What's new

Are there any alcohol based aftershaves that contain good things for your skin?

Yes, alcohol is efficient after shave, but for those who have dry skin, it is drying !

Yes, but some alcohol-based splashes contain moisturising ingredients that compensate to a certain extent. FI, Blue Floïd AS is loaded with glycerin, so even girly men - ahem, gentlemen with sensitive skin - :)wink: ) can use it safely. It is also a matter of applying the AS correctly: the area around my mouth is more prone to dryness, so I start by rubbing my AS on my neck and cheeks and finish off by dabbing what is left on my chin and under my nose. This way, most of the product will come into contact with the area most likely to suffer burn - the neck. YMMV.

When I use Musgo Real Classic A/S, I don't need a balm after this one, but when I use something like Aqua Velva, Old Spice, Mennen or something similar, I always take OLIVIA's A/S balm, Herban Cowboy or Lavera, that's absolute great stuff:thumbup:

Yes, but some alcohol-based splashes contain moisturising ingredients that compensate to a certain extent. FI, Blue Floïd AS is loaded with glycerin, so even girly men - ahem, gentlemen with sensitive skin - :)wink: ) can use it safely. It is also a matter of applying the AS correctly: the area around my mouth is more prone to dryness, so I start by rubbing my AS on my neck and cheeks and finish off by dabbing what is left on my chin and under my nose. This way, most of the product will come into contact with the area most likely to suffer burn - the neck. YMMV.

That's a good technique.

The goodies added to A/S splashes (glycerin, aloe...) may be moisturizing for oily skins, but not so much for dry ones

My skin was dry, visibly so if I only used cold water or witch hazel (which I used for years just fine- maybe I'm getting old!) so I tried using balms, they were OK, but when I started using Musgo Real and Dr Harris aftershaves, they were just perfect. If you have extremely dry skin, you may require all the oils emulsified in a balm, but it's worth trying a splash on its own to see if it works.

My skin was dry, visibly so if I only used cold water or witch hazel (which I used for years just fine- maybe I'm getting old!) so I tried using balms, they were OK, but when I started using Musgo Real and Dr Harris aftershaves, they were just perfect. If you have extremely dry skin, you may require all the oils emulsified in a balm, but it's worth trying a splash on its own to see if it works.

So, cold water dried your skin out?

Also, not all the balms are necessarely non-drying ; the Nivea Mild A-s Balm (not the sensitive) has denat.alcohol as its second ingredient, and is not so mositurizing (and it's a bit drying).

This is an interesting topic. I used to have a bad problem with ingrown hairs on my neck that was seemingly impossible to solve. After doing some research (including finding this awesome site :)), I changed my shaving habits to using a DE, shaving brush and good cream. After I shave, I lightly rub my neck with a bit of alcohol, followed by aftershave balm (usually T&H 1805 or Trafalger balm). This method has solved the problem. I remember seeing somewhere (I think on this site), that alcohol can help with ingrown hair issues if used after shaving. I would certainly vouch for that. I've also used Taylors St. James aftershave "lotion." Taylors calls it lotion (must be a British term), but its more of an aftershave splash which I'm pretty sure contains alcohol.

All the best,

Mike

Cold water didn't dry my skin out, copious soap did- it removes oils. Creams did too, but not to such an extent. The cold water did'nt put anything back though. But an alcohol splash with glycerin provided exactly the moisturisation I need, plus a free wake-up tingle on my skin!

Using a splash followed by a balm seems a good idea if you need the extra moisturisation, particularly good if the scents match or one of them is unscented. That way you get the best of both!

Another reason for the efficacy of splashes is that the alcohol is acidic. Soap leaves your skin somewhat alkaline, so the ethanol brings it back to its original state. Furthermore, razorburn usually results from shaving too hard and removing the acid mantle of the skin (which would dio a fairly good job of maintaining pH even with all the soap being rubbed on it). When this has been carved off, along with a lot of skin cells, your skin goes "arrrrgh!" gets red, hurts etc. Then a spash of alcohol is most effective in resoring acidity, as well as sealing off that exposed layer of skin cels.

I didn't know they reduced ingrowns, never troubled me. I wonder how that works?

This thread certainly produced some great dialogue about the question of whether alcoholis good or bad for your skin. (or maybe its neither good nor bad)

Not being a dermatologist, I can only offer anicdotal observations.:blink:

1) after refining my shaving techniques, I can now do something that I could not do before. Spalsh on alcohol based aftershaves after a really close shave without much pain. In the past, in my Mach3 days, it hurt like hell. Now its only a mild and brief stinging sensation. Often its only a really, really light sensation.:001_rolle

2) My elderly dad has used alcohol based aftershaves 7 days a week for about 63 years. And his skin looks great for his age.:thumbup1:

Well...me personally I use Thayers superhazel wich will make you forget that you even had razor burn, but it also has a nice cooling effect. Just so my skin don't dry out I use almond oil or jojoba oil, then Burts bees bay rum aftershave balm.

Personally, I just plain find that certain alcohol aftershaves just plain make my skin feel better than anything else. ESPECIALLY after a rough shave. Sure, the Aqua Velva may burn like anything for 30 seconds if you really skin yourself. But you will feel better after. Suck it up. Really, in the right mindset, the intense burn is quite refreshing.

I find Musgo Real is just great, if a little pricey. Aqua Velva is the best bargain ever. $3.50 and it really really makes the skin feel good. Glycerin.

-Mo

Yes, Aqua Velva does make the skin feel pretty good. I find it much more enjoyable to put on than expensive aftershaves. I almost hate to say that having just bought two pricey ones. But that old blue stuff is still really nice. It has sych an 'old time' feel and look to it. When you compare it to, say, skinbracer, Aqua Velva has more of a stronger alcohol smell to it, but at the same time it has depth as well.

I asked a couple of questions here earlier: what is the most conservative scent a man can wear, and, what is your favourite fragrance under 10 bucks? I'd say that for the former, Aqua Velva is a very strong contender. And for the latter is is #1.

I asked a couple of questions here earlier: what is the most conservative scent a man can wear, and, what is your favourite fragrance under 10 bucks? I'd say that for the former, Aqua Velva is a very strong contender. And for the latter is is #1.

I've been told by my girlfriend that Aqua Velva scent does not last long at all, although she really likes the way I smell after applying it.

As for the most conservative.... Well, none, really. But other than that, hmm.... Hard to say. BB 1818, in my limited experience. And as for under $10, who knows. Probably something by Mama Bear or SCS. Not Aqua Velva, though. I enjoy the scent to splash on myself, but it is not something I actually really want to be smelling like.

-Mo

I've had the same experience with Aqua Velva - does not last long, but you smell nice for a little while. And its never overpowering. Its such an honest scent. Honest, in that there is nothing artificial about it. It smells just a touch medicine like, but also very masculine.

I would still like to know what the original stuff was like in 1919,before 1935 when they came out with the ice blue. But it probably wasn't all that great or it would still be around.

I don't think we have Aqua Velva in England, and in any case the radioactive blue colour is quite ofputting. We can get Old Spice however.

Nancy Boy's Aftershave ingredients include
Aloe vera, glycerin, distilled water, essential oils, witch hazel, propylene glycol, alcohol.

So it has alcohol while also containing ingredients that are good for the skin- and honestly if makes my skin feel great every time I use it... If its a particularly dry day outside, I put on some of their facial cream (also amazing) after, and I'm set...

The last couple of days I've used Tabac splash AS. My skin hasn't looked this good in months. I just apply a drop of Harris AS milk afterwards - this seems to be a great combo.

I have been using Sea Breeze for well over 10 years as an aftershave and works really well (Active Ingredients:Water, SD Alcohol 40B, Glycerin, Benzoic Acid, Camphor, Clove Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Fragrance, FD&C Blue No.1.).

Nancy Boy's Aftershave ingredients include
Aloe vera, glycerin, distilled water, essential oils, witch hazel, propylene glycol, alcohol.

So it has alcohol while also containing ingredients that are good for the skin- and honestly if makes my skin feel great every time I use it... If its a particularly dry day outside, I put on some of their facial cream (also amazing) after, and I'm set...

I strongly second your endorsement of those NB products. I am almost out of their ASB and I like it a lot-- it smells good, does not sting much if at all, and most importantly for me, is the right consistency-- sort of a gel that stays where you put it yet gets absorbed without much effort. Contrast that to eShave White Tea After Shave Cream which I recently picked up (after reading the interview with one of the owners posted on B&B). I have to work hard to get that stuff completely absorbed, and sometime I need to towel off a little excess.

Regarding the NB face cream-- I think it is just amazing stuff. If your face is feeling sore after too close a shave, I find it is wonderful AFTER the ASB. Bascially, I have gotten to the point where I put it on every night before bed almost as a mask. I know this is not the most masculine activity-- I have watched my SWMBO do this for years-- but so what, it works, and seems to balance out the too dry/too oily aspects of my complexion.

One more thought-- I think the nature of your skin changes significantly over the years. What you thought your skin was like when you were younger is not what your skin is now. My skin is much thinner and much dryer now (in my 40's) than it was a couple of decades ago, when my main issue was oily skin.

Vin

I probably wouldn't enjoy it if it has no burn, I really like the sensation of a high alcohol splash. The only problem with Musgo Real is you don't really feel it. From what I've read here, I should try Pinaud Bay Rum, but unfortunately it isn't available in the UK.

Top Bottom