What's new

Anyone out there a seasoned crypto investor?

I just recently dove in to crypto currency as a financial interest and was curious how may of you out there also invest in this form of capital?

I, by no means, have not invested a whole lot of money (approximately $2,000) and did some research before investing that. My portfolio primarily consists of some of the larger, long standing coins/projects such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, Matic, ALDO, and Cardano)

It has been interesting to say the least so far. I don't have a very extensive history with investing and was introduced to crypto by a few friends that have been investing for awhile.

I would be interested in hearing from any folks out there that are investing/following crypto and know what your thoughts are on it, success stories, etc?

It’s a hard to comment without offering the caveat “this is not financial advice” . Lots of manipulation especially from Elon lately. I’m still really new at it myself. Might be a good time to get in cause everything is down lately, but 20-30% swings aren’t uncommon. I don’t have BTC yet but some in ETH, XRP, SHIB, and DOGE, which has a lot of rumours swirling around it. I’m in about the same as you right now, for fun mostly, but I’m in a chat group with friends who take it very seriously. I’m using Binance as my platform. You?

It’s a hard to comment without offering the caveat “this is not financial advice” . Lots of manipulation especially from Elon lately. I’m still really new at it myself. Might be a good time to get in cause everything is down lately, but 20-30% swings aren’t uncommon. I don’t have BTC yet but some in ETH, XRP, SHIB, and DOGE, which has a lot of rumours swirling around it. I’m in about the same as you right now, for fun mostly, but I’m in a chat group with friends who take it very seriously. I’m using Binance as my platform. You?
Thanks for the input and reaching out. I am currently using Coinbase, but have been looking in to other alternative, perhaps I need to check Binance out.

Yeah, some of it is a bit daunting, when you get to talking about staking and all of that, and then you look into that and it's all just so detailed and confusing, haha. The Matic I had bought into at .34 did peak at $2.48 I believe a few weeks back, which was a good small profit, but has since declined, as has everything. Yeah, and the swings are definitely real and not exaggerated. It is fun so far, and I plan to try to learn more about potential strategies as I go.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Before jumping in I spent a few months studying and better understanding the concept of decentralised "currency". I then invested in January 2013 using about 5% of my then net worth, not to get-rich-quick but because I liked the concept. That of course has now grown substantially over the past 8 years to where I consider myself comfortably well off. I still have other types of investments in my portfolio, but crypto has been by far my best long-term performer.

I think that the secrets to succeeding with crypto investing is to go long-term, like 5 to 10 years, and only put money into it that you know you will not (if ever) need for a long time.

I bought my BTC at about USD 100. Eight years later it is at about USD 35k to 40k. Not a bad little earner.

Starting in 2013 was pretty smart. Good for you. As far as your other comments, I totally agree. I’ve got a couple of coins to play with dips, but others for long term, including some long shot crap coins.
Before jumping in I spent a few months studying and better understanding the concept of decentralised "currency". I then invested in January 2013 using about 5% of my then net worth, not to get-rich-quick but because I liked the concept. That of course has now grown substantially over the past 8 years to where I consider myself comfortably well off. I still have other types of investments in my portfolio, but crypto has been by far my best long-term performer.

I think that the secrets to succeeding with crypto investing is to go long-term, like 5 to 10 years, and only put money into it that you know you will not (if ever) need for a long time.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. That is what I have came across mostly also, only invest what you can stand to lose and HODL, haha.

My plan is to just hold for a long while and see where it goes, and to continue investing as I can. It seems to be a highly volatile market where one week people can be really be happy with the return and then the next, the swing takes a high dip and they are back down and not happy, haha. But, that is where the challenge lies I think with researching and trying to seek out those long lasting projects that will be great investments over time.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
With regard to crypto volatility, my thoughts are that over the past 100 years or so, people have become conditioned to markets that are manipulated by exchanges/regulations to greatly reduce volatility.

Volatility is good and exciting. Whatever happen to the concept of people taking their own responsibility?

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I 1st read that as crypto investigator. I was quite disappointed when I read the posts.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Crypto almost makes me want to get a Twitter account, because of all the market manipulation from the big players
Probably best that you stay out of these markets. Yes, crypto is manipulated, not so much by big players but rather influencers. It's a psychological thing with participants in the market.

I prefer free and open markets that are not manipulated by exchanges/regulations to try and reduce volatility.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't mean to be facetious, but is anyone really a "seasoned" crypto investor? It's such a recent, developing, manipulated and small market, I'd be wary of anyone who claimed much in the way of expertise. Right now, it seems it's as much a matter of "right place, right time" than anything else.

I've been an active stock and option investor for nearby 30 years, and I don't touch crypto. It's very high risk stuff, more like gold prospecting than investing. I'd like to buy my own island as much as the next guy, but crypto kinda gets my Spidey sense tingling a bit too much.

I know Motley Fool started and then fairly quickly cancelled an advisory service focused on crypto currency. That told me a lot.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@TexLaw you are correct in every respect. Playing in the crypto sandpit is not for everyone, only for those who can take the heat.

There are many markets that I am not comfortable with (e.g., billion, fiat currencies, government bonds, etc.) because I don't have enough knowledge about them.

There is a lot to learn before you can become comfortable with the crypto market. Many do not properly learn about it before they jump in. Those are the ones who usually get burnt. That being said, one of the better ways to learn is to to get some - just a little - and play/learn with that.

I am not a crypto trader. Tried it a few times but mostly failed - like I did in the billion and fiat currency markets.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I remember back in the day a friend had a computer that was mining something like .000001 cent of Bitcoin. At the time he had 1.5 “coins”…or whatever. And it was worth around $1500. That was years ago and that was the only time I ever gave Bitcoin or other crypto stuff a thought.

Kinda wish I would have paid more attention now. Hindsight.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I was gonna use Coinbase but the transfer fees are something like $50. I know people that use it with confidence though.
Back in the day, I started using Mt Gox as my first exchange. Even then I knew enough to never leave crypto or fiat on an exchange, only what you need for your current transaction. No, I did not get burnt in the Mt Gox collapse for that very reason.

Exchange fees for me (as a hodler) are of only a minor concern. I mainly look at how easy they are to deal and transact with. Traders, on the other hand, need to mainly consider exchange fees.

I am not a trader.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
And it was worth around $1500.

I once received a scam blackmail letter that demanded 1 bitcoin or they would expose all my deepest, darkest secrets. Just for grins, I looked at bitcoin. It was about $1500 at that time.

Yeah, it would've been nice to have bought a few or 10 back then, but whatcha gonna do?

I didn't pay them anything, of course. I expect my deepest, darkest secrets pretty much already are on B&B.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I once received a scam blackmail letter that demanded 1 bitcoin or they would expose all my deepest, darkest secrets. Just for grins, I looked at bitcoin. It was about $1500 at that time.

Yeah, it would've been nice to have bought a few or 10 back then, but whatcha gonna do?

I didn't pay them anything, of course. I expect my deepest, darkest secrets pretty much already are on B&B.
It would have been even nicer if you had paid me the BTC 1 that I then demanded from you.

I get all my victims' deepest darkest secrets from B&B. How else do you think that I could be so successful?

Top Bottom