What's new

Anyone recall the razor gang wars in Australia?

proxy.php

straight razors became the weapon of choice after Sydney regional govt. outlawed pistols in early 1900's!
they were especially used by the drug lords and prostitute gangs!
finally the govt. outlawed possession of a straight razor unless there was a "good reason"!
today, local guides take tours through the old gang hang-outs!

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
Now Leroy he a gambler
And he like his fancy clothes
And he like to wave his diamond rings
In front of everybody's nose
He got a custom Continental
He got an Eldorado too
He got a thirty two gun in his pocket for fun
He got a razor in his shoe

Actually straight razors were used as weapons by street gangs in the USA too in the early 1900's, not as a defensive weapon but to scare and scar defenseless people like prostitutes not willing to pay for protection.

Legion

Staff member
There was a tv series here called Underbelly. It was basically a true crime drama dealing with various organized crime sagas throughout the years. One season was all about the razor gangs during the depression. You might be able to find it online.

Legion

Staff member
I would much rather have a good bowie or even a tanto than a razor, for a weapon.
If you got picked up by the cops a gun or a Bowie you would get you thrown in jail for a very long time. Aussie weapons laws were strict even back then.

A gent with a razor could just be headed to the public baths for a shave, officer.

That was the idea, anyway.

And the threat of being held down while the local opposing gang sliced off your nose with a razor had a certain amount of intimidation factor, I would wager.

I guess they were our version of the Peaky Blinders.

Last edited:
I do not want to get into the politics of gun laws, but this is just an example of what happens when one type of weapon is outlawed. There is always something else that can be used as an alternative for those who minds are set on violence. Many a murder or assault has been committed with common household items: candlesticks, kitchen knives, razors, hammers, screwdrivers, shovels, baseball bats, frying pans, rat poison, bleach, drain cleaner, fertilizer and fuel oil, motor vehicles, not to mention chain saws and bolt cutters. If we were to outlaw everything that could be used as a weapon of violence, we would set civilization back to where it was before the discovery of fire, which in itself is capable of great violence and destruction as evidenced by some of the wildfires in various parts of the world. Violence can only be eliminated from the inside. Thus, I wish peace on earth and good will to all during this holiday season.

Actually straight razors were used as weapons by street gangs in the USA too in the early 1900's, not as a defensive weapon but to scare and scar defenseless people like prostitutes not willing to pay for protection.

I want to see a razor episode on Forged In Fire.

"The idea here is not to see what your razor will do to the beard,
but what the beard will do to your razor."

"Your razor, ... will cut."

"And now, the bone chop!"

Top Bottom