What's new

Anyone use Bic cartridges?

Thanks!
Personally I think the Flex 2 has more blade feel than the Sensor (although they’ve both got the sprung blades) and maybe slightly harsher.
I’d say the Sensor wins on comfort but the Flex 2 marginally wins on efficiency.
24hrs after the Flex 2 shave I’m still looking pretty smart :)
For sure though the Flex 2 and Sensor are both great shaves.

[emoji1362]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
All this Flex 2 talk from our friends "across the pond" got me thinking about it. I got back to my Flex 2 today after enjoying the Dorco awhile and then the Guard. This is an efficient machine. I did a 2 pass WTG and ATG 8 hours ago and I'm just now starting to feel some stubble in the areas that were bbs.

This is one of the nicest razors for how it handles my neck hair which grows at a steep angle very close to the skin. I really don't go WTG on that, I find I get better results XTG and then ATG. The Flex 2 is probably my best razor in that area.

The other day I said the Guard if I could only choose one, but I don't know. The Flex 2 might take the title. I will have to try it with some growth to see if it's a clogger or not.

The other day I said the Guard if I could only choose one, but I don't know. The Flex 2 might take the title. I will have to try it with some growth to see if it's a clogger or not.
Wow that is praise indeed for the Flex 2!
I love how the Guard and the Flex 2 are both so simple yet so superbly designed.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
And tomorrow's shave will be

20190611_160432.jpg

I purchased the Flex Hybrid 2 as an impulse by the other day and tried it out yesterday, very impressed. Two pass shave, DFS and even BBS in some areas. Fairly aggressive blade feel for me anyhow, but also efficient.

I definitely use this one for quick shave days and travel.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
First outing with the Flex 5 today.

First impressions. This is a disposable, but Bic seems to make hybrid disposable's meaning you can use the handles multiple times and buy carts and then if a handle breaks you can easily replace it by buying another pack with a handle. This is opposed to the normal model of carts having a handle that you typically only buy once.

The handle. This is one of the nicest handles I've used. It fits my hand perfectly. It's grippy in all the right places and comfortable to use. I like it very much. It doesn't feel as "upscale" as the the Dorco handle, but it certainly doesn't feel like a disposable handle in anyway to me. The only thing that gives it away as a disposable is the simple pressure grip / pinch grip to attach and release carts, rather than a more advanced design with a button.

The shave. To me this feels efficient like the Flex 2 or Comfort 3 only delivers a closer shave quicker due to 5 blades. It takes a bit more to rinse it than the Dorco did. I give Dorco a lot of credit for what they call the venetian flow. It was not problematic in anyway and no more difficult to rinse than a Fusion or Hydro 5.

To me it felt a lot like a Fusion but with more lube from it's strip similar to the Hydro 5.

I face lathered with a horsehair brush and Derby, which is my first time using that soap. I was treated to one of the best shaves I've every had. What set this apart for me was the ergonomics of the handle and how the razor moved accross my face. I only lathered on the first pass. My second pass and touch ups were done, by wetting my face with finger tips of water and relying on the residual slickness of the Derby and the lube put out by the razor, which was plenty. I like second passes in which I don't have to lather but can use the residual slickness of the soap. On my second pass I feel like 90 percent of the whisker is gone and at this point any cushion just gets in the way, all I need is glide. This razor glides like nobody's business. Couple that with how well it felt in the hand and it is a winner in my book.

I've commented before about the Bic Flex2 being the best shaver for me in terms of handling the hair at the bottom of my neck which grows very close to the skin. The Flex 5 does just as well or better in than the Flex 2. I also was able to go ATG on my mustache which is the one area of my face many razors cannot go ATG on. Of the DE's I've used only the Merkur 45 can do it. SE, most can due to the rigid blade. The Flex 5 can do it as long as it's not the first pass and I use little to no pressure. (my Gem Junior SE can do ATG on the first pass everywhere if I only have 1 day of growth).

I'm quite impressed with this "disposable". It is right up there with the best carts I've used. I already know I prefer it to the Gillette Fusion and the Schick Hydro 5. I'm going to have to head to head this against the Dorco Pace 7.

I'm anxious to get more shaves in with it and see how the blade life is for me. An absolute wonderful shave today!

20190611_160912.jpg

20190612_164044.jpg

First outing with the Flex 5 today.

First impressions. This is a disposable, but Bic seems to make hybrid disposable's meaning you can use the handles multiple times and buy carts and then if a handle breaks you can easily replace it by buying another pack with a handle. This is opposed to the normal model of carts having a handle that you typically only buy once.

The handle. This is one of the nicest handles I've used. It fits my hand perfectly. It's grippy in all the right places and comfortable to use. I like it very much. It doesn't feel as "upscale" as the the Dorco handle, but it certainly doesn't feel like a disposable handle in anyway to me. The only thing that gives it away as a disposable is the simple pressure grip / pinch grip to attach and release carts, rather than a more advanced design with a button.

The shave. To me this feels efficient like the Flex 2 or Comfort 3 only delivers a closer shave quicker due to 5 blades. It takes a bit more to rinse it than the Dorco did. I give Dorco a lot of credit for what they call the venetian flow. It was not problematic in anyway and no more difficult to rinse than a Fusion or Hydro 5.

To me it felt a lot like a Fusion but with more lube from it's strip similar to the Hydro 5.

I face lathered with a horsehair brush and Derby, which is my first time using that soap. I was treated to one of the best shaves I've every had. What set this apart for me was the ergonomics of the handle and how the razor moved accross my face. I only lathered on the first pass. My second pass and touch ups were done, by wetting my face with finger tips of water and relying on the residual slickness of the Derby and the lube put out by the razor, which was plenty. I like second passes in which I don't have to lather but can use the residual slickness of the soap. On my second pass I feel like 90 percent of the whisker is gone and at this point any cushion just gets in the way, all I need is glide. This razor glides like nobody's business. Couple that with how well it felt in the hand and it is a winner in my book.

I've commented before about the Bic Flex2 being the best shaver for me in terms of handling the hair at the bottom of my neck which grows very close to the skin. The Flex 5 does just as well or better in than the Flex 2. I also was able to go ATG on my mustache which is the one area of my face many razors cannot go ATG on. Of the DE's I've used only the Merkur 45 can do it. SE, most can due to the rigid blade. The Flex 5 can do it as long as it's not the first pass and I use little to no pressure. (my Gem Junior SE can do ATG on the first pass everywhere if I only have 1 day of growth).

I'm quite impressed with this "disposable". It is right up there with the best carts I've used. I already know I prefer it to the Gillette Fusion and the Schick Hydro 5. I'm going to have to head to head this against the Dorco Pace 7.

I'm anxious to get more shaves in with it and see how the blade life is for me. An absolute wonderful shave today!

View attachment 989991
View attachment 989992
Great review!
Bic are producing some real great razors for sure.

A friend of mine gave me a free sample Flex 5 that he'd gotten somewhere and I shaved with it a few times. I have to admit, I was quite impressed. I was expecting something along the lines of the typical Bic disposable, but the quality of the razor and the resulting shaves were quite good. I got smooth shaves with no irritation, at least on par with an average Mach 3 shave.

It's nice to see that Bic has stepped up their game. When I need to go buy more carts, I think I might pick up another one and hunt down some carts for it since the store didn't seem to sell those separately. I'm also curious about the Flex 2.

EDIT: On further reflection, this seems to be exactly what Gillette did with the Guard: semi-disposable handle with replaceable carts and make the whole thing affordable, only they added a few bells and whistles that the Guard doesn't have. Who would've thought we cart shavers would be living in exciting times?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Who would've thought we cart shavers would be living in exciting times?

I've said as much recently. There are SO many good cart systems. If you are budget minded, there are still a lot of good cart systems. In the US, I prefer Dorco and Bic for the value minded shaver and for the best shave I can get, I prefer Dorco and Bic.

Funny that earlier in this same thread I said that I'd never met a Bic I liked and that was true up until a month or so ago. I got a Comfort 3 from my father, those are his tool of choice, so I gave it a try expecting an uncomfortable shave as Bics have given me in the past. I was impressed. Since then I've tried the Flex 2 and Flex 5 and am even more impressed with Bic.

Funny that earlier in this same thread I said that I'd never met a Bic I liked and that was true up until a month or so ago. I got a Comfort 3 from my father, those are his tool of choice, so I gave it a try expecting an uncomfortable shave as Bics have given me in the past. I was impressed. Since then I've tried the Flex 2 and Flex 5 and am even more impressed with Bic.

In the US, the Flex 2 is a best buy. 5.99 at target for a handle and 10 carts.
I totally agree that Bic are producing some impressive contenders - I’ve used the Comfort 3 , Flex 3, Flex 2 and Flex 5 (and have some
Flex 4!) and they’re all excellent for me with the blade feel and efficiency that I really like, as well as being smooth and well designed while being cheaper than most of the competitors.
I just hope the Flex 2 makes it to the UK market and I’m not sure why Bic hasn’t decided to release it here yet.

Finally tried the flex 2 and think your assessment that it is a bit less smooth and a bit more efficient than the Sensor 2 is spot on. I like both quite a bit. The Bic has more space between blades and will likely be better more than one day of growt.

Day two with my Bic Flex 2 Hybrid. Two pass, WTG, ATG and then little cleanup with just water left me DFS+ over all and BBS in many places.

This is a nice two blade razor. Over time I'm going to compare it to my Trac II and the Bic Comfort 3. It's got to be a best buy in carts, especially when you consider you don't have to find on Ebay or Amazon and order large quantities to get the cost down. You go into Target or other retailer and get a handle and 10 carts for 5 or 6 dollars.

I used a brushless cream. The Schick Hydro Sense Comfort. I did WTG and my ATG pass without relathering. Just wet the finger tips and re-wet the face and it's slick. Being brushless it doesn't foam or turn white, but it's still easy enough to see where you've shaved and I think all of us here touch our face during shaving to see what stubble needs to be taken care of after each pass. This cream does take some water pressure to rinse out the razor properly, so if that is a downside for you this may not be your cream. I have the vitamin E version, but there is an Oive Oil version that is supposed to moisten your skin as well.

Now I enjoy a good white foamy lather as much as the next guy, but for me at the end of the day, it's all about the slickness, foam and cushion don't matter in the scheme of a quality shave for me. In fact, my cleanup pass is done after rinsing all cream/soap/whatever off my face and spriting on witchhazel and then doing the touchups. The other brushless I like is Duke Cannon. It is probably slicker and I know it rinses easier than the Schick.

It's 2019 and cartridge users are in high cotton. So many good ones to choose from (once you learn how to wet shave).
Well i saw these at the 99cent store....only has 3 heads...will try when my current Dorco goes dull or I get bored.... but 33 cents a head is inexpensive....

Top Bottom