What's new

Anyone use Bic cartridges?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I like the Flex 2, as I said in the US, it's a real value. Out of the US, not so much, but if you come to like it, ordering in quantity would reduce the cost. And hopefully, if this takes off for Bic, they will market it elsewhere so you might be able to get it without higher shipping costs.

I like the Flex 2, as I said in the US, it's a real value. Out of the US, not so much, but if you come to like it, ordering in quantity would reduce the cost. And hopefully, if this takes off for Bic, they will market it elsewhere so you might be able to get it without higher shipping costs.
Yes I’m excited to try the Flex 2 and ha ha it’s “import only” status in UK makes it seem a bit exotic :)
I emailed Bic about it’s European release date and they just noncommittally said they hadn’t got one yet...

Bic pricing seems to be highly confused. They were always the budget brand before supermarkets came up with bags of 20 disposable razors for next to nothing. They are dirt cheap in Savers, not competitive in supermarkets against Gillette and Edgewell promotions. Expensive with the Bic shave club and KoS.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Yes I’m excited to try the Flex 2 and ha ha it’s “import only” status in UK makes it seem a bit exotic :)
I emailed Bic about it’s European release date and they just noncommittally said they hadn’t got one yet...

I somehow wonder if this is a response targeted at Gillette's Skin Guard and to a lesser extent, Guard. It's cheaply built like the Guard and a two blade like the Skin Guard. It shaves closer than a Skin Guard, so it's not targeted in that way, but there certainly aren't many 2 blade carts around anymore that are of a new release are there?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Bic pricing seems to be highly confused. They were always the budget brand before supermarkets came up with bags of 20 disposable razors for next to nothing. They are dirt cheap in Savers, not competitive in supermarkets against Gillette and Edgewell promotions. Expensive with the Bic shave club and KoS.

They are a budget brand in the US for the most part, but I think they price their carts higher because 1. it's a slightly upscale product vs a disposable. 2. They can (the market will bear it). 2a. The market rather expects it. There is a perceived value out there in that you get what you pay for. Throw it out there too cheaply and some will think it's junk. Perhaps better to price at x and regularly run discounts to y, rather than simply pricing it as y because then people pay y, but feel they are getting x, so "coming out ahead" in their mind.

I have not any of their razors with more than 3 blades, but I did sign up for the Flex 5 trial. I'm guessing it will be a couple of months before that shows up. Offers like that are usually spaced so far from product deliver that you forget you signed up in the first place and it's a surprise when it arrives.

They are a budget brand in the US for the most part, but I think they price their carts higher because 1. it's a slightly upscale product vs a disposable. 2. They can (the market will bear it). 2a. The market rather expects it. There is a perceived value out there in that you get what you pay for. Throw it out there too cheaply and some will think it's junk. Perhaps better to price at x and regularly run discounts to y, rather than simply pricing it as y because then people pay y, but feel they are getting x, so "coming out ahead" in their mind.

I have not any of their razors with more than 3 blades, but I did sign up for the Flex 5 trial. I'm guessing it will be a couple of months before that shows up. Offers like that are usually spaced so far from product deliver that you forget you signed up in the first place and it's a surprise when it arrives.
Oh what’s the Flex 5 trial?

I like the Flex 5 (and it’s Bic Shave Club equivalent the #5) a lot and it seems more efficient than the other 5-blade carts I’ve used as well as being pleasantly smooth for me.
But in UK it is relatively expensive compared to the other Bics.

Also does the “Flex” part of the name mean it has sprung blades like the the Flex 3, 4 and 5?
And does that make it the only sprung twinblade apart from the Sensor/Excel (and I guess the Skinguard)?

Also does the “Flex” part of the name mean it has sprung blades like the the Flex 3, 4 and 5?
And does that make it the only sprung twinblade apart from the Sensor/Excel (and I guess the Skinguard)?
Mach3 and Fusion are spring mounted as well.

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Superb! I didn’t know the Flex4 came BEFORE the Flex3

And the Flex 2 after the 3. That's part of what makes me wonder if the Flex 2 is somewhat targeting the Gillette Guard/Skin Guard market. Maybe we'll get a Flex 1 someday.

It’s here! It’s here in Devon all the way from the USA:
8F8C50AB-F2EA-4942-91C5-914787DF0A11.jpeg
B0C4B4F8-BCFC-4DDE-9A1D-4E6B5708EDDC.jpeg

The blades are spring mounted like the rest of the Flex series although they don’t appear to be spot welded.
It’s a very efficient shave for me with a lot of blade feel but also pleasantly smooth.
YMMV - I know some find the Bic blades harsh but I really like the feel on the face.
The big issue for me is the handle - those supplied Hybrid handles are super light and look ugly although they do feel good in the hand.
Both the King Of Shaves Retro 4 and the Original Bic Shave Club handles will accept the Flex 2 carts but there’s a small issue that the notch in the back of the cart is different from the Flex 3,4,5 so if you apply too much pressure the Flex 2 head flips back and locks on those handles.
It’s no biggy and I successfully shaved with the original BSC handle.
But it turns out the Flex 5 disposable handles probably suit the Flex 2 cart better because they are a perfect fit.
In any case it’s a great shave!
2C2BC6F7-18C2-418D-A1CC-956330A8DADA.jpeg

So why have Bic come up with a twin blade Flex?
And why isn’t it available in UK?
Is this just aimed at the budget system market?
Or is it designed for people who are disillusioned with all the multi-blade madness that’s taking us up to seven blade carts and beyond?

Anyway this is excellent - the only room for improvement for me would be the provision of a better OEM handle.
But the performance of the cart is brilliant.
The packaging also says “longer lasting”.
The first shave was fiercely sharp so that very promising too.

Anyway this is excellent - the only room for improvement for me would be the provision of a better OEM handle.
But the performance of the cart is brilliant.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review. I’m getting back into the twin blades when I don’t have time for more traditional DE or shavette razors. I have been digging the Gillette Sensor . If you’ve used the Sensor, how does this Bic compare.

Last edited:
Great review. I’m getting back into the twin blades when I i don’t have time for more traditional DE or shavette razors. I have been digging the Gillette . If you’ve used the Sensor, how does this Bic compare.
Thanks!
Personally I think the Flex 2 has more blade feel than the Sensor (although they’ve both got the sprung blades) and maybe slightly harsher.
I’d say the Sensor wins on comfort but the Flex 2 marginally wins on efficiency.
24hrs after the Flex 2 shave I’m still looking pretty smart :)
For sure though the Flex 2 and Sensor are both great shaves.

Top Bottom