What's new

Are Simpson Chubby brushes worth the money?

Hello everyone.
Are the Simpson Chubby brushes worth all that money? Who has used them and how do they compare to the Semogue silvertip brushes? If anyone can give me feedback, i would greatly appreciate it.
Cheers

I haven't used the Semogue Silvertip brushes, but I would guess that those brushes are much less dense than the Simpson Chubby line of shaving brushes. Personally, I have never got on with the Simpson Chubby line of brushes. It is an iconic shaving brush line for sure, but I have always felt that they hog lather. You do get quite a bit of badger hair for your money, though. If you have to get a Simpson Chubby brush, I would recommend you get it in Two-Band Super Badger.

That said, I am looking forward to other people's thoughts.

The simpsons chubbies are big brushes. Especially the 2 and 3. If you compare them to other manufacturers, they really aren't THAT much more expensive. I have a chubby 2 in best, and at first I was a little meh aboit it. Recently though It seems to have broken in and really hit it's stride. It lathers very easily and the flowthrough has markedly improved. My next brush is going to be a chubby 2 or 3 in super.

Personally, I think they are worth it. Check how much a 28 or 32mm DO1 is from shavemac and the prices really aren't any more. There are many great brushes out there for less. But I love my chubby 2. The chubby line is the most densely filled of all of simpson brushes.

As a point of comparison, I own a shavemac, plisson, several rooneys, a TGN, semogue, omega, Vulfix and more, with a Thater 2 band on the way. But my next brush us going to be another chubby. If you don't like it, you can always get almost all your money back on the BST. They move quickly.

I had the Chubby 1 in Super 2-Band. I bought off the BST so I didn't pay market price, but still paid around $130 I think.
It's hard to say if they are worth the money, that will depend on you. I liked mine, and in comparison to other brushes I bought, yes it was.
They resell well. So if you want to buy one and try it, you can resell it if you don't like it. For very close to original price as well.

I'd like the Chubby better if the handle were just a bit taller. I got rid of mine when I got a Stubby Heritage two band. Much softer.

Yeah I would agree with the price argument...It really isn't that much more than other comparable knots/brushes. My next promotion I am going to get myself a Chubby 3. Now to work my butt off to get that promotion :) .

To answer your question..Nope. Seriously, the Chubbies are a bit of a novelty. Fun, but not needed.

I like mine, but own much cheaper simpsons that I consider better....The Chubby is a bit of a clown.

Mine: (Been used about ten times)

proxy.php

Last edited:
your best bet is to wait and buy one from a fellow member right here on the forum.....the vast majority of guys at b&b have great pride of ownership in their shaving stock,and offer top notch ,perfect condition brushes at a discount....just be patient,many nice simpsons pop up for sale frequently...

I know they are legendary brushes, but I didn't care for my chubby 1, to the point of finding it almost unusable. The Duke 3, on the other hand, works great for me.
proxy.php

Steve

I know they are legendary brushes, but I didn't care for my chubby 1, to the point of finding it almost unusable. The Duke 3, on the other hand, works great for me.
proxy.php

Steve

What would you say makes it unusable? Is it the size, the feel, etc? Do you face or bowl lather, soap or cream or?

There seemed to be an imbalanced loft to density ratio. Way too dense for the short loft, for me, anyway. I face lather exclusively with soap. I just couldn't get the thing to lather. The Duke 3 works fine, though.

Steve

I used to have a Semogue 2010LE Super Silvertip - sold it on the BST. I own Chubby 2s in both 2 and 3 band Super. The Semogue just didn't measure up to these brushes for me. I hate to say it, but you really need to figure out for yourself which you prefer. The Semogue certainly presents an excellent value. But I do think the Simpsons are worth the price.

Hard to answer. It really depends on what you are looking for in a brush.

Simpson Chubbies are like other Simpson brushes, but on steroids. Very, very dense, excellent backbone, squat in profile, moderately scritchy. If you've never tried a Simpson brush it is hard to give you an idea of exactly what it is like. But if you're curious, try one.

The only way to find out is to try one im afraid. IMHO if you are considerring a CH-1, also have a good look at the Duke 3. Similar knots, the Duke has a longer, more useable handle. The CH-3 is a BIG brush.

I love my Chubby 2 Best! I've only had it for about 3 weeks though so I still have some "new toy" excitement going on. Lathering soaps seems easier and it seems to be getting even better (or I'm getting better at using it). It has a very dense knot and some nice heft. The brush looks MUCH nicer in person than in pictures. Nothing fancy, just simple elegance.

Imitation is often said to be the greatest form of flattery and there are more than just a few brushes trading not only on the "Chubby" style, but name too.

It's a brush that many others are measured by and that many profess to be.

I agree with Simpson's claim that the Chubby is widely acknowledged as one the finest shaving brushes available to day, but I'm biased as at last count I owned more than half a dozen (various knots, sizes, bands, eras, handle stock etc).

Laughed out loud....thanks for the smile

To answer your question..Nope. Seriously, the Chubbies are a bit of a novelty. Fun, but not needed.

I like mine, but own much cheaper simpsons that I consider better....The Chubby is a bit of a clown.

Mine: (Been used about ten times)

proxy.php

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'm a HUGE fan of Simpson brushes and wholeheartedly love the Duke Series and Chubby Series. Are these powerful, beautiful, legendary brushes worth the money? Yes, they are Sir. Every single penny.

I don't think anyone can truly answer the question "Is ___ worth the $?" except for the individual consumer-we'll all have different valuations of what an incremental bump in quality/distinction/pride-of-ownership/etc's worth in $. They're not worth my own $, I'll say that, while other Simpsons have easily earned their place from my wallet. I'd steer anyone towards the #2 size best badger or especially the 2-band super badger if they're looking for the best odds of subjectively achieving a good value.

All that being said, they're quite distinct brushes and produce an absolute ton of lather per unit of product (though it takes so much product to properly load them in the first place that you're still spending more product-$/shave than anything else I've tried).

chubby 3 super is really sweet. handle was right size, density and loft were nicer than the CH1 2 band i had. I wish i hadn't gotten rid of mine...

Buy a Thaeter instead!!!
Hello everyone.
Are the Simpson Chubby brushes worth all that money? Who has used them and how do they compare to the Semogue silvertip brushes? If anyone can give me feedback, i would greatly appreciate it.
Cheers

Top Bottom