What's new

Are there any alcohol based aftershaves that contain good things for your skin?

We all know that alcohol is just plain bad for your skin. But there are probably others like me here who secretly enjoy alcohol based aftershaves. After a great shave, its best to use a good balm. But even the best balms can't provide the clean feeling that an alcohol based a/s can provide. I don't use them every day, but I certainly do use them now and then. Also, I have found that with the increasing quality of my shaves, the painfull effects of using an alcohol a/s is greatly reduced. Anyone else had this experience? Anyway, I just wondering if anyone knew if there were any alcohol based after shaves that are somehow actually good for your skin.

M

modern man

I beg to differ on the alcohol I think is great for your skin, closes pours and tones skin.

examples

Pinaud clubman
Aqua Velva
Masters Bay Rum
Burts bee's
Even Thayer's/Dickenson's Witch Hazel has Alcohol
etc.etc.etc.

Once again YMMV. :biggrin:

I think the only reason it's "bad" for your skin is that it dries it out. I don't use them because most of them stink.

Until I began to frequent B&B, I ONLY used alcohol-based after shaves(Old Spice, Pinaud Clubman, Brut, Aqua Velva, etc.). After reading many posts regarding after shave balms, I decided to give them a try. I'm with you, regarding my personal preference, in that I still like the alcohol-based after shaves (my new favorite: Lucky Tiger Aspen, to which I added Dickinson's Witch Hazel - probably 60% Lucky Tiger/40% Witch Hazel). I enjoy the slight burning sensation, as well as the clean feeling I get after the product dries. Not to mention, I get all the benefits of Witch Hazel, without the "stink"... although some enjoy the fragrance of natural Witch Hazel, as well as some of the scented variety of Thayer's (which I've never tried).

Again, this is only my personal preference. I can not give an educated opinion on whether or not it is good/bad for your skin. My advice: try anything you can get your hands on, and learn what works for YOUR particular skin, keeping season/climate changes in mind. I'm Italian, and the only time I have issue with dry skin is during the cold, dry Winter months. It is then that I find the balms to be most beneficial. As for the rest of the year, my skin tends to become borderline oily. So, 9-10 months out of the year, I'm still an alcoholic!

-Pete

I love Old Spice very much. Use it 3 out of 7. BUT there''s nothing like Musgo Real Classic After Shave which actually must have a moisterizer mixed in and my fave for the winter is Musgo Real Balsam (Balm) which is moisturer that does it's job without you knowing (no greasy feeling).
Stay Well,
Lee

Well, I know what Stauff will say. So, I won't steal his thunder. However, I will say I love IT and IT is the only splash I now use.:biggrin:

I use a combination - Aqua Velva for the disinfecting and irritation-killing, then something like Nivea, QED, or Pre de Provence for moisturizing.

I love Old Spice very much. Use it 3 out of 7. BUT there''s nothing like Musgo Real Classic After Shave which actually must have a moisterizer mixed in and my fave for the winter is Musgo Real Balsam (Balm) which is moisturer that does it's job without you knowing (no greasy feeling).
Stay Well,
Lee

Musgo Real AS products are top notch. :thumbup: I love their splash.

Witch Hazel and Potassium/Potash Alum are antiseptic as well as astringent which makes alcohol moot except for personal preference.

Thayer's Non-Alcohol Toner which contains Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera, and Vitamin E comes in Rose Petal (longest lasting), Lavender, and Unscented works very well for those who do not want alcohol on their face and I vouch for its effectiveness. Dickinson's Blue and Yellow label Witch Hazel is also a very good product as are the Thayer's products which contain alcohol. Both companies have been around since before the War of Northern Aggression which would seem to indicate they are doing something right.

Good stuff, Maynard.:jump: :jump:

Maybe I will give Thayers's a try. It would be nice to use something that has the same consistncy of an alcohol based aftershave, but that contains no alcohol. I think one of the things that some guys don't like about balms is the fact that they do not produce that totally clean feeling, and that they leave your face feeling kind of greesey and sticky.

Maybe I will give Thayers's a try. It would be nice to use something that has the same consistncy of an alcohol based aftershave, but that contains no alcohol. I think one of the things that some guys don't like about balms is the fact that they do not produce that totally clean feeling, and that they leave your face feeling kind of greesey and sticky.

Phytomer Cool Marine is alcohol free. Feels great. I haven't used it lately because I'm on a witch hazel followed by a balm run.

I just used some more of the Rose-Geranium ASB that Charles included as a sample with my last order from QED. No greasy feeling here.

How can we have forgotten Proraso A/S splash..I would have to say there are a few good things for the skin there.

Regards,

Well, I know what Stauff will say. So, I won't steal his thunder. However, I will say I love IT and IT is the only splash I now use.:biggrin:

Cool man! :thumbup1: :biggrin:

So here I go: SPEICK!

It contains a.o. witch hazel, alum, camphor, lactates, lavender and speick-plant extract (Valeriana celtica). Really one of the most gentle and healing alcohol-based products out there. Traditional German product, made since the twenties in Stuttgart. Very nice citrusy-spicy scent as well.

Musgo Real AS and DR Harris Sandalwood. I have come to the conclusion that the information about alcohol drying your skin is a rumour put about by teetotal pansies who wish to deny us our morning eye opener!
I only used witch hazel or cold water for years, but then my skin got a bit dry so I tried out a balm. It was okay but didn't feel so clean, so i tried out the splashes jsut to see, and it has worked wonders! My skin is no longer dry, and it wakes me up like nothing else. I love the smell too.

In terms of good things for you skin, Musgo contains Aloe gel (creates a slight film on your skin to protect it), Echinacea (stimulates wound healing and is mildly antiseptic) and Witch Hazel (astringent, antiinflammatory) extacts, glycerine (hygroscopic- it attracts water so it moisturises) a hint of Castor Oil (soluble in alcohol and moisturising) and bisabolol (a constituent of chamomile essential oil, antiinflammatory). Most importantly it contains alcohol. The DR Harris just contains an antiseptic (seems a bit pointless considering the alcohol content) and a hint of glycerine. And 84% alcohol.

+3

I use it followed by Mama Bear's Unscented Winter Balm or QED Limes Skin Conditioner and the combination(s) have made a huge difference. My skin really likes the Speick a lot!

Knowing the difference between the types of alcohols used in the cosmetic industry is important. Not all alcohols are created equal. Here are some definitions of alcohol and listings of some that are common ingredients which you'll find listed on the products that we use:

Alcohol - A general term for organic ingredients that contain the OH (hydroxyl) group. Alcohols differ substantially in their properties ranging from water soluble solvents like isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, ethyl alcohol (used by breweries, the only drinkable alcohol) through moisturizing agents like glycerine or propylene glycol to fatty alcohols like cetyl alcohol and sugars (multi alcohols).

FATTY ALCOHOLS
Cetyl Alcohol NF Inert Alcohol used as emollient for cosmetic applications, hair conditioners
Cetyl Stearyl Alcohol NF Combines Cetyl Alcohol's emollience with Stearyl Alcohol viscosifying properties
Stearyl Alcohol NF Viscosifier for cosmetic cremes and lotions

emollient
n : toiletry consisting of any of various substances resembling
cream that have a soothing and moisturizing effect when
applied to the skin

Cetearyl Alcohol - A mixture of fatty alcohols derived from coconut oil consisting predominantly of cetyl and stearyl alcohols. Used as emollients, thickeners and emulsion stabilizers.

Cetyl Alcohol - A natural fatty alcohol derived from coconut oil widely used as an emollient and stabilizing agent in conditioning and moisturizing treatments (emulsions)

Stearyl Alcohol - A natural fatty alcohol, very similar to cetyl alcohol. (see cetyl alcohol) Derived from coconut oil.

It has a wide range of uses as an ingredient in lubricants, resins, perfumes and cosmetics. It is used as an emollient, emulsifier, and thickener in ointments of various sorts, and is widely used as a hair coating in shampoos and hair conditioners.

Tchau,
chop-chop

Top Bottom