What's new

Anyone recognize this set?

Hey gents - been a while since I've posted here, but figured I'd check in with the brain trust :)

I encountered this set in the wild the other day and unfortunately wan't able to inspect it any closer - missing a key for the case at the store.

Anyone recognize the set? Appears complete. Looks like a single ring, but I have not seen a set like this before - the third metal tube is unusual and a kind I haven't seen in a Gillette set before. Might be a clone, but figured I'd ask in here.

Cheers

razor-unknown-2.jpg

Without seeing Gillette markings, I'm guessing French or British clone. The eau-de-toilette or powder bottle is more a European thing, as is the glass mirror. But, ya never know...

R

romsitsa

Hello,

it looks more like a clone. The "dull" inscription and design of the blade banks in not Gillette.
Brush also looks unfamiliar, the soap tube lacks the embossed lip around the cap.
Razor has 13 teeth instead of 14, and the the comb has a slight curve in it, unlike old type Gillettes (bit similar to the New).
The mirror and lining is similar to early Gillette combination sets, but everything else looks off.

The set is very nice imho.

Adam

Good to see you again!
Given the extremely flat and seemingly unmarked bottom of that razor, I do not believe it is a Gillette.
The set is still very interesting. I would have probably bought it depending on price.
The tube closest to the sharp box seems to have a threaded bottom, possibly containing a brush that screws to the bottom. I've seen one recently that was non Gillette and made of sterling silver, though that one was paired with a razor of sterling silver base and Gillette head.

Thanks gents!

They were asking $145 Canadian - a little rich for me for a wild catch like this. Interesting though - may have to watch it and or give him an offer. A different set for sure.

I would take a good look at the razor if you happen by again.
I keep looking at the baseplate. It's just so well machined that I keep coming back and expecting to see a Gillette emblem. Of course, it's the wrong handle for a New Improved; but that doesn't mean it's not a bizarre mismatch.

R

romsitsa

It can't be Gillette, the comb has only 13 teeth per side.

Adam

Top Bottom