What's new

Anyone use Bic cartridges?

First experiment with a Flex 3 Comfort this morning. This is the disposable version but at £1.99 for 4 at Savers UK I couldn't really say no. Slightly harsher than a Mach 3 Turbo but no irritation of nicks or anything unpleasant. The lubrastrip is very gooey (like the old ones on a GII Plus) but all in all the shave was OK. I'm interested in this as a cheap travel razor as the carts will fit the KoS Retro 4 which has the Bic fitting and a nice aluminium handle. I believe the connector can unscrew from the handle giving the possibility of using other handles if desired.

I can get good uses of cartridges

But that's only if I lather with a good soap and use DE technique
Id agree with that. I went from carts to dry shaving with clippers to DE and now back to carts and Id agree that learning wet shaving technique has made me a much better shaver with carts.
I used to hate shaving with carts but now its a pretty pleasant experience and I can get a shave with a cart that is every bit equal to the best shave with a DE.
IMO, modern gear with classic technique makes for a great shave.

I hate Bic single blade disposables, where I just get red patches and small pimples coming up after each use.

But ending some six months ago, I got three months worth of shaves from a Bic Flex 3-Blade disposable, cleaning it with the Razorpit after each shave. That's the longest lasting cartridge I've ever come across.

I initially threw it in the bin when it was no longer shaving close enough, but I then retrieved it and put it to the side - as sometimes when aggrevated by some other razor, it's handy having a mild razor for the next day's shave.
Regards,
Renato

I’ve heard really good things about the Flex series but was very much out off by the horrid Hybrid rigid plastic handle. I’ve seen the suggestions to use the KoS Retro 4 handle or the Bic Shave Club handle instead.

The soft grip Flex disposable handles are actually really nice too so I’ve taken my Flex 3 Hybrid carts and transplanted then onto the disposable handle.
Since the disposable Flex 3 actually works out cheaper than the Hybrid anyway this seems like the only way to go really.

I get cut to death by the cheaper products, the more expensive Flex and Hybrid unfortunately are too rough for me.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I like the Schick Quattro as travel carts because they're angle is more aggressive. They work well with a good soap

I think so too.

As to Bic, I got one to try recently. It's a three blade with a lube strip with a non pivoting head. I don't have high hopes as I've never used a Bic I liked since 1985, but a friend likes them and gave me one to try.

So my big criticism of the Bic Flex carts was the horrible handles but the King Of Shaves Retro handle is compatible and it’s awesome - especially for someone like me who’s moving back from DE to carts:
0406881C-B8CB-450E-BBE5-3D5179825CDE.jpeg

I prefer aggressive razors and love the feel of the Flex 3 and it’s extreme efficiency.
I can see why it’s criticised for being a bit rough in comparison to the Dorcos and Personnas but again coming from aggressive DEs and SEs to this it’s perfect.

And check out the handle on the Flex 5 - here in UK it’s a bit scarcer and more expensive than the rest but it’s certainly got style:
8424E1FD-8ADD-4E46-B0A6-7E811F1AB5D5.jpeg

So my big criticism of the Bic Flex carts was the horrible handles but the King Of Shaves Retro handle is compatible and it’s awesome - especially for someone like me who’s moving back from DE to carts:
View attachment 971673
I prefer aggressive razors and love the feel of the Flex 3 and it’s extreme efficiency.
I can see why it’s criticised for being a bit rough in comparison to the Dorcos and Personnas but again coming from aggressive DEs and SEs to this it’s perfect.

And check out the handle on the Flex 5 - here in UK it’s a bit scarcer and more expensive than the rest but it’s certainly got style:
View attachment 971681
There is a posh Bic handle that you get with their Shave Club.

There is a posh Bic handle that you get with their Shave Club.
Yes I was looking at that but the carts from the Bic Shave Club say they are Mach 3 compatible so I assumed it was a different connector to the Bic Flex carts I can get in the shops...

Yes I was looking at that but the carts from the Bic Shave Club say they are Mach 3 compatible so I assumed it was a different connector to the Bic Flex carts I can get in the shops...
That's new. You missed out on the previous version. I am not sure they were compatible, I will check this weekend. I have the previous 5, Flex 3/4's and Hybrid 3.

proxy.php

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
As to Bic, I got one to try recently. It's a three blade with a lube strip with a non pivoting head. I don't have high hopes as I've never used a Bic I liked since 1985, but a friend likes them and gave me one to try.

Well today I was served crow for breakfast. I had a two day growth and did my first pass with a single blade Gem Junior. This was my 6th shave out of it and the blade got tuggy 1/2 way through the first pass. Finished and and decided to pull out the Bic for pass number 2.

The razor was the Bic Comfort 3 with the non pivoting head. I did 1 pass ATG and a couple of touchups and I'm BBS over 90+ percent of my face. It was a very comfortable shave. I don't think I would use a 3 blade with 2 or more days of growth as my past experience is that it's not a pleasant shave, too much pulling, tugging and clogging, but I think I could easily do both passess of daily shaves with this. In fact I intend to tomorrow.

For Cream I used the Duke Cannon Superior Shave cream ( will lather, but bubbly and dissipates, but super residual slickness. Enough for subsequent passes if wetting. IMO, the Duke Cannon is best used simply wetting the face and smearing a bit all over)
Duke Cannon Balm - Good stuff. Lots of menthol and a very nice scent afterwords.

Id agree with that. I went from carts to dry shaving with clippers to DE and now back to carts and Id agree that learning wet shaving technique has made me a much better shaver with carts.
I used to hate shaving with carts but now its a pretty pleasant experience and I can get a shave with a cart that is every bit equal to the best shave with a DE.
IMO, modern gear with classic technique makes for a great shave.
Totally agree with this. I use both carts and a DE razor, and learning how to improve my DE technique has improved the results I get from cartridges. Best of both worlds, as far as I'm concerned.

Totally agree with this. I use both carts and a DE razor, and learning how to improve my DE technique has improved the results I get from cartridges. Best of both worlds, as far as I'm concerned.
I totally agree too - coming to carts with knowledge of good prep and technique learned from DEs and SEs is giving me magnificent shaves!

Well I acquired one of the old style Bic Shave Club handles which will accept the retail Flex heads.
It’s a real beauty:
121219D3-29AC-49F1-A617-25711C4DBA3F.jpeg

The King Of Shaves Retro handle works great with the Flex 3 and Flex 4 heads but the Flex 5 head is too wide to work with it.
Of course the Flex 5 head works brilliantly with the old style Bic Shave Club handle.

And guess what? I’ve actually subscribed to the new Bic Shave Club as well.
Cart shaving has helped me realise the illusion of saving money by wetshaving - I spent literally £1000’s on vintage DEs, SEs and straights yet I started obsessing about the differences between carts which cost £0.50 and carts which cost £2.00.

A cart will last me a month so we’re talking about a saving of £1.50 a month from the most expensive Gillette cart to the cheapest Personna cart.
I’m in the First World with a full time job so to be honest that kind of saving is irrelevant.

What’s important is the quality of the shave and it turns out that Gillette, Personna, Dorco and Bic are all excellent because with such fierce competition they all have to be.
So really, as with straight razors, it just comes down to aesthetics which one you choose, and I really like the Bic aesthetics.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Carts work great for 80 percent of the market, probably 95 if they all knew wet shaving techniques. I'm sure some small percentage get irritation or in ingrowns from the 3/4/5 blade affairs, but now there is the Gillette Skinguard and Guard which overcome that too.

My favorite is still my SE, but to say carts are generally bad is a fine display of one's ignorance.

You folks are right about the money. Unless one gets ONE DE razor one brush and a soap, it can get out of hand and the costs end up much greater than buying the most expensive carts.

Also carts save time and time is money. I'm not into the whole "day spa" treatment or shave theater that some here are. If you are not, just getting a good shave in a reasonable time is what it's about because guess what, you'll have to do it all over again tomorrow. Carts are as good as anything for that, for the vast majority.

Ha ha - I actually joined the Bic Shave Club.
A bit more expensive than buying the retail disposable Bic Flex carts but I’m worth it eh?

Very nice handle.
The carts are the same as the Flex 5 carts but with an adapter which will fit Mach 3 handles (although the Mach 3 carts won’t fit the Bic handle because their adapter is shallower).
I wonder if the adapter can be removed and attached to the retail Flex carts?
Now I’m in the Bic Shave Club it doesn’t really matter lol
BA8A7D26-386C-4CAE-B7B2-79E3B3892985.jpeg
FBC1FA88-5376-4D5A-A0CF-F7CE5E4EC302.jpeg
643733F2-7C98-4EE0-860E-9935AA040611.jpeg

I really like these Bic #5 shaves too, a good balance between aggression and smoothness which I’d previously found in the ER 1924!

Top Bottom