What's new

Anyone with Pompadours, Old School Haircuts

This thread really caught my attention a few days back. I started doing a little online research, and decided to rock a simple straight-back pompadour yesterday. Holy Frijoles! I dunno if I'm a total convert yet, but I'm definitely diggin on it so far. The ol' lady absolutely loves it too! Just a few questions if I could...

I've started off with classic Murray's Pomade, and as I'm sure all you other butter heads out there know, this stuff aint messin around. What are some of your opinions on Murray's, and what are your best methods of washing the stuff out (I don't think I'll be able to rock a pomp where I work)? Also I've heard some people say that Murray's will make your hair fall out...is any of this true, is it really bad for your hair? If so, what are some of your other favorite pomades? I have pretty thick hair so I'll need something that will hold really well...and a little shine would be nice too.

Anyway that's all I've got for now. Thanking everyone in advance for their input, I'm really glad I started rocking the old skool pompadour.
:001_cool:

You may wanna try High Life pomade, I have thick hair and slick it back once in awhile. I use their heavy weight one.

Thanks for the review on the Dax lanolin green Mesaboogie18. I used to sport a Pomp as my Avatar shows. I now rock a very slick side part with the nice flip in front- this stuff sounds perfect for it. I will check out the local Sally and see if I can find it, if not i know the greaseshop carries it. I just purchased some Black and White Light and I got to admit it is tops for shine, so gonna try the Dax next. I hear the Dax Light is very shiny too?? never tried Sweet Georgia red, it is lighter than the Blue right?

The Dax Short and Neat Light is also pretty shiny. It has a nice old school smell reminiscent of a barbershop. It holds pretty well for a side part. I like it a lot. The shine is good but not as good as the green stuff. The red SGB is lighter than the blue. It has a darker color to it too. It's darker than Murray's. The blue SGB has that beautiful golden yellow color. The red has a similar smell with a lighter consistency. The blue SGB is one of my fave pomades. The red is similar but definitely lighter. And I love Black and White! The smell is nice. Reminds me of crayons kinda...and vanilla/coconut. It holds well and is just all around a cool pomade. I haven't tried the B&W Light, but I'll pick some up sometime and try it out.

Last edited:
This thread really caught my attention a few days back. I started doing a little online research, and decided to rock a simple straight-back pompadour yesterday. Holy Frijoles! I dunno if I'm a total convert yet, but I'm definitely diggin on it so far. The ol' lady absolutely loves it too! Just a few questions if I could...

I've started off with classic Murray's Pomade, and as I'm sure all you other butter heads out there know, this stuff aint messin around. What are some of your opinions on Murray's, and what are your best methods of washing the stuff out (I don't think I'll be able to rock a pomp where I work)? Also I've heard some people say that Murray's will make your hair fall out...is any of this true, is it really bad for your hair? If so, what are some of your other favorite pomades? I have pretty thick hair so I'll need something that will hold really well...and a little shine would be nice too.

Anyway that's all I've got for now. Thanking everyone in advance for their input, I'm really glad I started rocking the old skool pompadour.
:001_cool:

Murrays is the strongest holding pomade in my collection. There are others that are close, but Murrays is the strongest...which also makes it the hardest pomade to wash out of my hair. First time I used Murrays, I washed my hair with regular shampoo and even went swimming at the beach and it lasted in my hair for 3 days before I took action. It does pull my hair out...quite a bit actually. I have very fine, straight hair. Murray's won't make you go bald or anything, but it will pull hair out.

If you want to wash Murrays out of your hair, you can buy all kinds of shampoos specially formulated to remove grease...but to tell you the truth, nothing works as good as vegetable oil IMHO. Even better, extra virgin olive oil. Put some of that stuff in your hair while it's dry and work it into your hair, then rinse it out. Also, Dawn dish soap will take grease out of your hair. Same procedure. Just to really make sure I get it all out, I'll start off with veggie oil, rinse it out, then I grab the Lucky 13 shampoo and work it in. After I rinse that out, then I bust out the Dax vegetable oil and rinse it out. Think I'm done? Nope. I finish it off with a regular shampoo to help my hair cope with the fact that I just washed it with all kinds of crazy stuff. It's a long process but the end result is greaseless hair that is soft as a baby's tushie. I only do that after a week or so of regular washings or when I want to use my water soluble stuff.

As for shine, Brylcreem makes your hair really shiny. I always put some in on top of whatever heavyweight pomade is in my hair. SGB blue, Murrays, Deluxe, American Greaser Supply, etc...Some of those already have a good shine but I like my hair hella shiny. Anyways, hope that helps!

Dapper Man is an excellent pomade that is made from a 1930s formula.

It's holds well & washes out easily.

http://dappermanvintage.com/item_1/Dapper-Man-Pomade.htm

About haircuts, yeah, it's hard to find a barber who can cut a good pompadour but even harder to find one who can cut a proper ducktail or DA (short for duck's arse), as we British call them.

Donnie Hawley of Hawleywood's is one of the few.

Wish I lived closer...

If you want to wash Murrays out of your hair, you can buy all kinds of shampoos specially formulated to remove grease...but to tell you the truth, nothing works as good as vegetable oil IMHO. Even better, extra virgin olive oil. Put some of that stuff in your hair while it's dry and work it into your hair, then rinse it out. Also, Dawn dish soap will take grease out of your hair. Same procedure. Just to really make sure I get it all out, I'll start off with veggie oil, rinse it out, then I grab the Lucky 13 shampoo and work it in. After I rinse that out, then I bust out the Dax vegetable oil and rinse it out. Think I'm done? Nope. I finish it off with a regular shampoo to help my hair cope with the fact that I just washed it with all kinds of crazy stuff. It's a long process but the end result is greaseless hair that is soft as a baby's tushie. I only do that after a week or so of regular washings or when I want to use my water soluble stuff.

Thanks for the great advice. I had some olive oil laying around the house, and it worked wonders for me...after which I followed up with a few normal washings with my regular shampoo. I guess the only real problem now is explaining to everyone else in the house, what the heck all the grease and wax is on the shower floor.
:thumbup1:

I've been experimenting with Pomades and sporting a pompador for several months now. The one problem I keep having is that the wax I'm using (Lucky 13, but it has happened with other pomades) globs up at the back of my head. I think it heats up during the day in warm weather and when my body temp rises, then drips down? Any tips?

Thanks for the great advice. I had some olive oil laying around the house, and it worked wonders for me...after which I followed up with a few normal washings with my regular shampoo. I guess the only real problem now is explaining to everyone else in the house, what the heck all the grease and wax is on the shower floor.

No problem man. Me and my buddy rented a house together last year and we both kept vegetable oil and dishwashing soap in the shower for getting out the grease. Everyone that came over and saw it was like :001_huh:

The Dax Short and Neat Light is also pretty shiny. It has a nice old school smell reminiscent of a barbershop. It holds pretty well for a side part. I like it a lot. The shine is good but not as good as the green stuff. The red SGB is lighter than the blue. It has a darker color to it too. It's darker than Murray's. The blue SGB has that beautiful golden yellow color. The red has a similar smell with a lighter consistency. The blue SGB is one of my fave pomades. The red is similar but definitely lighter. And I love Black and White! The smell is nice. Reminds me of crayons kinda...and vanilla/coconut. It holds well and is just all around a cool pomade. I haven't tried the B&W Light, but I'll pick some up sometime and try it out.[/QUOTE

Hey Mesaboogie18- got my Dax green stuff on order with the grease shop- should have it by Friday, Sallys here does not stock it. Should have my Black and White Lite by Friday too-will let you know how they work....

I'm sporting long hair right now...close to middle of my back. I'm considering cutting it off and going with something classic like a pomp. My burning question is...what do modern girls think of greased hair? I'm old school through and through, but I'm sort of an anomaly amongst my friends. I want to sport a pomp or some other greased look, but if the girls are grossed out by the grease then it's all for naught. Don't get me wrong...I love doing my own thing and don't care what others think...but I love the ladies and I want them to love me back. :ladysman:

The Dax Short and Neat Light is also pretty shiny. It has a nice old school smell reminiscent of a barbershop. It holds pretty well for a side part. I like it a lot. The shine is good but not as good as the green stuff. The red SGB is lighter than the blue. It has a darker color to it too. It's darker than Murray's. The blue SGB has that beautiful golden yellow color. The red has a similar smell with a lighter consistency. The blue SGB is one of my fave pomades. The red is similar but definitely lighter. And I love Black and White! The smell is nice. Reminds me of crayons kinda...and vanilla/coconut. It holds well and is just all around a cool pomade. I haven't tried the B&W Light, but I'll pick some up sometime and try it out.[/QUOTE

A online buddy of mine said good luck to trying the Green Dax- he said it smells like a "Dirty Hippy" lol... I still ordered it and will be trying it by this weekend- I always mix in a stronger pomade for hold or some hairspray, so you liked the Hawleywoods grooming spray? I am finding the longer mine gets on top a lil bit of hairspray seems to lock in the style longer. How long are you keeping yours on top Mesa? Mine's about to my eyebrows presently- though the way the barber cuts it, it gets shorter as you move away from the parted side

I'm sporting long hair right now...close to middle of my back. I'm considering cutting it off and going with something classic like a pomp. My burning question is...what do modern girls think of greased hair? I'm old school through and through, but I'm sort of an anomaly amongst my friends. I want to sport a pomp or some other greased look, but if the girls are grossed out by the grease then it's all for naught. Don't get me wrong...I love doing my own thing and don't care what others think...but I love the ladies and I want them to love me back. :ladysman:

My wife doesn't particularly care for the grease (as she tells me she likes to be able to run her hands through my hair :thumbup1: :w00t:), but since I mostly use water based stuff (layrite, clubman gel, groom and clean) it's usually not an issue.

Check out Layrite, Suavecito, and Grant's golden pomade (Suavecito and layrite are essentially identical in form and function, smell different) and I haven't tried Grant's but have heard good things.

If a girl is that into the hair, she'll be into the grease anyways. So I wouldn't fret.

A online buddy of mine said good luck to trying the Green Dax- he said it smells like a "Dirty Hippy" lol... I still ordered it and will be trying it by this weekend- I always mix in a stronger pomade for hold or some hairspray, so you liked the Hawleywoods grooming spray? I am finding the longer mine gets on top a lil bit of hairspray seems to lock in the style longer. How long are you keeping yours on top Mesa? Mine's about to my eyebrows presently- though the way the barber cuts it, it gets shorter as you move away from the parted side

The hawleywood's grooming spray I found doesn't really provide any hold on it's own (though I never really tried it without pomade or something my hair). I did use it as I was combing to get some extra shine, or to re-style later in the day.

I put 1/2 water, 1/2 hair tonic in the bottle when it was empty and it works essentially the same for me.

Yeah the green Dax doesn't smell the best. It's not unbearable or super strong either. The Hawleywoods grooming spray is good stuff. It's really slick and adds a bit more hold and makes my hair easier to groom when I put it in and blow dry before adding Layrite/Suavecito/Lucky 13 Jr., etc..It's not cheap though. I also use consort non-aerosol hairspray and it would probably work well too. My bangs touch the tip of my nose. It's super short in the back and gets longer in the front. The longer it gets the harder it is to style it seems.

Here's a pic of how I style mine on a daily basis. In this pic I used Hawleywood's grooming spray and Suavecito pomade.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Murray's Superior has been working just fine for me so far, and it's available locally. But being new to hair pomades, I'd like to try some other brands too. I've been doing a little research, and I want to buy some Sweet Georgia Brown (blue). Anyone out there that can suggest a good online retailer? I'd also like to pick up some Black & White to use as a topcoat, but I'm having trouble locating that one as well.

Where the heck can you buy this stuff?
:001_huh:

Murray's Superior has been working just fine for me so far, and it's available locally. But being new to hair pomades, I'd like to try some other brands too. I've been doing a little research, and I want to buy some Sweet Georgia Brown (blue). Anyone out there that can suggest a good online retailer? I'd also like to pick up some Black & White to use as a topcoat, but I'm having trouble locating that one as well.

Where the heck can you buy this stuff?
:001_huh:

I bought my purple SGB directly from their website. They have great customer service btw. For some reason when they shipped me my order, it got sent back to them and it took a while for me to get it. So they sent me 2 free tins of SGB pomade. I got my red and blue SGB from www.thegreaseshop.com and they carry all 3 of the SGB's. Check out the greaseshop b/c they have lots of good pomades at a good price.

I bought my purple SGB directly from their website. They have great customer service btw. For some reason when they shipped me my order, it got sent back to them and it took a while for me to get it. So they sent me 2 free tins of SGB pomade. I got my red and blue SGB from www.thegreaseshop.com and they carry all 3 of the SGB's. Check out the greaseshop b/c they have lots of good pomades at a good price.

+1

This is where I shop, too.

Finding a good barber is so hard no matter the hair style. There are just so few of them in the world today. Most places, even calling themselves barber shops, are nothing more then unisex salons with stylists trained to give bad mens hair cuts.

This is why I want to go back to barber college. It's a dying profession, and I've run into my fair share of mediocre barbers.

Thanks a bunch man, I just placed an order now...can't wait for my grease to arrive.

Top Bottom