What's new

Anyone use a moisturizer instead of aftershave balm or lotion.

I have very dry skin. After shaving I usually use an aftershave balm or lotion. It helps to cool irritation, but I find my face is very tight after having washed and shaved (I use cetaphil face wash). I have tried using a moisturizer to help with the tightness but found it doesn't much help with irritation.
I was wondering if anyone uses a moisturizer in lieu of aftershave and what your experience has been. Or if someone knows of a product that will do both. I know most aftershave lotions are supposed to soothe and moisturize but they still leave me with a tight feeling face. Thanks for the help.

P.S. any suggestions are welcome even if its some other way to help tight skin.

After shaving, I usually use an after shave balm or witch hazel and then carry on cleaning up my shave gear. When I am finished tidying up, I will moisturize my face.

DJH, I thought about that. You don't find that its too much product? I know the balm will have absorbed somewhat but isnt their an overlap with the balm and moisturizer mixing together?

Chili, do you just use a regular witch hazel with alcohol or thayers? I worry that normal witchhazel would dry my skin out even further.

I use Nivea balm but it is so milky that it doesn't feel like it does much. So I will be trying Mitchell's Woolfat hand and body lotion as it will be more heavier. THen followed up by skinfood

I used Edwin Jagger Sandalwood balm, but it was a bit to greasy for my taste. Recently I'm using TOBS Jermyn Street Sensitive Aftershave Cream. I really like this stuff. It's not greasy at all, but it still moisturizes my dry skin. The smell is great just like the shaving cream.

I've been using a home made concoction for about a month now and i'm so pleased that i made a second batch.
Ingredients:
-Nature's Gate "Colloidal Oatmeal" lotion (no alchohol, all noncomedogenic oils, aloe, glycerin etc.)
-Witch hazel (no alchohol). Dissolved some aspirin in it first for it's Salicylic Acid content.
-Shea Butter
Also, i've been using pure Jojoba oil as a pre-shave and it is REALLY impressive.

For the past ten years (or so) I used facial lotion rather than ASB/AS. About 4 months ago I purchased my first aftershave. Now, if I have showered prior to shaving I apply mosturizer after the ASB balm has dried. If I use a hot towel prep, then I only apply the ASB.

IMO the facial lotion (I prefer Eucerin) provides superior moisture to the ASB.

Sometimes I use a few drops of Nivea. If there's any rash or razor burn I use a little A+D ointment. The one by Fougera is better.

my wife gave me a bottle of Cetaphil that I use when my face is feeling dry. It really helps with dry skin.

Besides that, I simply use Nivea Sensitive balm and Proraso aftershave balm.

Concerning moisturizers I have found that if I use something the night before I shave I get a better shave in the morning. There are lot of things that you can use after a close shave. I finish with an Alum block and then rinse with really cold water.

Here is something that I picked up recently from a video of Mantic getting a straight shave by a master barber. L'Occitane Cade is a wonderful moisturizing cream but it is a little greasy and heavy for me and is some pretty expensive stuff besides. I have stated just putting a little dab on my hand and then using some aftershave splash on my hand then rubbing on my face. It is a great way to get good penetration of a heavy moisturizer and be able to use an aftershave. Very nice finish.

Take Care,
Richard

I use Neutrogena Triple Protect a couple times a week. It works well as a moisturizer. I guess it can also be used as an aftershave and has spf 20. The consistency is like lotion and is scentless. I don't use it everyday, because I prefer splashes and my skin doesn't get that dry but it's pretty effective.

Chili, do you just use a regular witch hazel with alcohol or thayers? I worry that normal witchhazel would dry my skin out even further.

Thayers is made from bark, has aloe vera in it, and isn't distilled. Drug store stuff is made from leaves and is. They both may be named witch hazel, but the similarity ends there. The beneficial tannins in Thayers are way high, this is good.

I cold water rinse, use an alum block, and rinse again with Thayers (citrus). My skin is in beyond fine shape.

That's it. I'm not a balm guy or an after shave guy. Maybe some Hermes Eau d'orange verte later on to give the chicks something to talk about ;)

I use Neutrogena Triple Protect a couple times a week. It works well as a moisturizer. I guess it can also be used as an aftershave and has spf 20. The consistency is like lotion and is scentless. I don't use it everyday, because I prefer splashes and my skin doesn't get that dry but it's pretty effective.

I've used this in the past and it is a quality lotion. I like it because it has some SPF. Right now I'm using Alcohol free Thayers Witch Hazel. I like it and would recommend trying it. When I'm not using the Witch Hazel (I don't use it every day) I use L'Oreal Men Expert Aftershave lotion.
It doesn't have any alcohol in it and it lasts a good long time.

Top Bottom