What's new

Are you staying invested in the market?

The thing that stock markets hate is uncertainty. Now that most federal and state elections are decided, there is less uncertainty over the direction the country will take.

The Dow Jones reached a low point in March. For the S&P 500, the low point was Oct 14. However, the S&P has gained about 12% since then. That contrasts to the best online money market funds that earn 3% interest. My bank is only paying 0.3% for all but the largest accounts. With inflation around 7.5%, savings are losing buying power every day.

Between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, consumers spent over $20 billion dollars. In spite of higher prices, consumers were still inclined to buy, enticed by sale prices after Thanksgiving. However, for those who purchased using credit cards or buy now pay later deals, a day of reckoning will come.

So for now, most investors see stocks as the most effective place for their money. That is why the markets are going up. However, with many companies laying off employees, even a few weeks before Christmas, there is no way to predict with certainty what the future will bring.

The thing that stock markets hate is uncertainty. Now that most federal and state elections are decided, there is less uncertainty over the direction the country will take.

The Dow Jones reached a low point in March. For the S&P 500, the low point was Oct 14. However, the S&P has gained about 12% since then. That contrasts to the best online money market funds that earn 3% interest. My bank is only paying 0.3% for all but the largest accounts. With inflation around 7.5%, savings are losing buying power every day.

Between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, consumers spent over $20 billion dollars. In spite of higher prices, consumers were still inclined to buy, enticed by sale prices after Thanksgiving. However, for those who purchased using credit cards or buy now pay later deals, a day of reckoning will come.

So for now, most investors see stocks as the most effective place for their money. That is why the markets are going up. However, with many companies laying off employees, even a few weeks before Christmas, there is no way to predict with certainty what the future will bring.

“Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future.”​

― Niels Bohr

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
As they say, a blind squirrel will occasionally find an acorn. The corollary is that a drunk will occasionally stumble into a winning poker hand.
My last friendly game of poker was 25 years ago. I'd been sober for years. They begged me to be the fourth hand. I told them I could only play for a half hour. They said fine. I won all five hands and was once beat on the board without even showing my hole cards, but the fellow folded anyway. I TRIED to lose the last two hands and couldn't. I made $25 in 30 minutes.

Lol, like candy from a baby! I do miss the mental stimulation of poker though.

The SP500 was about 3900 when this discussion started on 9/18/2022. It is now about 4070, for a gain of roughly 4.35%. Much of this gain was from last Thursday’s whopping 3% rise. To me the lesson is that if you weren’t in the market on Thursday you missed out. The only way not to miss out is to be in.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but the S&P closed today at 4282. That is up 9.7% from last September. Not bad considering the rocky road it took to get here.

Top Bottom