What's new

Are you a perfectionist in shaving

Perfectionist is the motivation of being a wet-shaver.
I am always not satisfied with the using cartridge razors.
Nowadays I still very care about some stubble not cut.
As a result, I often need more passes and irritation is nearly inevitable.
Are you also a perfectionist in shaving like me?
Greatly appreciate your sharing.

Each shave is a different animal. Some days, I whack off those whiskers like a Panzer division cutting through Belgium. Other days, I have stubble that just wants to hang around. But I have learned that two careful passes and then a little touch-up is all that my skin can take at one time. So I have a little stubble left? No big deal; I'll be shaving again in 24.

As a perfectionist in every other aspect of life, I have to pace myself with shaving because too much will irritate my skin. So I put a lot of effort into getting it right with the first pass... I'll be feeling the stubble and grumbling at myself for the rest of the day when I screw up.

I do one pass WTG and sometimes a second pass XTG. If I missed anything I'll do a touch-up. That's it. I don't worry that it's perfect, I'll be shaving again tomorrow.

A couple months into DE shaving I tried the perfectionist route. Feeling stubble when I ran my hand against my neck after a shave annoyed me as would seeing any leftover stubble. So on many shaves I would try some different techniques to try to get a BBS. These included extra ATG passes, stretching the skin from my jawline up to my cheek and going ATG, blade buffing after 2 passes, skipping an XTG pass and applying a little pressure. Nicks and irritation would result nearly every time. After a couple months of that I decided a DFS was fine especially since I shave every day.

I think trying to get a BBS every shave was driven by memories of my cartridge shaving days when I shaved every other day. I remember feeling like I was getting really close shaves from a 3 blade cartridge and could skip a day. Looking back now I don't think I was getting a BBS consistently because I wasn't checking my face nearly as close as I did after getting into DE.

I have the perfectionist tendency, but I have had to moderate it. Once I discovered DE shaving earlier this year, it became possible to get a BBS every day with enough passes. However, I have learned to limit passes to 2 - WTG/ATG and touch -ups. Much more than this and I cross the line into irritation, so shaving is a balancing act for me.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Not really; Once I found I could do a BBS, I don't chase it so much. Perfectionism can be an addiction and interfere with a lot of joy in life.

I've always done 4 full passes with a 5th clean up.

Always a perfect shave.

5th pass soap applied with hand feeling for any stubble which gets taken care of.

With a DE razor I can usually get a BBS with two passes and a touch-up.

Now that I think of it, the touch-up might equal a third pass.

I do one pass WTG and sometimes a second pass XTG. If I missed anything I'll do a touch-up. That's it. I don't worry that it's perfect, I'll be shaving again tomorrow.

I totally agree. I get as good as I possibly can as I know that in another 24hrs I'll be doing it all over again :thumbup1:

Top Bottom