What's new

Are electrics really that bad?

Don't fergit slide rules
Unfortunately, mechanical watches are specialty items and are expensive. Quartz movements are cheap, accurate and can be smart. Besides, Millennials can’t tell time on an analogue face watch or know what the term, “Winding a clock” means.

I haven’t thought about a slide rule in many years. As a professional pilot and flight instructor I carried an aviation slide rule called an E6B in my pocket to help with navigation problems and conversions. Today pilots haven’t got a clue as to what an E6B even looks like. The truly sad part is that they don’t have a mental picture in their head as to their positional and situational awareness and rely completely on GPS and moving map displays in the cockpit to know where they are and where they are going. 😩

Still have mine, in a case! And it looks a lot better than this (Dietzgen Museum) :adoration:

proxy.php
An E6B flight computer, aviation slide rule.https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://smhttp-ssl-71222.nexcesscdn...q=e6b+flight+computer&hl=en-us&source=sh/x/im

There seems to be a small group of members who not only use electric shaves but like them. Maybe this thread title should be changed to “Electrics, are they really that good?”. 😀 There are those who like and enjoy them and those who hate them, regardless if they never used one. You can’t buy an electric shaver and make a determination if you like it or not from one shave. You have to stick with it for at least a couple of weeks for your skin and beard to become accustomed to the shaver. The shaver manufactures know this and offer a money back guarantee if you return the shaver within a month of purchase.

In the end an electric shaver is really a shaving tool that provides three advantages, convenience, speed and safety from nicks and cuts.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Why do electric shavers have such a bad reputation?
OK, so I used electric razors for most of my shaving life. My first experience shaving was with my dad's DE, then a Trac II. I had acne and no instructions so I cut and nicked myself a lot. I also have a mole that sticks out of the middle of my chin that makes shaving tricky. I then tried a 2 head rotary electric, then a foil, then a 3 head rotary, then a beard. I don't grow a great beard, so I went back to semi-regular shaving.
Every time I came back to the Trac II in between electric's I got nicks and finally tossed it.

Working in a machine shop most of my life didn't require daily shaving, and most of my co-workers shave every 2-3 days at the most. I shaved when the wife complained, not because I looked forward to it.

So for the last 30 years or so, I have used electric razors exclusively. They usually last 3-5 years before the battery goes bad and they need to be replaced at $50-$75 a pop. Not to mention that the blades only give you half-way decent shaves for about 2 weeks at $25 a pop. Then they give you the type of shave they have a reputation for. Yeah, they will give you a SAS for a year after that, and also irritate and tug. I have used all types of pre-electric shave routines, powders, and guess what? Now that 4 minute shave just turned into a 15 minute shave with all the prep.

Before I decided to try DE shaving again I did the math and figured that I spent about $1000 dollars in electric shaving equipment over the years, and never once finished up an electric shave and said to myself------------------------------>WOW<-------------- what a great shave!!!!!

I think that is the answer to your question.

If electric razors had such a good reputation men would be lining up at barber shops across the world to get a professional electric shave.

Still looking for the "Perfect Edge"

If electric razors had such a good reputation men would be lining up at barber shops across the world to get a professional electric shave.

The point of electric shavers is that it doesn't require hardly any skill to shave safely with them, so there isn't alot of reason to go to a barber.

Actually, barbers do use electric shavers. Andis and Wahl are two common brands used commercially. Mostly they are used for removing stubble on the back of the neck or sides of the head.

I've never found electric shavers to be all that expensive, but I've kept my preferences for shavers fairly simple. The technology for foil or rotary shavers really hasn't fundamentally changed in over fifty years. I definitely don't like the trend of waterproof shavers, as I think that makes the shaver more difficult to service and adds needless complexity and expense to something that should be relatively simple.

OK, so I used electric razors for most of my shaving life. My first experience shaving was with my dad's DE, then a Trac II. I had acne and no instructions so I cut and nicked myself a lot. I also have a mole that sticks out of the middle of my chin that makes shaving tricky. I then tried a 2 head rotary electric, then a foil, then a 3 head rotary, then a beard. I don't grow a great beard, so I went back to semi-regular shaving.
Every time I came back to the Trac II in between electric's I got nicks and finally tossed it.

Working in a machine shop most of my life didn't require daily shaving, and most of my co-workers shave every 2-3 days at the most. I shaved when the wife complained, not because I looked forward to it.

So for the last 30 years or so, I have used electric razors exclusively. They usually last 3-5 years before the battery goes bad and they need to be replaced at $50-$75 a pop. Not to mention that the blades only give you half-way decent shaves for about 2 weeks at $25 a pop. Then they give you the type of shave they have a reputation for. Yeah, they will give you a SAS for a year after that, and also irritate and tug. I have used all types of pre-electric shave routines, powders, and guess what? Now that 4 minute shave just turned into a 15 minute shave with all the prep.

Before I decided to try DE shaving again I did the math and figured that I spent about $1000 dollars in electric shaving equipment over the years, and never once finished up an electric shave and said to myself------------------------------>WOW<-------------- what a great shave!!!!!

I think that is the answer to your question.

Still looking for the "Perfect Edge"
All I can say is that I have had better luck over the years with electric shavers. My current shaver gives me just as good a shave daily today as it did when I bought it in April. My previous Panasonic shaver ran five years with the original cutters and screens. I could have replaced it for about $70 but instead went for the Braun for $30 more. All of the shaver manufactures still make corded shavers which except for replacing cutters and screens will last forever. I don’t understand why you needed to replace the cutters every two weeks in your shaver? I haven’t bought blades and shaving cream in this century so I don’t know the economics of blade shaving.

Let’s assume that my current shaver lasts five years. That means it cost me $20 a year. Braun recommends replacing the cutter/screen cassette ever 18 months. They are available from Amazon for $30. That’s about $10 a year. That means the total cost of owing the shaver is $30 a year or $150 for five years.

Trying to find a barber that knows how to give a barbershop shave is not easy to find these days in our litigious society. A local barber advertised shaves for $35 which is not cheap. In the end if you like using a blade then enjoy yourself.

My dad was in the air force and he had one of those types, but it was made from metal. It looked very similar.

He didn't really fly, he only had some flight training in a T-38. He was actually in missiles and later, accounting.
Yes, you can buy them in either plastic or metal. They are basically a slide rule with aviation functions and a wind vector calculator. Jeppesen designed one type, the CR-2, where the wind side didn’t have a sliding graph but a circular plot. Those were popular with airline pilots because it fit easily into their shirt pocket. Is analog making a comeback?

All I can say is that I have had better luck over the years with electric shavers. My current shaver gives me just as good a shave daily today as it did when I bought it in April. My previous Panasonic shaver ran five years with the original cutters and screens. I could have replaced it for about $70 but instead went for the Braun for $30 more. All of the shaver manufactures still make corded shavers which except for replacing cutters and screens will last forever.

Well, Philips current corded option is fairly sad compared to some of their older corded shavers, I have one I picked up as an open-box off eBay. No trimmer, and it uses a small wall-wart power supply. They probably used the design from one of their battery-operated models, including the motor, so they just went with an external AC-DC converter. It's lightweight and feels like it's mostly hollow inside. It's not as nice as some of their older corded shavers, but it's functional I suppose, and it shaves decently.

Remington and Wahl both offer some decent budget shavers. Panasonic and Braun are really more premium brands with good quality designs, but aren't necessarily very good values.

I don’t understand why you needed to replace the cutters every two weeks in your shaver? I haven’t bought blades and shaving cream in this century so I don’t know the economics of blade shaving.

Let’s assume that my current shaver lasts five years. That means it cost me $20 a year. Braun recommends replacing the cutter/screen cassette ever 18 months. They are available from Amazon for $30. That’s about $10 a year. That means the total cost of owing the shaver is $30 a year or $150 for five years.

Trying to find a barber that knows how to give a barbershop shave is not easy to find these days in our litigious society. A local barber advertised shaves for $35 which is not cheap. In the end if you like using a blade then enjoy yourself.

With the exception of a straight razor, blade shaving has higher long-term costs than electric shavers. However, up-front costs of electric shavers are potentially higher. Maintaining a straight razor and safely shaving with one requires alot of dedication and skill, however.

Well, Philips current corded option is fairly sad compared to some of their older corded shavers, I have one I picked up as an open-box off eBay. No trimmer, and it uses a small wall-wart power supply. They probably used the design from one of their battery-operated models, including the motor, so they just went with an external AC-DC converter. It's lightweight and feels like it's mostly hollow inside. It's not as nice as some of their older corded shavers, but it's functional I suppose, and it shaves decently.

Remington and Wahl both offer some decent budget shavers. Panasonic and Braun are really more premium brands with good quality designs, but aren't necessarily very good values.

With the exception of a straight razor, blade shaving has higher long-term costs than electric shavers. However, up-front costs of electric shavers are potentially higher. Maintaining a straight razor and safely shaving with one requires alot of dedication and skill, however.
I haven’t used any of the low end shavers so I would be only guessing as to their ability to deliver a decent shave. Obviously, the upfront cost of an electric shaver is going to be more than buying a Bic disposable razor and a can of cheap shaving cream. However, regardless of the low initial cost, the recurring cost will be higher over time.

Obviously, shaving with a straight razor is a skill acquired in blood. 😩

I haven’t used any of the low end shavers so I would be only guessing as to their ability to deliver a decent shave. Obviously, the upfront cost of an electric shaver is going to be more than buying a Bic disposable razor and a can of cheap shaving cream. However, regardless of the low initial cost, the recurring cost will be higher over time.

Obviously, shaving with a straight razor is a skill acquired in blood. 😩

My great-grandfather used a straight razor- alot of men did at one time. Of course back then sharpening a knife would have been relatively common but it's a skill that now days is harder to justify. And you have to be really good at sharpening to shave with a straight razor comfortably.

My great-grandfather used a straight razor- alot of men did at one time. Of course back then sharpening a knife would have been relatively common but it's a skill that now days is harder to justify. And you have to be really good at sharpening to shave with a straight razor comfortably.
Yes, and because many men didn’t have those skills barbershops were everywhere. I think that the development of the safety razor followed by the electric razor sealed the fate of barbershops. There are very few of the old fashioned ones around and the barbers are old guys who are in the autumn of their lives. Today, the hair cutting chains such as, Great Clips, don’t hire barbers but hair stylists. They don’t even have any razors on the premises.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I don’t understand why you needed to replace the cutters every two weeks in your shaver?
I was merely stating that the cutters only delivered their optimum performance for about the first 2 weeks on all of the electric razors that I have used. I usually only replaced the blades once before the batteries died.
When it had become time to replace my Norelco at the end of 2018, I had calculated my electric razor costs to be approximately $1000 for 30 years, so at least we are on the same page there.

My main reason for switching from electric razors to a DE was complexion related. Certain areas always developed sores and prevented my from shaving every day. Cartridge style razors were the same for me. A single blade razor has allowed me to shave every day and look forward to it, rather than loathe something I had to do 2-3 times a week, or not at all.

The entry level price for DE shaving is almost the same compared to a decent electric razor and all you need to do is change blades once a week or so, WMS can be had for $1.49 at your local grocery store and Arko is only a buck for a stick that will last 3-6 months.

All of that before RAD, SAD, BAD kicks in and you have found a new hobby that costs significantly less than owning a race car or speed boat................

I'm still looking for the "Perfect Edge"

I was merely stating that the cutters only delivered their optimum performance for about the first 2 weeks on all of the electric razors that I have used. I usually only replaced the blades once before the batteries died.

When it had become time to replace my Norelco at the end of 2018, I had calculated my electric razor costs to be approximately $1000 for 30 years, so at least we are on the same page there.

My main reason for switching from electric razors to a DE was complexion related. Certain areas always developed sores and prevented my from shaving every day. Cartridge style razors were the same for me. A single blade razor has allowed me to shave every day and look forward to it, rather than loathe something I had to do 2-3 times a week, or not at all.

The entry level price for DE shaving is almost the same compared to a decent electric razor and all you need to do is change blades once a week or so, WMS can be had for $1.49 at your local grocery store and Arko is only a buck for a stick that will last 3-6 months.

All of that before RAD, SAD, BAD kicks in and you have found a new hobby that costs significantly less than owning a race car or speed boat................

I'm still looking for the "Perfect Edge"
If the double edge razor works best for you, then that’s what you should use. I’m not sure if there is a perfect edge out there. I have been happy with both my Panasonic ES8103 razor for five years and happy with my current Braun 7893s shaver. When it’s time to replace it I will see what’s available and read the reviews before making a purchase. New technology might require that I switch to a rotary shaver.

If the double edge razor works best for you, then that’s what you should use. I’m not sure if there is a perfect edge out there. I have been happy with both my Panasonic ES8103 razor for five years and happy with my current Braun 7893s shaver. When it’s time to replace it I will see what’s available and read the reviews before making a purchase. New technology might require that I switch to a rotary shaver.

I'm ready for lasers. Not like the semi-permanent laser hair removal, just an at home "shaving" device.

This looks interesting. However, I would be skeptical of having a powerful enough laser to shave the beard and not damage my face.

I don't think the issue is the power required - it actually uses a modestly-powered laser conducted through a thin fiber-optic filament - it seems the basic problem is with the design. They raised $4M on Kickstarter but were bumped off because they never actually developed a working prototype, and now are looking for other funding. It works - but as seen in reviews only cuts essentially a hair at a time, and requires a separate power source. The fiber optic is also very delicate, and seems to break with just the action of moving it across the skin. It's an interesting concept, but likely years or decades out for actual deployment, if ever. The quest for a laser face-shaving razor has been ongoing since the laser was developed (we're actually closer to a practical "ray gun," also initially explored), but a useable working design has yet to be seen.

Top Bottom