What's new

are barrister mann shave soaps worth it?

they seem kinda expensive, but I have heard good things about them. Can anyone tell me which scents you like of theirs and do you prefer their new base over their old base? I have already heard their new shave soaps with the new base are much harder than than the old base. can anyone confirm the newer shave soaps with the new base lasting longer than their old base? how many shaves can you get out of each 4 oz tub?

I have only had 2 shaves with a Barrister & Mann soap, in my case it's the Nordost with the Excelsior base. It's $18 shipped on eBay, so it's moderately expensive but nowhere near the top end in terms of cost. I like everything about this soap; if you are at all interested in an orange scented soap, you cannot go wrong with this one.

Compared to other top tier artisan hot process soaps, it's on the lower end, price-wise.

B&M also does all of their own perfumery, so you're paying for premium ingredients. They don't use premixed fragrance oils.

The newest base (Excelsior) is harder than Reserve, but IMO, it's about equal hardness with the Glissant base it replaced. I haven't used one up since i have too many of each base. They all perform very well.

Great scents that are currently available: (BTW, it looks like they are on sale right now at B&M's website. )
Nordost $16.19
Dickens $12.74 ?!?!
Lavanille $21.59
Cologne Russe $17.98 (I think this is still glissant)
Cheshire $17.09

Whether any soap is "worth the price" depends upon your needs and preferences in a soap. Up until about 8 months ago, Barrister and Mann Excelsior base was one of the very best soaps in my den. In recent months, several other soaps have been released that I believe surpass it, but it still remains a wonderful soap.

The things I look for when rating a soap are as follows:

1. Easy to load and easy to lather. My top soaps will load into the brush in 10-15 seconds. I bowl lather and can get a smooth lather with no large bubbles in about 30 seconds with my best soaps. That may or may not be important to you.
2. Excellent slickness, both primary and secondary. With the best soaps, you can do clean-up strokes without having to reapply lather. Most everyone agrees that excellent slickness is imperative in a great soap.
3. Excellent cushion. I have sensitive skin and like soaps that protect my skin from blade irritation. When I apply witch hazel after the shave, I should feel zero burn or irritation. If your skin is not sensitive, that may not be important to you. Some folks prefer soap without cushion as they feel they get a closer shave.
4. Excellent post shave feel. I expect my face to feel great after the shave, not tight and dry as with some soaps. If your skin is oily, you might not need or want the post-shave moisturizing and conditioning.

B&M Excelsior meets all of my requirements, however, I now have soaps that have even better slickness, cushion and post-shave feel than it does. Although I have not yet tried them, I understand that the new Barrister and Mann limited released Softheart soaps are superior to Excelsior. I am looking forward to trying them.

I have also used B&M Glissant and Reserve soaps. I do not find either to be as good as Excelsior, but they are still very good soaps.

Yes. Well worth it, especially in the Excelsior base. B&M has been transitioning their Glissant based soaps to Excelsior which I prefer. It looks like they will retain their Reserve base soaps as-is for the time being if you have lanolin sensitivity. Provided you find a scent or scents that you like, I suspect you will be happy with B&M Excelsior soap. I myself like Beaudelaire (available only from West Coast Shaving) and Clusterfig, a seasonal soap with a delicate scent. I am also hearing good things with regard to Nordost, a seasonal soap with an orange scent, though I have not personally tried it. Seville would also be a good choice.

Yes. Well worth it, especially in the Excelsior base. B&M has been transitioning their Glissant based soaps to Excelsior which I prefer. It looks like they will retain their Reserve base soaps as-is for the time being if you have lanolin sensitivity. Provided you find a scent or scents that you like, I suspect you will be happy with B&M Excelsior soap. I myself like Beaudelaire (available only from West Coast Shaving) and Clusterfig, a seasonal soap with a delicate scent. I am also hearing good things with regard to Nordost, a seasonal soap with an orange scent, though I have not personally tried it. Seville would also be a good choice.

Nordost is crazy. I love oranges and it is the best orange scent in a soap I have ever smelled. I stocked up after trying it I like it so much, as who knows if he’ll ever make it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried both Glissant and Excelsior bases. The lather and shave from each of them is one of the best you can get. The scents are unique. I don't think anyone needs to chase "the best soap". A soap just has to lather and shave well for you and your skin. Grab some samples from a place like Maggard's to try it out. Since I know I like the soap, it's about finding a scent I like (and usually one that I otherwise don't already have).

With that said, with B&M, I really like the earl grey tea take with Cheshire. I was not a fan of Lavanille (but it's popular). In my experience, and sampling, and sharing with others, people can often smell different things (e.g., "I smell Orange," "Orange, no way, that's powder," "I smell lavender but no orange or powder"). Have fun with the exploration and happy shaving.

I think they are great soaps and worth the money, IMHO. Are there newer and slicker soaps out now yes but they also cost alot more. Can't go wrong with B&M. I like Beaudelaire and a custom scent that was done for SFWS. As for the number of shaves, most newer soaps you can get a couple of months worth of shaves. I for one have not reached the bottom of mine yet.

Great soaps, especially the excelsior and reserve bases. One of my favorite brands and the aftershaves are great also.

I'm likely in the minority here, but I've tried two samples (Seville and Reserve Classic) and found both of them underwhelming.

I'm likely in the minority here, but I've tried two samples (Seville and Reserve Classic) and found both of them underwhelming.
3 things:
For me, samples never work as well as lathering off the puck for me. Some will disagree.

I don’t like seville. Plus it burns my face. I’m in the minority on seville.

classic is a polarizing scent. I love it. I’m in the minority.

My experience is that the performance is very good and the scents are superior. High quality that does not seem synthetic like many other soap brands. If I was shopping for artisan, B&M would be where I started.

Samples in my experience are not reflective of using a full tub or puck.

Last edited:
I only own 3.

LGC
Vespers
Fougere Angelique

these are my first dive into what I would consider a good soap.

I will admittedly declare that I am a soap whore. I love them all from the cheap to what I consider expensive to me.

one tub is worth the learning experience to say the least.

camo

I'm a fan. I like Excelsior and Glissant equally well but pretty much hate Reserve; I don't like having to work that much to get good lather.

That being said, the scents Will does are awesome to me.....Nocturne, Vespers, Roam, East Egg and Diamond being among my favorites.

Top Bottom