What's new

Are you staying invested in the market?

There’s an investing saying that goes like this: Don’t just do something, sit there! I’ll add to that and say BUY MORE TOO!

I’ve been dollar-cost-averaging since 2001. When crashes occur, I double-down on my weekly tax-free (short-term) investments. You have to prepare to lose in the short-term and win in the long-term. And also not to follow the herd who are way too emotional and don’t have a plan in place to actually make money. I’m on auto-pilot investing. I buy the same S&P small cap ETF whether the markets booming or in the toilet. Since I have 20+ years to go I don’t care about the next 5-10 years. If they’re bad that long I’ll buy my ETF’s at a hefty discount!

So yes, a resounding YES!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
About a decade ago, I invested 5% of my net worth in BTC and have sat on most of it ever since. Now my BTC represents about 75% of my net worth.

I have become quite use to volatility so I'm staying in my investments, BTC, stock and real estate. You only loose if you have to sell when the markets are down. My cash reserves are enough to keep me for about 10 years. Hopefully that will see me through this coming markets downturn.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Got burned in 2008 when the market crashed, anyone else pulling out of the market?
Depending on your health situation I pulled out 2 years ago and just lived off my company's pension and Canada Pension plan & savings and because my health is not the best, why worry while I pile into GIC for a little while. Inflation is still stubbornly high and the Federal reserve both in USA & Bank of Canada reserve will just raise interest rates until they are back to 2% inflation per year before there is any interest rate relief. The economy is in for some rough sledding over the next 2-3 years possibly IMO(I hope I'm wrong).
Energy stocks might weather the storm because of the (Ukraine War) that's still on going, who knows all the answers? I use to stock trade a lot on my own and loss lots but made more money than I ever lost and paid a lot of stuff off with winnings and banked some for those rainy days of changing times.
Gold & silver are manipulated by the banking cartels if anyone is interested so be careful of hype, gold should be much higher because of inflation but it is controlled by very few with strong hands in the banking system IMO.
Good luck and steer a good course through the interest rate hikes for a while they calm the economy & energy issues.

I have never been in the market, other than a low risk, and therefore low return on investment, retirement plan. I always took the advice not to invest in the market more than one could afford to lose to heart. Instead, I have paid off debt so that I can live comfortably on my current income and should be just as comfortable when I retire.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The quick answer is that I already got out (pretty much) and don't see myself getting back in to any great extent any time soon. I don't really mind the volatility, but I got tired of putting in the hours to take advantage of that volatility. The quick story is that I was a very active investor from around 1995 until late 2019 (really early 2020, but I was a good 80%+ out by the end of 2019). I made a bunch of money doing that, but I learned a few very important things along the way.

The largest assets to investing in the stock market are volatility and liquidity. If you aren't willing to take advantage of at least one of those (both really), then you probably have better options out there. Volatility only is good if you have a very long outlook (at least 5 years and more like 10) or you are willing to put in a lot of time for monitoring and research. Liquidity only is good if you are willing to close a position when its time (gain or loss).

Accessibility used to be a great asset of the publicly traded market, but that's changed a lot in recent years. More investment vehicles have become more accessible to many investors, and it looks like that trend is continuing.

If you cannot stomach volatility and you are not willing to take advantage of the volatility (and you are not willing to pay someone to do that for you), then might be better off finding an alternative.

I've got a decade and a half until retirement, so I'm holding the line. Dollar cost averaging will pay off in the long run, I won't make any significant moves until I'm much closer to that final paycheck date.
I like that dollar cost averaging, and if you are invested in dividend paying stocks, I would recommend reinvesting those dividends right back into the stock, (again, that is what I would do based on my situation).

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1663623209992.png

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I lost quite a bit of my 401 k in 2008. In 2016 I put all my eggs into a Stable Value Fund, since retirement was just around the corner and i was not willing to lose anything. It does not give you the big gains one could get with being heavily invested in stocks. But, I did not loose anything over the last few years.

I retired in 2013. Like everyone else, my portfolio dropped in 2008. However, it came back. I still have more now, even with the decline in the market this year, than I did when I retired. The problem is that I am now at the point of having to take required minimum distributions, so I will have to pull out funds while the market is down.

If you are younger, the stock market and owning your own home are the best investments you can make long term. The problem with pulling out of the market is that you never know when to get back in. The way to make money is to buy low and sell high, but fearful people buy when the market is near its peak, thinking it will go even higher, and sell when the market tanks, thinking it might go even lower.

Those who trade in gold try to make you think that gold is the "world's only real currency". The truth is that it is a commodity to be bought and sold like any other commodity. Gold is just easier to store than barrels of oil or bushels of corn and wheat. If owning gold is so great, why do those who possess gold want to sell it to you? Why don't they just hold onto it? Gold prices fluctuate based on supply and demand, just as any other commodity. Gold prices peaked at $2050 USD per ounce in March 2022 and are now below $1700, a 17% drop, similar to the decline in the Dow Jones Industrial index. Because gold is used in such things as circuit boards, the price for gold is closely tied to the health of the overall economy, just like the stock market.

I retired in 2013. Like everyone else, my portfolio dropped in 2008. However, it came back. I still have more now, even with the decline in the market this year, than I did when I retired. The problem is that I am now at the point of having to take required minimum distributions, so I will have to pull out funds while the market is down.

If you are younger, the stock market and owning your own home are the best investments you can make long term. The problem with pulling out of the market is that you never know when to get back in. The way to make money is to buy low and sell high, but fearful people buy when the market is near its peak, thinking it will go even higher, and sell when the market tanks, thinking it might go even lower.

Those who trade in gold try to make you think that gold is the "world's only real currency". The truth is that it is a commodity to be bought and sold like any other commodity. Gold is just easier to store than barrels of oil or bushels of corn and wheat. If owning gold is so great, why do those who possess gold want to sell it to you? Why don't they just hold onto it? Gold prices fluctuate based on supply and demand, just as any other commodity. Gold prices peaked at $2050 USD per ounce in March 2022 and are now below $1700, a 17% drop, similar to the decline in the Dow Jones Industrial index. Because gold is used in such things as circuit boards, the price for gold is closely tied to the health of the overall economy, just like the stock market.

The good news is taxes are on current market value. Excellent time to take money you won't need for 5 - 6 years and withdraw into a Roth. Less taxes down the road.

Top Bottom