What's new

Are cross-dominant shooters just screwed? I'm right handed but left eye dominant.

When I joined the Reserves at 17, I learned I was left eye dominant on our first range day. Thereafter, I shot left-handed, and adapted to the situation of using a "right-handed" battle rifle (FNC1A1). It was fairly easy, and I qualified with no trouble whatsoever.

Pistol (Browning Hi-Power) was easy, too. I did everything "right-handed" except sighting/shooting. Qualified with no issues.

I would hope that, these days, it's a little easier to support left-handed shooters.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'm left eye dominant and right handed. Close your left eye or use a patch. I closed mine and did/do fine in benchrest shooting, pheasant hunting. Hell I didn't know anyone didn't close the eye they weren't aiming with for years.

Another left eye dominant and right-handed shooter. With a pistol I just close my right eye of I keep both eyes open. With a rifle or shotgun it is a challenge. I have toyed around with getting a laser or red dot site.

My brother-in-law is an avid hunter. He was right eye dominant and a right-handed shooter. Unfortunately, he is now blind in the right eye. He is having a difficult time with a rifle. He tried something called cross vision eyeglasses but he gave up on them.

Another left eye dominant and right-handed shooter. With a pistol I just close my right eye of I keep both eyes open. With a rifle or shotgun it is a challenge. I have toyed around with getting a laser or red dot site.

My brother-in-law is an avid hunter. He was right eye dominant and a right-handed shooter. Unfortunately, he is now blind in the right eye. He is having a difficult time with a rifle. He tried something called cross vision eyeglasses but he gave up on them.

Supposedly guys like us are in the minority, but you wouldn't think so from reading this thread.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
proxy.php

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Lots of good advice here. I'm going to try to start aligning my aim down my right arm/right eye and closing my left eye. I did it a little last night with my unloaded G2C. To add insult to injury for me, I have better vision in my left eye. Substantially better. I'm thinking good tritium sights are becoming more of a necessity than a luxury for this gun.

That's pretty normal with the eyesight. I am 15 years older than you so I can't see **** in front of my nose anymore. My right eye being a bit weaker does help me pick up the sights. :thumbsup:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The 45/70 BFR was enough for me. I shot a Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull quite a bit, I liked it. If I had my pick or lived someplace I could or might actually need one though, it would be a Bowen 5 shot .45 LC. Ross Seyfried had the right idea.
My dream gun!

Late to the party. School solution with a pistol is:
a. Keep Both Eyes Open and keep the front sight as sharply in focus as possible and the target blurry or
b. Close the Weak eye (ditto the rest)
c. Regardless, move the pistol more in line with the dominant eye.

School Solution for a long gun is to shoot it on the dominant eye side.

I have seen some folks do OK with a red dot sight on a rifle/carbine keeping both eyes open shooting on the non dominant side for 8 inch at 100 yrds accuracy. Seemed to be a no go for precision work with any type of speed.

Interesting responses here, I am another shooter with the cross eye dominance and have found that using the center axis relock system with my pistols has helped tremendously

More natural than just "tilting your head", the slight tilt of the pistol, having my arms close the body and both eyes open allows me to put together tighter groupings

The first couple still tend to hit around the 4:30 mark, but then I am able to get in the rings consistently

Tim McD

At what distance are you shooting such that the first two shots are at 4:30?

Are you a left or right handed shooter?

Are you shooting from a holster or a ready position?

What is you time to first shot and splits between shots particularly when you go from the 4:30 to centering up?

Top Bottom