What's new

Anyone use Bic cartridges?

Ha ha - I actually joined the Bic Shave Club.
A bit more expensive than buying the retail disposable Bic Flex carts but I’m worth it eh?

Very nice handle.
The carts are the same as the Flex 5 carts but with an adapter which will fit Mach 3 handles (although the Mach 3 carts won’t fit the Bic handle because their adapter is shallower).
I wonder if the adapter can be removed and attached to the retail Flex carts?
Now I’m in the Bic Shave Club it doesn’t really matter lol
View attachment 978137 View attachment 978138 View attachment 978139
I really like these Bic #5 shaves too, a good balance between aggression and smoothness which I’d previously found in the ER 1924!
I haven't been impressed with the Bic's. I have the various Hybrids and Flex3/4/5.
They just don't feel smooth. Sensor3's are also a bit harsh, but provide a great shave so maybe I will give them a third chance.

I haven't been impressed with the Bic's. I have the various Hybrids and Flex3/4/5.
They just don't feel smooth. Sensor3's are also a bit harsh, but provide a great shave so maybe I will give them a third chance.
It’s reassuring that YMMV applies in the world of carts too.
I definitely like the Bics best!
So far I’ve used Mach 3, Pace 3, Pace 6, Magnum, GT5, Caliber 3, Caliber 5, MR3 Neo, Matrix 3, Bic Flex 3 and Bic #5 and the Bics are definitely my favourite - for me they are smooth and have a satisfying level of aggression too (and great aesthetics with the Retro 4 and Shave Club handles).

@Sabre I really appreciate your breadth of experience and depth of comment in this brave new world of cart shaving!
How does the Sensor3 compare to the Mach 3?
Does it have any advantages?

Apart from being half price if bought at Wilko's on promotion. Their performance is very similar to the Mach3. They aren't as smooth when shaving, imagine the Mach3 on a 5 day growth. My girlfriend was impressed with the BBS shave from the Sensor3. There are 2 versions, the differences are the lubestrip ingredients. I have both, one is called Comfort and is blue, the other has a orange strip. I am sure one is a rebranded Blue3, which is usually cheaper with a different handle.

Apart from being half price if bought at Wilko's on promotion. Their performance is very similar to the Mach3. They aren't as smooth when shaving, imagine the Mach3 on a 5 day growth. My girlfriend was impressed with the BBS shave from the Sensor3. There are 2 versions, the differences are the lubestrip ingredients. I have both, one is called Comfort and is blue, the other has a orange strip. I am sure one is a rebranded Blue3, which is usually cheaper with a different handle.
Thanks that’s very helpful.
To be honest I can’t imagine a better design than the Mach 3.

It’s reassuring that YMMV applies in the world of carts too.
I definitely like the Bics best!
So far I’ve used Mach 3, Pace 3, Pace 6, Magnum, GT5, Caliber 3, Caliber 5, MR3 Neo, Matrix 3, Bic Flex 3 and Bic #5 and the Bics are definitely my favourite - for me they are smooth and have a satisfying level of aggression too (and great aesthetics with the Retro 4 and Shave Club handles).

@Sabre I really appreciate your breadth of experience and depth of comment in this brave new world of cart shaving!
How does the Sensor3 compare to the Mach 3?
Does it have any advantages?
I would give the Quattro a try, either as a disposable or system.

Great! And what about the Hydro (which Wilko and Tesco do as own brand)?
Does that bring anything new to the party?
They are both okay whether as first generation and now private label or the second generation. Most carts are as good as each other, so just go where the value is if that's important. In a few hours, I am shaving with a Caliber 5. Because I feel like it.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Liking the shave I got from my fixed handle disposable comfort 3, I spotted these in Target today. It's a two blade cart from Bic. $5.99 for handle and 10 carts. BIC - BIC® Flex2™ Hybrid™ Razor I'll report back.

I'm going to run it like my Guard and see how many shaves I can get. The three blade is great, but I don't like having to toss the whole handle each time, even though I recycle via this program. Gillette® Razor Recycling Program

Last edited:
Liking the shave I got from my fixed handle disposable comfort 3, I spotted these in Target today. It's a two blade cart from Bic. $5.99 for handle and 10 carts. BIC - BIC® Flex2™ Hybrid™ Razor I'll report back.

I'm going to run it like my Guard and see how many shaves I can get. The three blade is great, but I don't like having to toss the whole handle each time, even though I recycle via this program. Gillette® Razor Recycling Program
That’s very interesting.
I haven’t seen the Flex 2 here in UK yet but am keen to try it.
Now that I have the very decent KoS and Bic Shave Club handles I am a total Bic fan!

I do like the Quattro as well. I have the disposable.
I just picked up some Quattro Titanium disposables yesterday too on offer in Superdrug.
It’s crazy how the disposables are cheaper than the replacement carts when you can just pop the heads off the disposables and use them as carts anyway...

I just picked up some Quattro Titanium disposables yesterday too on offer in Superdrug.
It’s crazy how the disposables are cheaper than the replacement carts when you can just pop the heads off the disposables and use them as carts anyway...
My Quattro Vintage Wood Effect handle arrived yesterday, so may pop into Superdrug. I probably have 5 packs already, but like socks they go missing.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Day two with my Bic Flex 2 Hybrid. Two pass, WTG, ATG and then little cleanup with just water left me DFS+ over all and BBS in many places.

This is a nice two blade razor. Over time I'm going to compare it to my Trac II and the Bic Comfort 3. It's got to be a best buy in carts, especially when you consider you don't have to find on Ebay or Amazon and order large quantities to get the cost down. You go into Target or other retailer and get a handle and 10 carts for 5 or 6 dollars.

I used a brushless cream. The Schick Hydro Sense Comfort. I did WTG and my ATG pass without relathering. Just wet the finger tips and re-wet the face and it's slick. Being brushless it doesn't foam or turn white, but it's still easy enough to see where you've shaved and I think all of us here touch our face during shaving to see what stubble needs to be taken care of after each pass. This cream does take some water pressure to rinse out the razor properly, so if that is a downside for you this may not be your cream. I have the vitamin E version, but there is an Oive Oil version that is supposed to moisten your skin as well.

Now I enjoy a good white foamy lather as much as the next guy, but for me at the end of the day, it's all about the slickness, foam and cushion don't matter in the scheme of a quality shave for me. In fact, my cleanup pass is done after rinsing all cream/soap/whatever off my face and spriting on witchhazel and then doing the touchups. The other brushless I like is Duke Cannon. It is probably slicker and I know it rinses easier than the Schick.

It's 2019 and cartridge users are in high cotton. So many good ones to choose from (once you learn how to wet shave).

I tried the Flex 3 again. I have had a close shave, the razor wasn't so rough as I remembered it. My face did feel more raw than from using a Mach3, so much so I had to get out the Institute Karite balm out. I didn't really notice the feel of the handle, but damn it's ugly. The cart is too clunky, so as with the Hydro3 getting under the nose is hard. At least the Hydro5 has a trimmer, but that is in a different price bracket. If I used these regularly then as others have suggested the KoS Retro would probably be required.

These work out at 50p a cart compared to a Mach3 disposable at £1.16.

Last edited:
Yes I don’t know why those Bic retail handles are so ugly and unpleasant - for me they don’t feel very nice in the hand either.
Maybe it’s so you throw them away!

The Retro4 handle from KoS really is a pleasure to use though.

To me the Bic carts have more blade feel than the others but I really like their French style.
The new Bic Shave Club #5 carts are a Flex5 with an adapter to fit their new handle and I had a superb shave with mine last night.
They have a trimmer blade so I could enforce the edges of my moustache too and actually this is one of my favourite carts:
D1FC600D-65F9-49F4-A08B-E0C25A42EF3F.jpeg

That’s very interesting.
I haven’t seen the Flex 2 here in UK yet but am keen to try it.
Now that I have the very decent KoS and Bic Shave Club handles I am a total Bic fan!
I have just ordered the Bic Flex 2 from Amazon USA. I added the Flex 4 Hybrid to the order so the $4.50 shipping charge wouldn't be so steep. I was charged £14.00 so £1.00 per cart. Flex 4 disposables are possibly 66p each in Savers, but any cart under £1.20 is good value.

I have just ordered the Bic Flex 2 from Amazon USA. I added the Flex 4 Hybrid to the order so the $4.50 shipping charge wouldn't be so steep. I was charged £14.00 so £1.00 per cart. Flex 4 disposables are possibly 66p each in Savers, but any cart under £1.20 is good value.
Synchronously I just ordered the Flex 2 from Amazon US too!
Great minds think alike etc...

Last edited:
Top Bottom