What's new

Anyone out there a seasoned crypto investor?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I once received a scam blackmail letter that demanded 1 bitcoin or they would expose all my deepest, darkest secrets. Just for grins, I looked at bitcoin. It was about $1500 at that time.

Yeah, it would've been nice to have bought a few or 10 back then, but whatcha gonna do?

I didn't pay them anything, of course. I expect my deepest, darkest secrets pretty much already are on B&B.
Not NEARLY as much as mine my friend. It's why I tell so much: anything I did werth blackmailing me over EVERYONE already knows.

I try to keep short accounts with everyone. The only guy that's got any dirt on me is @KeenDogg , and he's too nice to go after me!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Gimme a bitcoin, or I'll tell everyone what your custom title REALLY means!
Please spare me the utter humiliation. Here is your BTC:

1CRqGeTtZ82Wj6joG2LU1vEVWE7xUnzp5L

Just work out the private key and it is all yours.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Not NEARLY as much as mine my friend. It's why I tell so much: anything I did werth blackmailing me over EVERYONE already knows.

I try to keep short accounts with everyone. The only guy that's got any dirt on me is @KeenDogg , and he's too nice to go after me!
Wouldn't dream of it, but we really do need to talk about your....you know....problem. *AHEM* 🤣🤣🤣🤣

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

I left out the best part of the story. Mrs. TL and I have no secrets between each other. She knows my deepest, darkest ones (and has played a major role in at least a few of them 😀).

I showed her the letter. She got a bit of a smirk and said, "who are they going to tell? Your wife?"

There's much to be said for having a soulmate.

I think people should buy crypto with their "fun money". I don't think it's a good primary investment strategy, though clearly it has worked pretty well for some up to now.

I’m with you as a new crypto “investor”. Us residents here were only allowed to trade crypto as of August last year when the State announced that it would allow trading on State-approved platforms as a temporary “experiment”.

So I’ve been putting a little bit of money toward BTC on the dips. I’d like to use Coinbase but it’s not one of the State-approved platforms. So I use Gemini.

I've been involved in the space since mid 2018, both investing and small mining.
I re-entered the market for both mining and speculation in Feb 2021 and exited holdings in late April. May onwards the market trend went too parabolic to be sustainable, so the current corrective cycle is expected. I'm still mining now, but the profitability has dropped off for smaller players.
The data is showing the market is going through a corrective cycle, there is no data to support it will just return to previous higher highs of May 2021 any time soon. The smart money took profit or is shorting IMO. Speculators and hopefuls are still entering, why I dont know, the fundamentals in the market data/trends are not there

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@mattps1 I agree with you. Over the past few years I have been developing a computer model for BTC predictions. It works well for looking at longer-term predictions but doesn't work short-term.

My modelling is currently showing a very good chance (over 90%) of BTC reaching USD 100k before the end of 2022.

The current technicalities are not looking good for another ATH any time within the next few months. As I said before, treat crypto investments as long-term, like years. Never invest in them thinking/hoping that you will get rich quick any time soon.

@rbscebu Agree, for BTC a new potential price levels above the $64K ATH using fib retracement tools. Historical, using the 2018 peak/troughs that predicted that potential $64K top.
Holding definitely proved to be a good approach if you brought in when prices were low and were able to sell when high :thumbup1: .

I knew of Bitcoin when it was really new, kicking myself now. I hold a small amount of one coin now. If I could there are several I like, sia, algorand, hedera, vechain, cardano, stellar, xrp, and a couple more. A physical wallet is best. Last year someone kept trying a port attack on my phone, I was told it was stopped with additional security by my carrier. They kept trying and got my number. Reset my email password to gain access to an old Coinbase account, bought 500 bucks in Bitcoin with it and tried to transfer it. I regained access and sold the BTC to send the money back to my account. My bank then stopped payment to coinbase even though they said it cleared , and after I got my money back. Coinbase then insisted I pay them for the BTC I didn't buy, and had sold to get my money back. They froze my account and ended up deleting the account. They are impossible to get ahold if you need to actually talk to someone. I recommend other exchanges now. Whole thing. Was a mess. Ended up changing my number to stop the problem. Several sites had data leaks so I think those had something to tip off the a hole doing it all. I deleted my accounts and will send my coins to a new account when I see it's close to selling time. Rant over.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I knew of Bitcoin when it was really new, kicking myself now. I hold a small amount of one coin now. If I could there are several I like, sia, algorand, hedera, vechain, cardano, stellar, xrp, and a couple more. A physical wallet is best. Last year someone kept trying a port attack on my phone, I was told it was stopped with additional security by my carrier. They kept trying and got my number. Reset my email password to gain access to an old Coinbase account, bought 500 bucks in Bitcoin with it and tried to transfer it. I regained access and sold the BTC to send the money back to my account. My bank then stopped payment to coinbase even though they said it cleared , and after I got my money back. Coinbase then insisted I pay them for the BTC I didn't buy, and had sold to get my money back. They froze my account and ended up deleting the account. They are impossible to get ahold if you need to actually talk to someone. I recommend other exchanges now. Whole thing. Was a mess. Ended up changing my number to stop the problem. Several sites had data leaks so I think those had something to tip off the a hole doing it all. I deleted my accounts and will send my coins to a new account when I see it's close to selling time. Rant over.
I hope that you learnt a few lessons from that. Like never give anyone else access to your bank account and never leave funds (fiat or crypto) on an exchange unless you are going to use them immediately.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Current monetary policies have those with disposable income seeking out riskier and riskier investments because they are virtually the only thing offering a return. For those of you old enough you will remember that in the 1980's you could get cd's from your bank north of 12% interest.

One observation with regard to the stock market
The boomers have reached 70.5 years old. We need to do things to prop up the stock market or simply the mandatory withdrawals will drag the price down. So if there is no other option for ROI, people will invest in the market.

Low interest rates help with that, plus they keep the U.S. from going broke maintaining its debt.

I think there is some money to be made, but one needs to be very cognizant that things can change and quickly and if you don't have enough road left in front of you...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Current monetary policies have those with disposable income seeking out riskier and riskier investments because they are virtually the only thing offering a return.

I think there is some money to be made, but one needs to be very cognizant that things can change and quickly and if you don't have enough road left in front of you...
The War Department and I are staring this "road length" square in the face.

I'm leaning towards putting the majority of our funds in 6 month CDs, as they are paying about as much as 2 year ones, and a much lesser amount in ETFs (if my dyslexic brain has that right?) and Gold and Silver.

We seem ripe for a korrection I think...

I have watched it for years, but never bought any Bitcoin or the altcoins. Partly because of not wanting to deal with a digital wallet and keeping it secure and backed up and the software to manage it over the years. Partly not wanting to speculate. But mainly worried that the US and/or other governments would start taking steps to effectively ban it. Not ban in the literal sense, but make it difficult for accredited institutions to transact in whatever crypto that has gained traction. A central government has the power to print money and transact in its own currency. Letting some other decentralized currency take over would greatly reduce its power. Bitcoin doesn't scale well enough to be a threat, but what about the upstarts? I don't know, but I don't see how they could coexist with the Federal Reverse.

All that said I considered buying a few shares of $COIN, it seems they are profiting off the transactions, though I believe they have more competition coming online that will reduce their margins soon.

should have :) wife and I have a design company turned down 2600 bit coin when it was new for a job :) hahahahah OH well who knew might have cashed in along the way were not in a position of long term back then

still did freaking well with our home on Maui when we sold after prices went up so blessed life anyway :)

I hope that you learnt a few lessons from that. Like never give anyone else access to your bank account and never leave funds (fiat or crypto) on an exchange unless you are going to use them immediately.
I never left fiat or crypto on there. I had used it to purchase crypto years ago. I originally had used it before debit or credit card was available. I should have deleted the bank info but had planned on purchasing more. I also found out if you ever use a check with a company, it gives them access to cashing it multiple times in separate ways. BofA did that for me after I laid a government bill. They cashed it once as a check and twice as a ach.

Top Bottom