What's new

Applying Lacquer To A Razor??

Just curious has anyone ever tried it? Maybe its not an issue for anyone else but I have some older gold razors in beautiful condition but have that iron(y) musty smell when I get them wet and use them, the smell lingers on both my hands and face for a bit after shaving and is a bit off putting. It doesn't need a replate so I got the idea of maybe spraying a coat or two of lacquer like Gillette did to later gold plated models back in the day.

I would think washing "the smelly" razor thoroughly with warm water and soap, then drying the razor with a towel, and then leaving it in the sunlight for say an hour would do the deed.

I've never encountered the problem you describe. Could soap residue be the source?

My guess is that you may have a mold problem. In that case, cleaning would be a better answer than adding another coating.

Thanks for the replies guys. They've both already been washed, scrubbed and sanitized, the smell still lingers when wet during and after the shave. I'm pretty sure the smell is a result of exposed brass even though I can't see with my naked eye. Its not the first time I've owned razors that have the same smell but maybe its not a issue for anyone else. I was just curious if anyone else ever has similar experiences with old vintage razors.

I don’t use vintage razors, but I do notice a smell when my Karve has r Charcoal Goods is wet. I don’t notice the small lingering though.

Brass has a smell? Not in my experience! Just this morning I shaved with what appears to be a "brass" Gem Micromatic Clog-pruf razor. Good shave. No odor.

Respectfully, brother Dale, are you sure your nose is sending you accurate messages?

When I got my bright brass Charcoal Goods I wanted to seal it with lacquer
so bought a can of it with gloves and goggles.

Then I aborted and used renaissance wax instead. It has an odour in the tin
but not on the razor after buffing.

R

romsitsa

Hello,

brass has a slight smell, it could be that you are more sensitive to it than others. It could also be that you pack away the razor still wet, or the inside of the razor has some residue left.
I think the closest match to the original Gillette finish would be nitrocellulose lacquer used for musical instruments.

Adam

When I got my bright brass Charcoal Goods I wanted to seal it with lacquer
so bought a can of it with gloves and goggles.

Then I aborted and used renaissance wax instead. It has an odour in the tin
but not on the razor after buffing.

I tested an old knockoff brand razor with lacquer yesterday, don't think it's a safe for skin and the fumes were enough to get high long after it dried. So I might look into your suggestion of a wax based polish.

If they are TTO or 3 piece, I suspect you have old shaving gunk inside the handles. Don't know how you washed them, but unless you use really hot water and bathroom cleaner, some of that stuff is really persistent.

Honestly, either have them professionally replated, or just use them as-is, after a deep cleaning. Wax finishes (e.g., car wax, Renaissance, etc.,) will only last 1-2 shaves, because of the soap and friction. Heavier finishes will leave residue that will gum up your razors.

The best home-applied finish would be DuraCoat clear coat, applied with an airbrush, after disassembly and cleaning of the razor. Labor intensive, requires some setup costs and a bit of practice.

I was recently reading reviews on a pencil lead holder that was made from brass and people were complaining about their hand smelling like pennies or unpleasant after using it.

You can get waterborne lacquers from a few different companies that lack the head spinning chemicals and stink associated with rattle can sprays and the like. I use with an airbrush as well to apply, simple easy cleanup with water. Target 7000 (Emtech) was one i used for a while, i think General makes some and there are others.
dave

Top Bottom