What's new

Are Simpson Chubby brushes worth the money?

GreekGuy,
Thanks for the info. i am leaning on the Chubby 1.

I think the Chubby 1 is a more practical size than the 2. The 2 feels pretty big on the face. I can only imagine how decadent the 3 must feel. While there are a lot of gents here that love large brushes, and I don't blame them, from a budget and practicality point of view I think the CH1 is a good bet.

I have a Chubby 1 I feel it is a great size for me. Then adain , I also have a Wee Scot that I enjoy as well.

I have a chubby#1 two band and a Chubby#2 super.

The Chubby line is known for its density. The brush hogs lather very much, so in my experience it will be very tedious to bowl lather.
Perfect tool for face lathering (just tip in water a few times until the lather reach the proper consistency).

The #2 size is big, the price is coherent proportion wise if I compare with my Duke#2. It works wonderfully with soap sticks. I have incredible results with the La toja stick for instance (each pass seems to produce even more lather). If you use cream, you will have to use 1 and 1/2 time more than usual.

I like the super hair grade. It seems to be more dense and it is neither soft nor rough which thing in turn provides a responsive facial massage while the best is more tender.

The two band is very nice also, a combination of soft tips and backbone (the brush really push back).

One thing that rarely mentioned is that it takes a few days to really dry. I have to put them on rotation and wait three days for them to completely dry up.

Regarding the price, I would say : The Chubby line is a very specific one (the maximum weight of hair one can tight in a given knot size) and it gives an almost unique feel on the face.
It does not mean it will be that better at creating lather or enhance your shave. Up to you to decide if you want to pay for it (and yes it is a shame one cannot try a brush before buying it !).

Last edited:
The Chubby 2 in best can be had for a reasonable price if one shops around, as I did. Reasonable price is relative, but the Chubby is well worth having in one's den. I have 8 Simpsons brushes in my rotation, all in best badger and I enjoy using the Chubby 2 on occasion. While it wouldn't be my daily driver if limited to one brush (that would be a Duke 2 or 3), it's nice to load one up on occasion and experience the explosion of lather. I wouldn't want to part with mine.

Top Bottom