maybe in a few years this will happen though.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
It's a love/hate thing. It's a decent product, especially for the price point it hits. Some people can't tolerate it's scent, others deem it simply a soap scent.

Are you claiming Arko's performance is equal to or superior to soaps like Grooming Department, Tallow & Steel and Tabac?

I will make the claim Arko > Tabac after having done side-by-side tests with the two sticks. And Tabac is a great soap. For me, Arko is the best performer among these sticks:
Tabac
La Toja
RazoRock (all four colors)
Palmolive
Ogallala Bay Rum
Lea Original
Speick

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Williams smells too mild.

Still in the shipping plastic, the citronella in Williams was very present. I was so lucking forward to a slick, tallowy bargain, but ended up waving goodbye to the pucks without so much as opening the plastic.

If you don't like the scent of Arko let it sit out of package for a while and it will
Mellow out. Have a stick that has lost about 80% of its scent although I didn't have a problem with it in the first place. It is very inexpensive but price has gone up in recent years but still a great deal for the number of shaves one can get from a single stick. But my choice is Palmolive Stick due to performance & scent being a bit nicer to my preference, but still keep some Arko on hand. Also check out their Creams and A/S balms as well for excellent value!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I used Arko for years among other soaps but this past summer I finally learned how to tune it up. The secret is more water, added a little at a time. That's just common wet shaving sense, but what happened to me with Arko is that it explodes into a thick Santa beard with very little water, and I think I often mistook the thick lather for good lather. I used it every day this year for 'Arko-Sharko August' and I slowly realized that the Santa beard needs to be thinned down considerably with water. The other thing I learned is that I rubbed too much soap on my face, and that less soap + more water = a slick, protective lather. Using a soap every day for a month is a great learning experience.

I used Arko for years among other soaps but this past summer I finally learned how to tune it up. The secret is more water, added a little at a time. That's just common wet shaving sense, but what happened to me with Arko is that it explodes into a thick Santa beard with very little water, and I think I often mistook the thick lather for good lather. I used it every day this year for 'Arko-Sharko August' and I slowly realized that the Santa beard needs to be thinned down considerably with water. The other thing I learned is that I rubbed too much soap on my face, and that less soap + more water = a slick, protective lather. Using a soap every day for a month is a great learning experience.

I think that many people get so caught up in the “peaky yogurty” lather that their shaves really suffer as a result, I know mine sure did. A very wet lather is what I always go for and can care less what it looks like. If the blade slides really well and my face doesn’t tighten up afterwards I know I made the right lather.

Santa beard no good?

1606788285527.jpeg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I don’t understand your question, @hcoop111

Fearing a major league pun has flown over my head and I’m missing out.

Even without understanding the pun, I won’t be missing out on ARKO! at my next shave.

After reading the post yesterday I dug it out and used it. It's been a while. I got an amazing shave with it today. I discovered that if I made the lather a thin soupy mess, the closeness was much better than when I used a thicker lather. It always used to seem to dry out before I was finished with my second pass. Messy, but worth it. Didn't even use my usual pre-shave oil. No need.

I'm on my second Arko stick. The first one lasted a few years, since I only used it while traveling. I am noticing that the new stick lacks the slickness of the old one. I'm troubleshooting that now. One poster had suggested using distilled water, so I will see if that makes a difference and post back.

Top Bottom