What's new

Are electrics really that bad?

why pay $200 or whatever for a knock off that will stop working in a year or less. When not if it breaks you have no one to return it to. For that money you can get a quality seiko mechanical watch like the sk007. The poor mans submariner and thats a compliment

as for this thread yes i think they are bad. Before i started de shaving i dropped a couple hundred on an electric. After a year it no longer held a charge and it was a model that you can not service or install a new battery. Stuff like that frosts me.
This is the second replica Rolex watch I have owned and the first one lasted nearly two years of daily wear. I bought it in China for about $75. The one pictured was brought from Shanghai by my coworker 24 months ago for $100 and it’s still working. I guess I have been lucky. There aren’t very many mechanical watches that can display dual time zones like the Rolex GMT Master. The GMT Master style was designed in 1958 and were given to all of Pan American Airline pilots when the Boeing 707 went into service. The original ones had the rotating bezel in two colors, one half blue and the other half red and were referred to as “Pepsi”. A replica watch is just a fun thing to own and wear.

All electric shavers come with a two or three year warranty period excluding the cutters and screens (Braun is three years). If the battery doesn’t last, they will replace it at no charge. They might even replace the shaver outside the warranty period as a good will gesture if you ask.

why pay $200 or whatever for a knock off that will stop working in a year or less. When not if it breaks you have no one to return it to. For that money you can get a quality seiko mechanical watch like the sk007. The poor mans submariner and thats a compliment

as for this thread yes i think they are bad. Before i started de shaving i dropped a couple hundred on an electric. After a year it no longer held a charge and it was a model that you can not service or install a new battery. Stuff like that frosts me.

My dad wore Seiko diving watches alot, mostly because at one time he had been a diver.

Now of course, he wears a FitBit.

I'm partial to Mickey Mouse watches or Casio digital wristwatches.

Having a shaver last only a year would be a turnoff. I think that's why I have preferred low-tech shavers. I've had my Braun Pocket for years, and along with a Gillette Guard, it has been my primary method of shaving for some time.

My dad wore Seiko diving watches alot, mostly because at one time he had been a diver.

Now of course, he wears a FitBit.

I'm partial to Mickey Mouse watches or Casio digital wristwatches.

Having a shaver last only a year would be a turnoff. I think that's why I have preferred low-tech shavers. I've had my Braun Pocket for years, and along with a Gillette Guard, it has been my primary method of shaving for some time.
When my replica Rolex bites the dust, I’m going to buy an Apple Watch. Casio digital watches are inexpensive, very accurate time pieces because they are quartz movements and many of them can display two time zones. Seiko makes excellent watches both mechanical and quartz movements and are reasonably priced.

Simple low tech shavers are still available such as the Braun Series 1 130s which is a corded single foil shaver with a trimmer for $39 from Amazon. It looks almost exactly like the Braun/Ronson shavers from the 1960s except with a push up trimmer and updated foil pattern. A Phillips Norelco 1100 corded triple head shaver is only $29 from Amazon. It resembles the two headed pop up shaver I used in the early 60s. Both of these can be cleaned by rinsing the head under running water.

Hard to argue with that. Along with digital watches. :biggrin1:
Fortunately I missed this post and now thought it deserves a reply. Electric shavers are a tool for shaving like any other tool. From straight razors to plastic disposable razors they are all just tools for removing hair. Electric shavers are fast, convenient, easy to use and most importantly they are safe. There are men who are taking blood thinners who shouldn’t be shaving with a blade along with men like myself who are just not that skilled to prevent nicks and cuts. Saving time is another important feature of electric shaving. We live in a capitalist, free society where each of us can choose our shaving tool preference from a huge number of products and manufactures and we can discuss the differences on a site like this one civilly.

As for digital watches, they are a tremendous improvement in accuracy. Even the best and most expensive chronometers are not as accurate as a $5 quartz digital watch. The only reason quartz watches lose or gain time is the fluctuations in voltage of their DC batteries. There are quartz watches and clocks that connect on a schedule to WWV and automatically update the time from the atomic clock located in Colorado Springs. Before digital quartz watches an inexpensive watch like a Timex was not very accurate nor ran for a long time because they had pin lever movements without jewels. Even today a mechanical watch will need servicing every couple of years because the movements wear and require cleaning and lubrication. That’s why Chinese replica watches die after a few years and watchmakers don’t have replacement parts. Take a Rolex Just Date model to an authorized dealer for service and be prepared to open your wallet wide.

Quartz watch technology is present in all GPS receivers and uses the time difference between the atomic clocks in the GPS satellites orbiting the earth and internal digital clocks to pin point your geographic position anywhere on earth to within about 3 meters. Navigators in previous generations had to use mechanical chronometers to determine their longitude and sextants to determine their latitude sometimes to within an accuracy of a few nautical miles at best.

I was a professional pilot who was flying before digital time keeping with GPS and we had to rely on analog ground based navigation radio facilities for position information over land. Over the oceans we relied on celestial navigation which was not accurate at all and later technologies such as LORAN or VLF OMEGA which were sometimes accurate to maybe one nautical mile. The busiest air routes in the world are located over the North Atlantic. Airliners today crowd the Track System (NAT Track) which goes one way to Europe at night and one way to North America during the day with thousands of airliners. Digital technology has reduced the separation down to ten miles between aircraft laterally and 1,000 ft. vertically. Placing all those aircraft that close together has resulted in more traffic moving across the pond every night and day thus reducing the airfare so anyone with a passport and a few dollars can visit Europe or America very cheaply and extremely safely.

Fortunately I missed this post and now thought it deserves a reply. Electric shavers are a tool for shaving like any other tool. From straight razors to plastic disposable razors they are all just tools for removing hair. Electric shavers are fast, convenient, easy to use and most importantly they are safe. There are men who are taking blood thinners who shouldn’t be shaving with a blade along with men like myself who are just not that skilled to prevent nicks and cuts. Saving time is another important feature of electric shaving. We live in a capitalist, free society where each of us can choose our shaving tool preference from a huge number of products and manufactures and we can discuss the differences on a site like this one civilly.

As for digital watches, they are a tremendous improvement in accuracy. Even the best and most expensive chronometers are not as accurate as a $5 quartz digital watch. The only reason quartz watches lose or gain time is the fluctuations in voltage of their DC batteries. There are quartz watches and clocks that connect on a schedule to WWV and automatically update the time from the atomic clock located in Colorado Springs. Before digital quartz watches an inexpensive watch like a Timex was not very accurate nor ran for a long time because they had pin lever movements without jewels. Even today a mechanical watch will need servicing every couple of years because the movements wear and require cleaning and lubrication. That’s why Chinese replica watches die after a few years and watchmakers don’t have replacement parts. Take a Rolex Just Date model to an authorized dealer for service and be prepared to open your wallet wide.

Quartz watch technology is present in all GPS receivers and uses the time difference between the atomic clocks in the GPS satellites orbiting the earth and internal digital clocks to pin point your geographic position anywhere on earth to within about 3 meters. Navigators in previous generations had to use mechanical chronometers to determine their longitude and sextants to determine their latitude sometimes to within an accuracy of a few nautical miles at best.

I was a professional pilot who was flying before digital time keeping with GPS and we had to rely on analog ground based navigation radio facilities for position information over land. Over the oceans we relied on celestial navigation which was not accurate at all and later technologies such as LORAN or VLF OMEGA which were sometimes accurate to maybe one nautical mile. The busiest air routes in the world are located over the North Atlantic. Airliners today crowd the Track System (NAT Track) which goes one way to Europe at night and one way to North America during the day with thousands of airliners. Digital technology has reduced the separation down to ten miles between aircraft laterally and 1,000 ft. vertically. Placing all those aircraft that close together has resulted in more traffic moving across the pond every night and day thus reducing the airfare so anyone with a passport and a few dollars can visit Europe or America very cheaply and extremely safely.

And Amen. I shave with electric razors almost exclusively (Braun, Panasonic and Norelco), and have for over 50 years (in addition to DE and SE) and wear a Samsung Smart Watch paired with my Android phone. My home is wirelessly connected with over 50 paired devices and a 4T server. My car has more technology than many commercial IT networks. And best of all, my ability to recognize and appreciate, and even articulate satire, is alive and well, and unimpaired. Happy Holidays! :adoration:

Fortunately I missed this post and now thought it deserves a reply. Electric shavers are a tool for shaving like any other tool. From straight razors to plastic disposable razors they are all just tools for removing hair. Electric shavers are fast, convenient, easy to use and most importantly they are safe.

They are all machines, technically, even the straight razor.

And Amen. I shave with electric razors almost exclusively (Braun, Panasonic and Norelco), and have for over 50 years (in addition to DE and SE) and wear a Samsung Smart Watch paired with my Android phone. My home is wirelessly connected with over 50 paired devices and a 4T server. My car has more technology than many commercial IT networks. And best of all, my ability to recognize and appreciate, and even articulate satire, is alive and well, and unimpaired. Happy Holidays! :adoration:
You are couple of steps ahead of me in technology. Yes, satire is alive and well. To everyone Happy Holidays. 😀

They are all machines, technically, even the straight razor.
Yes of course, just some are more complicated than others. The basic principle is either scraping off the hairs or clipping them off close to the skin like a scissor. The big difference is the power source.

Yes of course, just some are more complicated than others. The basic principle is either scraping off the hairs or clipping them off close to the skin like a scissor. The big difference is the power source.
[/QUOT
One could argue that straight razors, DE and SE razors are human powered machines and therefore more environmentally friendly, depending on the fuel consumed by the power source (food) than machines consuming electricity 🙄

It’s difficult to compare the environmental friendliness of different shaving methods. Obviously, electric shavers use electricity which uses either fossil fuels like coal, oil or natural gas. A large portion of electricity is now generated by nuclear or wind power which is environmentally more friendly. Texas has it’s own electric grid and wind is producing so much electricity that the electric retailers are giving away free power either at night or on weekends because the AC current can’t be stored.

A simple comparison of the energy used while shaving is not easy to compare. If you are shaving dry with your electric shaver it takes me five minutes. A full charge on my Braun 7 series takes an hour and results in 50 minutes of shaving. Therefore, five minutes of shaving time is about a fifth of the charge which is less than three minutes of the one hour charge time.

Shaving using a blade takes longer than five minutes from start to finish and running hot water for the full time will consume more energy than the three minutes of charging the electric shaver battery depending if your water heater is gas or electric. The energy to create a SE or a DE razor blade is also difficult to calculate. If you are using shaving cream from an aerosol can the energy required to produce the product and the container might be greater than using an electric shaver. Even using a shaving brush and shaving soap requires energy to manufacture the soap, it’s packaging and using more hot water to create the foam. All of that energy may exceed using an electric shaver for five minutes a day.

There are higher energy costs using a disposable razor which are involved in the manufacture, packaging and shipment of the product.

Last edited:

Well, I did say that I didn't see the need to buy any of them. I'd rather have the real thing. And anyone who knows what they're looking for will be able to tell if it's a knock off. And I don't know if the tour guides were just trying to scare us, but they told us that if we get caught with a knock off then the cops could give us a fine. Or maybe it's just illegal for the vendors... I can't really remember anymore, it was over a decade ago.

Well, I did say that I didn't see the need to buy any of them. I'd rather have the real thing. And anyone who knows what they're looking for will be able to tell if it's a knock off. And I don't know if the tour guides were just trying to scare us, but they told us that if we get caught with a knock off then the cops could give us a fine. Or maybe it's just illegal for the vendors... I can't really remember anymore, it was over a decade ago.
I can understand your feelings. Yes, a jeweler on close inspection can detect a replica watch, but the average person isn’t going to grab your wrist and pull out his jeweler’s loupe and inspect your watch. If you order a replica watch from a reputable dealer in China over the internet, then there is a very small chance that the postal inspector might discover your package in the mail and confiscate the watch. When I returned from China with my Replica Rolex I just wore it on my wrist and no one at US customs even noticed me. I wouldn’t buy a fake Rolex President with phony diamonds around the bezel because some one might attack me for a cheap replica watch.

Everyone has their own taste. I can afford a new Rolex GMT MasterII Watch but I don’t want to spend that much money on a watch. A new Apple Watch will become the replacement when the replica watch bites the dust. 😋

Last edited:
I can understand your feelings. Yes, a jeweler on close inspection can detect a replica watch, but the average person isn’t going to grab your wrist and pull out his jeweler’s loupe and inspect your watch. If you order a replica watch from a reputable dealer in China over the internet, then there is a very small chance that the postal inspector might discover your package in the mail and confiscate the watch. When I returned from China with my Replica Rolex I just wore it on my wrist and no one at US customs even noticed me. I wouldn’t buy a fake Rolex President with phony diamonds around the bezel because some one might attack me for a cheap replica watch.

Everyone has their own taste. I can afford a new Rolex GMT MasterII Watch but I don’t want to spend that much money on a watch. A new Apple Watch will become the replacement when the replica watch bites the dust. 😋
My first "expensive" watch is a Bulova that I bought for myself on Black Friday for 60% off. My everyday watch is a $10 watch I got off of Ebay. I wanted one of those old WWII style watches with the green canvas band and that is what I found. I really don't care what people spend their money on as long as it makes them happy. Some will be happy with a Honda (me) and others will be happy with a Porsche. If they're not hurting anyone, I let them be.

Back to the original topic, I have honestly tried to give electric razors a chance, but I don't think my face and whiskers are set up to take an electric razor. Every time I have used them, I have gotten bad razor burn, irritation, and razor bumps. It left me in a really bad mood. I can use clippers and trim down to stubble length and that satisfies me. But I usually stay bearded. Maybe I'll come around and decide to be clean shaved and maybe I'll even find an electric razor that works for me on days that I just want to get a fast shave and look presentable.

My first "expensive" watch is a Bulova that I bought for myself on Black Friday for 60% off. My everyday watch is a $10 watch I got off of Ebay. I wanted one of those old WWII style watches with the green canvas band and that is what I found. I really don't care what people spend their money on as long as it makes them happy. Some will be happy with a Honda (me) and others will be happy with a Porsche. If they're not hurting anyone, I let them be.

Back to the original topic, I have honestly tried to give electric razors a chance, but I don't think my face and whiskers are set up to take an electric razor. Every time I have used them, I have gotten bad razor burn, irritation, and razor bumps. It left me in a really bad mood. I can use clippers and trim down to stubble length and that satisfies me. But I usually stay bearded. Maybe I'll come around and decide to be clean shaved and maybe I'll even find an electric razor that works for me on days that I just want to get a fast shave and look presentable.
Which year Black Friday did you by the Bulova? Those WWII style watches are very cool. I agree with everything you said about people and their money. Everyone has their own preference for facial hair. Beards have been making a comeback in recent years and if my face didn’t itch after the second day not shaving I might grow one. I personally have worn a mustache since about 1966 or so when I grew a beard in my hippie era. Only the mustache remains as a small protest against a total clean shaven look.

How long has it been since you tried to shave with an electric shaver? There have been some improvements in the head and cutter designs making them less prone to razor burn. If you purchase one they all come with at least a thirty day or longer return policy. If you don’t like the results the manufacturer will refund your purchase price.

Which year Black Friday did you by the Bulova? Those WWII style watches are very cool. I agree with everything you said about people and their money. Everyone has their own preference for facial hair. Beards have been making a comeback in recent years and if my face didn’t itch after the second day not shaving I might grow one. I personally have worn a mustache since about 1966 or so when I grew a beard in my hippie era. Only the mustache remains as a small protest against a total clean shaven look.

How long has it been since you tried to shave with an electric shaver? There have been some improvements in the head and cutter designs making them less prone to razor burn. If you purchase one they all come with at least a thirty day or longer return policy. If you don’t like the results the manufacturer will refund your purchase price.
I bought it this year. I'll have to take a picture and post it here. That thing is sleek and I've gotten quite a few compliments on it. I have a pretty active job (valet,) so I don't wear it because I don't want it getting scuffed up. That's where my daily driver comes in. Only thing I don't like about it is that it's too loud when it's ticking.

I used an electric sometime in this decade. I think the last time I shaved my face with one was in 2013 during a field training exercise when I was still in the service. It was dark and I didn't feel like messing around with my razor and shaving cream. I borrowed my buddy's. It was passable, but it wasn't enjoyable. I keep an open mind with shaving and I might be inclined to give them another try. But I think genetically I'm not set up for electrics. My dad and grandpa were the same way and couldn't use them either. So I probably inherited that from them.

I bought it this year. I'll have to take a picture and post it here. That thing is sleek and I've gotten quite a few compliments on it. I have a pretty active job (valet,) so I don't wear it because I don't want it getting scuffed up. That's where my daily driver comes in. Only thing I don't like about it is that it's too loud when it's ticking.

I used an electric sometime in this decade. I think the last time I shaved my face with one was in 2013 during a field training exercise when I was still in the service. It was dark and I didn't feel like messing around with my razor and shaving cream. I borrowed my buddy's. It was passable, but it wasn't enjoyable. I keep an open mind with shaving and I might be inclined to give them another try. But I think genetically I'm not set up for electrics. My dad and grandpa were the same way and couldn't use them either. So I probably inherited that from them.
I just took a look at the Bulova watch website and they have some really good looking watches. I have a Bulova Accutron watch that I bought for $5 at a garage sale. It doesn’t work but there’s only one or two people in the country who know how to repair them and they charge a lot for their expertise. The one I have is a lower priced stainless steel watch and not the Spaceview one where you can see the tuning fork through the watch face. Accutron was the first battery powered watches that used the vibration of a tuning fork to measure time. They were extremely accurate for their time. Today quartz movements are far more accurate and can be purchased for under $10. Obviously, your watch has a mechanical movement since it ticks. There are lots of young people today who are amazed by a ticking watch. 😩

Using an electric shaver once is not a good test. It takes at least a couple of weeks or more of daily shaving for your beard and skin to become accustomed to using a particular type of electric shaver. Rotary shavers such as Phillips Norelco are the least aggressive shavers on your skin and may be a good choice to try out. Braun shavers are the least aggressive among the screen type which I think result in closer shaves than rotary ones. Electric shavers come with a no questions asked return policy of least a month to return the shaver which allows your face to become accustomed to the shaver.

Last edited:
I just wonder how many people are going to get an electric razor for christmas......

The real question is, how many of them will actually try it out for a couple weeks to see if it really works or not before dismissing it.

I own a Braun series 9, arguably one of the best foil shavers available anywhere today, yet I'd still be very happy to receive a low end Braun pocket, series 3, or even a cheap Norelco rotary as a holiday gift. I like gadgets, experimenting, and my BOSC/AD extends far beyond the bladed devices most commonly discussed around here.

Top Bottom