What's new

Anywhere to shop in Jamaica?

You could also consider going the rum, mint & tobacco route with Czech & Speake Cuba, or go a little tamer with Aramis Havana. You'd probably still want a lighter citrus scent to mix into the rotation.

Cuba is a great idea. That's actually my favorite from C&S (a house I'm not crazy about), but I have that nagging fear that others will detect the dreaded "fecal note."

i was in jamaica last september & took a sample vial of virgin island water with me.
with the weather we're having in the uk @ the moment ive just ordered a 75ml bottle
100 % perfect its a must :thumbup1:

the only other one you should take is floris no.89 for obvious reasons :thumbup:

enjoy

Cb I Hate Perfume "At the Beach '66" and Bond No. 9 "Fire Island" are good beach frags.

I agree with all the other recommendations. Any bay rum is probably good, any lime scent, and many lighter tobacco scents.

Re Cuba, I have never been able to get the fecal note in the past. It always smelled like good cigar tobacco to me. But I got a good-sized decant of it recently and wore it for the first time last night--big time fecal. Baby poo. I do not know what the difference was. I wore it anyway and I think I will continue to do so.

Cb I Hate Perfume "At the Beach '66" and Bond No. 9 "Fire Island" are good beach frags.

I agree with all the other recommendations. Any bay rum is probably good, any lime scent, and many lighter tobacco scents.

Re Cuba, I have never been able to get the fecal note in the past. It always smelled like good cigar tobacco to me. But I got a good-sized decant of it recently and wore it for the first time last night--big time fecal. Baby poo. I do not know what the difference was. I wore it anyway and I think I will continue to do so.

You're finally coming around! May as well smear a baby diaper all over yourself and then splash some bay rum and you will smell just like you put in Cuba :)

You're finally coming around! May as well smear a baby diaper all over yourself and then splash some bay rum and you will smell just like you put in Cuba :)

Or my nose has gone bad! I would say maybe my nose has gotten better, but I do not think any sensory organs get better with age! Or maybe batches of Cuba vary! I am sure I have had at least three, maybe more samples of C&S over time from various sources. C&S is one of my most favorite houses.

I am going to put some Cuba on right now anyway though. I am not sure that the note does note work regardless! I am a fan of some pretty funky notes.

I wonder if I can find an earlier sample vial to compare!

Well I wore Cuba some more, and I really am not kidding when I say they may find some day a longterm tumor pressing on the olfactory center of my brain causing all sorts of inconsistent smell results,

I found the fecal element present, but less prominant this time around. It seemed more clearly tobacco to me. Also less mint than I had remembered.

So I decided to get out some cigars to see what cigar tobacco really smells like. Lo and behold, the ones with maduro wrappers do not smell so much like Cuba, and my selection of natural wrapper smokes at home seem depleted, except for an El Rey del Mundo.

So guess what! Clear fecal notes in the smell of the unlit El Rey. Very much the tobacco accords of the Cuba! So I suppose Cuba does have what are often perceived as strong fecal notes. But so do some cigars. If one likes the smell of an unlit cigar, and I do, those fecal notes are gong to remind one of something other than a dirty diaper, although maybe a dirty diaper, too!

Nothing wrong with fecal aromas in general, by the way. It is not just horse sweat, wet hay, wood, and leather one smells in a stable, and the smell of a stable pushes all good buttons in my head!

How about SMN Acqua di Cuba for the trip? I prefer it quite a bit over the C&S variety, although it might be a bit heavy for the heat...

How about SMN Acqua di Cuba for the trip? I prefer it quite a bit over the C&S variety, although it might be a bit heavy for the heat...

The OP was looking for something to wear in the islands. any SMN captures a bit of Mediterrian sunshine for me, and so thus might be suitable. But SMN AdC seems purely tobacco to me. A long way from VIW. None of the lime, rum, mint that Cuba has. Or the islandy smelling stuff in Havana. Or the lime, coconut, and sunscreen in VIW! Just my thoughts!

The OP was looking for something to wear in the islands. any SMN captures a bit of Mediterrian sunshine for me, and so thus might be suitable. But SMN AdC seems purely tobacco to me. A long way from VIW. None of the lime, rum, mint that Cuba has. Or the islandy smelling stuff in Havana. Or the lime, coconut, and sunscreen in VIW! Just my thoughts!

You are entirely correct!

Wife surprised me with my graduation gift early and told me that we are going to her cousin's destination wedding in Jamaica this summer, sans kids! Every year I talk about how we need a vacation without the kids, and this is finally happening. :thumbup:

Anyway, it is also another excuse to do some fragrance shopping. I am thinking of blind buying a fat decant of VIW just for this, but am very open and interested to hear some other suggestions. So have at it, gents. What's your quintessential island fragrance?

Bay Rum. That reminds me of a tropical destination.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I went down to Jamaica and did a bit or research but not much.

They have the canned Gillette, some BIC razors and that's pretty much it.

I did not see any Aftershave anywhere and went I asked around, I got "we don't use that here". They still stock 'Shaving Powder' at most pharmacies. It's something that was not manufactured in a long time around here. Other than that, I would suggest that you bring your own gear!

Top Bottom