What's new

Review - SlingTv Video Streaming App

Gents, after the head to head comparison thread I did between the 1st generation Fire Tv console and Roku3 streaming boxes, I wondered if it would be of interest to members for a review of some of the apps and channels? I will start this off with SlingTv and if it seems like folks want to read about it, I may review a few others.

Let me set this up by saying my family have been cord cutters for over four years. And after the initial adjustment will never go back to a true subscription model for video delivery. At least not a true bundled solution. We subscribe to Neftlix, Amazon Prime, and now for three months at least, Sling Tv. Sling Tv's base programming package(did I mention I really, REALLY don't like or want to go back to a bundled model?) is $20 per month. By subscribing any paying for three months up front, I was also offered the Roku3 for $49. I had been wanting to try a Roku for awhile and regular price for it is $99. The subscription and Roku together came just under $120 with taxes all in. So if you look at like this, I would have paid just over $108 for the Roku 3 with our local taxes added in. So for me, I can justify it by saying I am getting the Sling Tv service for three months for around 12 dollars, or around $4 per month for the trial. Either way I was out $120 but the Roku is mine to keep after the trial no matter if I quit.

Now to the service. I won't go into the complete channel listing. It is easier for you to go to Sling direct and check out their listings and prices. Suffice it to say the big draw for me was ESPN, ESPN2, AMC, History and A&E. The first two I wanted for men's college basketball. I am big Jayhawks fan and with their new telly contracts being what they are, the early season games are VERY hard for locals to watch. There is some deal with Time Warner(I think, don't quote me on that) that controls how the early season non-conference games are presented. They seem to be available on ESPN but usually either through Watch ESPN(ESPN3) or ESPNu. Neither of which are available with Sling's base package. One nice benefit is that the Sling subscription allows me to stream from Watch ESPN but there is a BIG caveat; so far all those early games, are blacked out on Watch ESPN! At least for me. I don't get or like this but live and learn.

I also found to my chagrin, that a number of the basic channels will not accept my Sling subscription as a legitimate way of viewing 'locked' or other programming they want a log in for. Really? ESPN, the mother of all over priced basic channels will easily accept my Sling sub but not History? At least I couldn't get it to accept it a few days ago. I don't like this little unadvertised caveat one bit.

The app itself. I have some issues with it and not the least of them is the fact it just goes crazy sometimes, crashes, and leaves you back at the Fire home screen. You have to reenter the app and sometimes when you go back to the show you were watching it will give you a 'resume' option but sometimes you have to start all over. Since Sling service does not allow fast forwarding, even on replay content, you can see how frustrating this can be. The Roku stalls a Lot while using it and I have taken to only watching on the Fire Tv.

The interface is simple and not too cluttered but has a couple of issues I don't care for either. When you first enter the app/channel you will see three rows or bars or whatever you wish to call them that take up about half or a bit more of the screen from the bottom up. The top bar is short in height and has settings/menu icon on the left and to the right is a list of things like "all, sports, entertainment" etc. Below that is a bar titled "On Now" and channels are listed left to right. It is about twice the height of the categories bar(that's what I call it) above it. You can scroll with your nav key to see each channel listing. It is easy to tell who the big investors are here. ESPN and ESPN 2 are fist and second in the list. As you scroll through the channels you will see a list of icons appear below the On Now bar with what is currently playing on the far left and upcoming programming to the right. This is called "Sceduled". However, that word does not appear unless you use your nav key to scroll down to the programming icons. And this is one of the features I don't like about the app.

When you scroll down the categories and On Now bars are pushed to the top of the screen and the Scheduled bar/list appears and if there is any streaming content available for on demand, a Available Now row/bar/list appears as well. The whole of the lists now takes up the entire screen and you can only see what you were watching behind them in a transparency view. You can still hear the audio you lose the visuals which could be a pain if you are intently watching a feature or closely following a sporting event. And you cannot simply scroll 'up' to get back to the half screen look. You have to press the Back button. Kind of picky but I didn't care for it.

Overall I am only mildly satisfied with the whole experience. I like it that I can buy into some channels without a full blown over priced subscription. On the other hand, the limited access afforded by this subscription to some of the on demand programming is a big disappointment. It is one of the main reasons I wanted it other than ESPN access which is limited as well. Don't get me wrong. If you want to cut the cable bill this could be a good alternative. I think the packaging arrangement is good for the price but this is really aimed at live time viewers. If you already subscribed to Neftlix and/or Amazon I would be very careful about adding this to your monthly bill. You need to vet the ESPN programming thoroughly before making the mistakes I did. As of now I can safely say I will not continue my subscription after the three months period is over.

I very much think this is the future model of video delivery services and have been hawking that line for several years now. People are tired of paying the cable and satellite model. I know a few people who were paying between $140-200 per month for video services. Think about that. Between 1500-2400 dollars per year! No wonder they cut the cable. I stopped when it hit near $90 per month and have never looked back. Just remember we are still in the toddler stage at this point and growing pains are sure come.

I've been wondering how this worked. It sounds like a great option on paper. we currently use Netflix and Hulu. For sports, I have my Dad's cable log in info and can stream using it. But I'm to the point where I rarely get to watch sports anyway, so it's not been an issue. I plan to get a whole house antennae to put in the attic soon, but other items are on the list first. Thanks for the review. I'm sure I'll be coming back to this later again.

Top Bottom