What's new

Are Wolfman razors really absolute best by far?

Well that is certainly a horrible way to conduct business. I dont blame you for not wanting to do business with them. I haven’t seen those type of experiences lately and will hope that all production issues are resolved. I hope my experience will be different.
Yes, it's not ideal. But in fairness, I know what it like with startups. Unfortunately, managing customer expectations can't always be a top priority. It's funny really because had I been told something certain like "it will be a year", I would have been fine. But to wait all of that time, not be contacted, and then be told that I should look at other razor companies was just too much for me. I've been fortunate with many things in life and experience has taught me that nothing is so special that you should ever compromise your values. I do hope your experience is different, please keep me posted.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I often need to remind myself that a razors (generally) sole job is to hold a razor blade…

The way the blade is held, at which angle, with which gap, if it maybe is clamped down heavily or even torsioned and stiffened. The distance to the bar or comb. That's a lot of little things that must be right to guarantee a pleasant and injury free shave.

We could clamp a razor blade between two stiff plates or fingers and shave, would be quite adventurous.

Just the blade... the very same blade in different razors can make quite a difference, and these things are just fractions of a mm thick.

At a certain point personal preferences how the razor is made come into play. For instance, I like to shave steep. Others start with a neutral angle while some are natural shallow shavers riding the cap.

The other job of the razor is to appeal to me. That's why very few of my razors are satin/matte. I prefer machined or polished, I want that steel to shine. And preferably no coating. That's just a pet peeve, no coating means no coating can go away over time.

We have seen some makers like Rocnel react to the free market. They made some much lower priced entry level razors that apparently rock, though they are still high priced.

In the end it is up to people to decide how much they want to pay for something. And try stopping collectors from spending ridiculous sums for their hobby or collection. Shaving is still a relatively inexpensive pasttime compared to car tuning. Photography (cameras and accessories) and music (instruments) are worse.

Though I must say the difference between a very inexpensive razor and a luxury one is much, much less apparent than between a 150 bucks and a 15.000 bucks clarinet.

Problem with that is not all blade holders are created equal and give the same results from one tool to the next and is why we constantly are having this debate!! :a52:
Yeah, I get it… I also believe people tend to overthink it and place an over emphasis on razors and even blades.

IMG_0725.jpeg

Yeah, I get it… I also believe people tend to overthink it and place an over emphasis on razors and even blades.

People have something in 2024 we did not have in 1954, CREDIT CARDS to play with, acquired debit, and over spend with. Back in 1950's about the only credit was local store if owner trusted you, the one credit card that was available to special people who had history of paying bills was SEARS n Roebuck Credit Card.

If people had to pay for stuff as they go today living on what they make, I think companies like Wolfman would be not around. Credit Card make paying over time easy, and most people don't understand TRUE Cost of item with up to 20% PLUS INTEREST they pay for privilege of buying now.

YES I use my VISA to buy everything from A to Z products, pay balance in full, and get 2% Reward.

At one time I had a BB Ti, Timeless Ti .95 and a Wolfman 1.25 SS. I still have the Wolfman. I never really loved shaving with the BB, even after ~100 shaves. The Timeless and the Wolfman shaved pretty much the same for me. I let my Timeless go only because someone was looking for one and I wasn't using it enough to justify keeping it.

I will admit, if I didn't pick my Wolfman up from a trusted member on B&B at a very fair price, I probably wouldn't own one. I'm not into waiting and new Wolfies are a bit too pricey for my pocketbook.
Who did you buy that Wolfman from ? 😂😂😂

People have something in 2024 we did not have in 1954, CREDIT CARDS to play with, acquired debit, and over spend with. Back in 1950's about the only credit was local store if owner trusted you, the one credit card that was available to special people who had history of paying bills was SEARS n Roebuck Credit Card.

If people had to pay for stuff as they go today living on what they make, I think companies like Wolfman would be not around. Credit Card make paying over time easy, and most people don't understand TRUE Cost of item with up to 20% PLUS INTEREST they pay for privilege of buying now.

YES I use my VISA to buy everything from A to Z products, pay balance in full, and get 2% Reward.
I can still remember the name of the first credit card I ever saw, THE DINER'S CLUB.

Agree with mozartman. I've really come to like my adjustables. If I get another, which I really hope not too, it will likely be another. Nothing against them, but I had a bad experience ordering a Wolfman back in 2015, then again in 2016, after which I gave up. Life is short y'know.
Just to be clear here, I am not making a comparison between the Gillette Slim and a high-end modern razor with a waiting list I have never tried. In fact, for me the exposed blade tabs on vintage Gillette razors, including the Slim, are a major negative. But I do agree with speedwell that if I ever spent real money for another razor, it would have to be an adjustable.

Why is it you have such a hard time with people that want to buy a Wolfman razor or for that fact any razor that is high dollar? I can understand that you don't see the value in them but not everyone thinks the way you do!! There's a reason why they no longer make Gillette adjustables or even Tech razors, people wanted something different... Just let folks buy what they want and be happy for them that they purchased what they wanted!!

Why is it you have such a hard time with people that want to buy a Wolfman razor or for that fact any razor that is high dollar? I can understand that you don't see the value in them but not everyone thinks the way you do!! There's a reason why they no longer make Gillette adjustables or even Tech razors, people wanted something different... Just let folks buy what they want and be happy for them that they purchased what they wanted!!

Actually you only 1/2 Right, I do not see the reason someone NEEDS a $600.00 Plus Razor to perform a simple task of hold razor blade, to remove beard.

I will let you research why Gillette quit making Vintage Type DE Razors.

Last edited:
Amen.

I do not see the reason someone NEEDS a $600.00 Plus Razor to perform a simple task of hold razor blade, to remove beard.
Why does someone have to have a reason that makes sense to you why they want to spend $600 on a blade holder? Do these people tell you how to spend your money? I don't think so, so why should you be able to tell them how to spend theirs? Just enjoy the hobby as a whole and be happy that people are spending money to make themselves happy about what they use nowadays. There's no need to always question a high dollar buy or sale... Its like a broken record!! Can't we all just get along?

There is always reason person makes purchase, some good, some bad.

Pressure to have.

Peer Pressure.

Research the item you intend to purchase say it appears best.

Salesman who sold you something you did not want, or need, or unwanted color? Happen frequently in auto shopping.

Another reason is person feels item will make them happy.

Sales, sales strategy, and the science of selling is an interesting topic.

May grandfather was a funny guy, he would give me a dollar with condition before I spend it, I had to tell him my intensions. Then he would make me justify did I want, or need.
mad2.gif

BTW I have not told anyone how to spend their Money, just make my opinion known.

Top Bottom