What's new

Arko isn't even close to as bad as people made out

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just used the Arko Shave stick for the first time today. I've read and seen that it is supposed to have a horrific scent that would turn most people off if it wasn't so affordable. It was fine. It's basically a somewhat lemony-talcum powder-light incense/ash scent and is very reminiscent of barbershops which offered shaves to me. It hardly makes a 'stench' or is so repulsive that it has the mythology so many have given. Its just an ok scent. Pretty much anything that is cheap but needs a scent smells like this tbh. It's not my favourite scent granted, but its very usable and the quality of the shave when used is excellent. Maybe it can go off? I wouldn't be surprised if this stuff sits on shelves for god knows how long before someone buys it...I kept it in a glad wrap bag and its all good. You can't smell it in the bathroom anymore and this was like 5 min after the shave. I'm just confused honestly, I was expecting it to be sooo much worse. Are there different qualities or versions for export? That might be it but otherwise Its very good and great value for the money. If you haven't tried it because of the scent, give it a go. Its certainly not as bad as people make out imo.
I'm VERY disappointed in y'all. How did I not see this thread until now?

As the self appointed "King of Arkoland" I'm really put out that none of my Royal Subjects told me about this. For Shame!

FarmerTan

If you hold a stick up close to your ear you can hear the Arko guy laughing at more expensive, more pretentious soaps.

PS: once you've opened a stick, the lemon scent doesn't last. Long before you're half-way through it will have become very mild.
I just purchased a 12 pack. NO LIE ALERT!:
My lovely War Department LOVES the smell. (Yeah, y'all can't have her. She still loves me when I'm sleeping or she ain't around!)

So this 12 pack (I have no idea why I thought it would be bigger looking) is still in the living room. We heat with wood, which means it's always too warm, lol, and we move the heat around with several fans. All day I've been catching scents of heaven wafting around my Lazyarseboy. If I walk next to the dresser it's sitting on, BANG! Arkoman slugs me in the face.

All of these sticks are wrapped up like from the magical factory run by Elves where it's made. Wonderful stuff.

I get a kick out of the folks that hate it. I fully believe it's a memory locked into the brain from a scent trigger.

My lovely War Department and I discussed it. She has had a job of one kind or another since childhood, like me. In the dark ages, when we were kids, you could work a job without Big Brother protecting you from earning cash for gasoline in your tank, etc.

She worked as a janitor in her church growing up, and as many have mentioned, Arko has that clean, lemony, citronella smell associated with men's urinals. If you happen to be one of those unfortunate souls that had yer teeth kicked in by an irate boyfriend in a restroom of a bar, you might only be a redneck, you might also hate Arko.

If you happen to be one of the Chosen few people who enjoys the memory of scrubbing church toilets with your young bride to help pay the bills, you might just LOVE the smell.

Free advice: certain pharmacy pill bottles hold the Arkoman perfectly, hermetically sealing that smell for DECADES (I think) so it doesn't fade. You are welcome!

Last edited:

FarmerTan

I like the scent of Arko but just for a test this morning, I added a few drops of aftershave to my Arko (bowl pressed) and lathered up. Results were fairly pleasant. Personally I find it unnecessary to change the scent
I rubbed some Brut bath soap on half my face and Arko on the other not too long ago. Swirled it all together and WOW! Really nice smelling, performing combination my friend!

I haven't had a sip of alcohol in a few years, but when I did my drink of choice was Johnnie Walker Black Label. And then I decided I wanted to find a "higher quality" drink. I tried several, spent a lot of money, and finally settled on JWBL. It's readily available, relatively inexpensive, and the results are the same.

And this brings me back to Arko. I can't think of (nor have I tried) too many other shaving soaps that are readily available, relatively inexpensive (less than fifty cents per ounce), and result in a quality shave with the necessary cushion and slickness. I've read several posts complaining about the scent of Arko, but rarely (as in almost never) about the performance. I don't have a problem with the scent, but I wonder if the number of complaints would be the same if Arko produced an unscented version of the stick without changing anything else...

This is what was running through my head as I was fortunate enough to be able to enjoy a most relaxing shave this morning. I wish you all a good day and a great shave. Be well, be safe, and get outside if you can.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I haven't had a sip of alcohol in a few years, but when I did my drink of choice was Johnnie Walker Black Label. And then I decided I wanted to find a "higher quality" drink. I tried several, spent a lot of money, and finally settled on JWBL. It's readily available, relatively inexpensive, and the results are the same.

And this brings me back to Arko. I can't think of (nor have I tried) too many other shaving soaps that are readily available, relatively inexpensive (less than fifty cents per ounce), and result in a quality shave with the necessary cushion and slickness. I've read several posts complaining about the scent of Arko, but rarely (as in almost never) about the performance. I don't have a problem with the scent, but I wonder if the number of complaints would be the same if Arko produced an unscented version of the stick without changing anything else...

This is what was running through my head as I was fortunate enough to be able to enjoy a most relaxing shave this morning. I wish you all a good day and a great shave. Be well, be safe, and get outside if you can.
Amen brother. The only whiskies under my sink are Powers Irish and Old Overholt rye. Powers is several dollars cheaper than Jameson, and much better. No interest in $150 bottles of Midleton. Old Overholt was only $14 a liter 10 years ago, but then the hipsters 'discovered' rye and that drove the price up. That's why I'm happy to see a new generation of traditional shavers moaning about Williams and Arko. Keeps the price nice and low for the likes of you and me.

Arko is not Arko without its signature scent imo.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I can’t have strong citronella scents in the house. Asthma trigger. The Arko loses most of that scent when the sticks are taken from their cardboard box and aired out in the creepy side of the basement. Then, the second wave of citronella airs out in the shower where a lone stick is at the ready to load whiskers after the shower. Then, it’s like Ivory soap with a whiff of patchouli. My unopened sample of Mama Bear Nag Champa smells almost identical.

In contrast, the three-pack of Williams was much stronger than the 12-pack of Arko despite being much less soap and despite being sealed in plastic. So my friend, Billy, got that box. He’s not a shaving weirdo, but the stuff had his name on it and his wife doesn’t mind citronella. I hear so much great things about Williams - even modern Williams - but I’ve descended from a line of grasshoppers or something, so I’ll never know.

For the first time, I bought a puck of Arko 2 weeks ago. I didn't find the scent offensive at all. It provides a great lather for the razor to give me a ice shave. It's inexpensive. It hits all my boxes for me. I am glad that I have it in my den.

FarmerTan

For the first time, I bought a puck of Arko 2 weeks ago. I didn't find the scent offensive at all. It provides a great lather for the razor to give me a ice shave. It's inexpensive. It hits all my boxes for me. I am glad that I have it in my den.
It's long been my belief it was on the Ark, that Noah and his sons used it. Don't scholars think the Ark came to rest on a mountain in Turkey?

Refute that wisdom my friends!

I have lots of other stuff, but my "go-to" rig is an old bakelite Star DE with a potmetal cap, a Personna med-prep blade, and Arko. That's the stuff I keep out the counter and what I shave with almost every day.

FarmerTan

I have lots of other stuff, but my "go-to" rig is an old bakelite Star DE with a potmetal cap, a Personna med-prep blade, and Arko. That's the stuff I keep out the counter and what I shave with almost every day.
It's weird how after you've done this awhile, some of us just have a certain "setup" that we keep going back to. For me it's like comfort food.

It's weird how after you've done this awhile, some of us just have a certain "setup" that we keep going back to. For me it's like comfort food.

There two types of people, I guess. Those who search and find something that works great for them, and then they are done searching, and then there are those who want to try every thing out there and never settle.

True with all sorts of things.

FarmerTan

Not only that but I heard Arko is going to o a drop next Wednesday at noon. Hope I can get some!
This is the kinda stuff that is going to get me banned from all the middle aged people's favorite social media site! You start an ugly rumor, I take the bait, I explode, and get unfriended.

FarmerTan

There two types of people, I guess. Those who search and find something that works great for them, and then they are done searching, and then there are those who want to try every thing out there and never settle.

True with all sorts of things.
Yep. And help the soul that has MULTIPLE acquisition disorders to deal with!

Top Bottom