What's new

Tatras--A Mini Review . . . Or, How Not To Be A Shaving Dumb***

This is nothing like the great reviews Macduff does or the blade wars by cw62803. Initially I thought twice, three times even, about posting my thoughts because by comparison to those two mine were less interesting than watching paint dry--until this morning's shave.

I have copied my personal notes below, so bear in mind they are more for my future reference (and occasional entertainment) than anything else.

Tatra: 1.24.2020 — Read about these blades on B&B. They had a long run of positive comments so just for ****s and giggles I checked on eBay to see how much they cost in quantity—$9.99 . . . that got my interest. I am certainly not in a position where I need blades, but at that price and with so many good comments I finally caved and bought a hundred.

Used the newer Starcraft synthetic brush Chayce (my son) got me (from PAA) with TOBS Cedarwood—never a bad experience with this cream! As for the shave, I have to state all three passes were very comfortable. Didn’t feel as sharp as an Astra but still did a nice job. After the Thayer’s dry-down it felt very much like a BBS result. Hoping I get 5 solid shaves from this blade since I bought 100 of them.

1.25.2020 — This morning’s soap was Big Shave S’West event soap and the Atomic Rocket brush. Got some gorgeous lather that provided a solid, very comfortable 3-pass shave. Can’t seem to escape the ghost Astra I used prior to this blade; used them before, of course, but for some reason this last one really surprised me after each shave, especially the 5th (final) one. This Tatra doesn’t feel as sharp as the Astra, but I honestly can’t argue with the results thus far.

1.26.2020 — Sir Hare with the horsehair brush this morning. The lather from this soap is, once dialed in, nothing short of wonderful—soft, slick, and just feels so right as it goes on. Was feeling a little shaky (didn’t make a good breakfast choice this morning) so I hastily grabbed a piece of turkey jerky and sporadically chewed on it as I finished lathering. First pass, shaved a little here, a little there, chewed, swallowed, a few more strokes, chewed some more, etc. I could feel a little piece that reminded me of the Far Side panel showing one penguin in the midst of a whole roost standing up and singing “I gotta be me!”; one little piece of jerky couldn’t go down the way it was meant, nooooo, it had to irritate my throat and try to go down my windpipe. I held it off long enough to finish the first pass, then allowed a few minor coughs to pass.

1580055141830.png

Tried rinsing and lathering for the second pass, but apparently my throat was really pissed off and so began the inconsistent, non-synchronous coughs, the ones you can’t quite tell are coming in a normal pattern. Finally went and slugged down some water. Managed to finish lathering and began the second (XTG) pass, but was distracted by continued hacking—throat wasn’t fully satisfied yet. It wasn’t the usual, Zen-like experience, more kind of like when you have to pee so bad at a movie that you finally get up and go, then return and sit there trying to piece together what you missed while away . . . unsatisfying and a tad annoying.

As I rinsed for the third pass. I felt a sting on my right jawline, that same unmistakable sting you get when you know you’ve nicked yourself but there’s no blood. Took about 10 seconds before I found it. Mental note: do not eat while shaving. In this case though, I felt I had to because my hand shaking was like Gene Wilder’s Waco Kid in Blazing Saddles:

Wilder: “I don’t know if you’ve heard of me, but I used to be known as the Waco Kid.”
Cleavon Little (as Sheriff Bart): “The Waco Kid?! He had the fastest hands in the West!”
Wilder: “In the world.”
Little: “Well, if you’re the Kid then show me somethin’”
Wilder: “Well, maybe a couple years ago I could have shown you something, but, today,” — at this point he raises his right hand and it doesn’t move at all. — “Look at that . . .”
Little: “Steady as a rock.”
Wilder: “Yeah, but I shoot with this hand,” he says as he lifts hie left hand which flutters like a gargantuan butterfly on meth.

Substitute ‘shoot’ with ‘shave’ and you get the idea.

Managed to lather much better for the third pass and stifle any remaining (if smaller) hacks. When all was done I didn’t feel like I had a great shave, but surprisingly the result is a true DFS+. I was entirely willing to fully accept a low quality shave due to my own brutal stupidity, but I can’t help but think the blade helped save this soul.

So, there you have it. My meager thoughts on the Tatra blades the enablers of this forum were so kind to introduce me to. Overall, with only three shaves on it, I have to say I like this blade. I admit they don't feel as sharp as some other blades (to me) but they certainly don't dredge up recollections of my worst blade experiences with Laser, Racer, and Parker.

Do I regret having shelled out $10 US for 100? Not at all. For those who like a 'tier' approach, I'd put these at the top of mid-tier I think. Having said that, I am very aware this is but my first ever go with this blade. To be completely fair I need to use them at least once more for a full 5 shaves if possible.

But so far, so good I say :thumbup1:

I typically get 5 shaves from most any blade, so I thought I'd post my thought from the last two shaves with this blade.

1.27.2020 — MUCH better shave than yesterday, due in large part to not eating or coughing while shaving. Used Moon soap's Amaretto Speciale and the PAA Starcraft synthetic brush. Another DFS+ result. I’m liking these blades yet can’t help but feel they fall just a touch shy of my baseline Astras, but my hunch is that's some kind of cognitive hangover clouding my judgement.

1.28.2020 — Broke out the Omega boar and paired it with Mondial Antica Barberia. I must say that I am most pleased with the performance of this blade. While clearly not as sharp . . . must take a quick moment here for a tiny rant — it has always struck me as paradoxical that we (myself included) so often refer to a blade’s degradation as less ‘sharp’, yet the same blade would have zero problem cleaving multiple layers of epidermis, even going to the bone if conditions are right, yet we call a blade’s sharpness into question. Rant complete.

Anyhoo, whilst the blade was certainly not as ‘pristine’ as it was out of the wrapper, even for a 5th go it gave me a borderline BBS result without being uncomfortable.

My facial hair isn’t such that requires an Edge of God to get through so I tend to settle on more economical blades—for that matter I can get a good shave with pretty much any blade I try (save the aforementioned exceptions). But this Tatra has easily made a place for itself among my Sharks, Derby Premiums, Crowns, Astras, Permasharps, and Voskhods.

Cost per blade: .10 — purchased 100 on eBay for $9.99 with free shipping
Blade Shaves: 5 — likely could have pushed this another shave or two for at least a low grade DFS.
Rating: 👍🏽

Final judgement rests with at least another blade use, but all signs point to a solid blade for not a lot of scratch.

This is nothing like the great reviews Macduff does or the blade wars by cw62803. Initially I thought twice, three times even, about posting my thoughts because by comparison to those two mine were less interesting than watching paint dry--until this morning's shave.

I have copied my personal notes below, so bear in mind they are more for my future reference (and occasional entertainment) than anything else.

Tatra: 1.24.2020 — Read about these blades on B&B. They had a long run of positive comments so just for ****s and giggles I checked on eBay to see how much they cost in quantity—$9.99 . . . that got my interest. I am certainly not in a position where I need blades, but at that price and with so many good comments I finally caved and bought a hundred.

Used the newer Starcraft synthetic brush Chayce (my son) got me (from PAA) with TOBS Cedarwood—never a bad experience with this cream! As for the shave, I have to state all three passes were very comfortable. Didn’t feel as sharp as an Astra but still did a nice job. After the Thayer’s dry-down it felt very much like a BBS result. Hoping I get 5 solid shaves from this blade since I bought 100 of them.

1.25.2020 — This morning’s soap was Big Shave S’West event soap and the Atomic Rocket brush. Got some gorgeous lather that provided a solid, very comfortable 3-pass shave. Can’t seem to escape the ghost Astra I used prior to this blade; used them before, of course, but for some reason this last one really surprised me after each shave, especially the 5th (final) one. This Tatra doesn’t feel as sharp as the Astra, but I honestly can’t argue with the results thus far.

1.26.2020 — Sir Hare with the horsehair brush this morning. The lather from this soap is, once dialed in, nothing short of wonderful—soft, slick, and just feels so right as it goes on. Was feeling a little shaky (didn’t make a good breakfast choice this morning) so I hastily grabbed a piece of turkey jerky and sporadically chewed on it as I finished lathering. First pass, shaved a little here, a little there, chewed, swallowed, a few more strokes, chewed some more, etc. I could feel a little piece that reminded me of the Far Side panel showing one penguin in the midst of a whole roost standing up and singing “I gotta be me!”; one little piece of jerky couldn’t go down the way it was meant, nooooo, it had to irritate my throat and try to go down my windpipe. I held it off long enough to finish the first pass, then allowed a few minor coughs to pass.

View attachment 1056458

Tried rinsing and lathering for the second pass, but apparently my throat was really pissed off and so began the inconsistent, non-synchronous coughs, the ones you can’t quite tell are coming in a normal pattern. Finally went and slugged down some water. Managed to finish lathering and began the second (XTG) pass, but was distracted by continued hacking—throat wasn’t fully satisfied yet. It wasn’t the usual, Zen-like experience, more kind of like when you have to pee so bad at a movie that you finally get up and go, then return and sit there trying to piece together what you missed while away . . . unsatisfying and a tad annoying.

As I rinsed for the third pass. I felt a sting on my right jawline, that same unmistakable sting you get when you know you’ve nicked yourself but there’s no blood. Took about 10 seconds before I found it. Mental note: do not eat while shaving. In this case though, I felt I had to because my hand shaking was like Gene Wilder’s Waco Kid in Blazing Saddles:

Wilder: “I don’t know if you’ve heard of me, but I used to be known as the Waco Kid.”
Cleavon Little (as Sheriff Bart): “The Waco Kid?! He had the fastest hands in the West!”
Wilder: “In the world.”
Little: “Well, if you’re the Kid then show me somethin’”
Wilder: “Well, maybe a couple years ago I could have shown you something, but, today,” — at this point he raises his right hand and it doesn’t move at all. — “Look at that . . .”
Little: “Steady as a rock.”
Wilder: “Yeah, but I shoot with this hand,” he says as he lifts hie left hand which flutters like a gargantuan butterfly on meth.

Substitute ‘shoot’ with ‘shave’ and you get the idea.

Managed to lather much better for the third pass and stifle any remaining (if smaller) hacks. When all was done I didn’t feel like I had a great shave, but surprisingly the result is a true DFS+. I was entirely willing to fully accept a low quality shave due to my own brutal stupidity, but I can’t help but think the blade helped save this soul.

So, there you have it. My meager thoughts on the Tatra blades the enablers of this forum were so kind to introduce me to. Overall, with only three shaves on it, I have to say I like this blade. I admit they don't feel as sharp as some other blades (to me) but they certainly don't dredge up recollections of my worst blade experiences with Laser, Racer, and Parker.

Do I regret having shelled out $10 US for 100? Not at all. For those who like a 'tier' approach, I'd put these at the top of mid-tier I think. Having said that, I am very aware this is but my first ever go with this blade. To be completely fair I need to use them at least once more for a full 5 shaves if possible.

But so far, so good I say :thumbup1:
Great review and I love the “Blazing Saddles” reference!

Tatra is my soulmate-blade. I get fantastic, comfortable shaves in all my razors with them.
If there is any deficiency for me it’s that they only last 4 shaves…I might stretch for the occasional 5th but can tell I’ve crossed the tipping point.

The made in Czech Tigers are identical as I can tell….FWIW

And if I want something just a bit “more” I go with the Russian Gillette Yellow Sharp Edge blades…just a tick higher in terms of risk & reward.

Polsilver SIs/Wizamets are my go-to blades, but I was pleasantly surprised by the tuck of Tatras that I tried. They lack the longevity that I get from my favorites, but they end up costing about the same on a price per shave basis. If I ever get through my cache of blades, I'll consider them.

Top Bottom