What's new

1930s Brit Aristocrat rhodium OC: Newbie impressions and set questions (#15 set, French set) (pics)

Shavemd, Steve, mawashi, mac, Andy, zygalski, BigJ, Andon -

Thanks for all your kind words, sincerely appreciated :thumbup1:

Happy weekend shaves, all!

Happy shaves indeed lol.

On a very... no, extremely... no make it life or death dead serious note, if you ever and I mean ever wanna sell your rockets pm ME FIRST!!!

View attachment 958123 Gentlemen, apologize upfront for this longwinded post - but there are pictures also!

This week I dove off the deep end and took delivery of my very first 1st generation rhodium British Aristocrats. I had been lurking in the shadows for the longest time as this is the most beautiful Gillette model ever built IMHO. But I never dared try one because I read that they could be both quite aggressive and very individual, some even said that they were rough shavers. But after discovering red/Israeli Personna blades (sharp but also smooth and more forgiving than Feathers) I took the chance.

So here I want to share my very first impressions after getting this model in hand and experiencing the first shaves. This for the hopeful amusement of other interested lurkers like myself but also with a few observations and questions for the seasoned and knowledgable members here when comparing the two sets: the #15 set and the French set. And to share a bit of eyecandy photos :)

A lot of confusion exists in general on specific history of the British Gillettes due to a lack of documented sources out there. But quite a few members in here have researched extensively and will be able to contribute.

View attachment 958124 View attachment 958125

The razor

These two specimens both appear to be late 1930 versions as they have wings on the center bar. And both appear to be rhodium plated - which as regards the French set is different than the early French set listed in mr-razor (which is silver plated). Don’t know the history of my particular specimen so I don’t know if it has been replated but honestly I don’t think so, has a few other age signs here and there - even if it is still 98% like new.

This razor model is simply stunning also when you get it in hand, really feels and looks high-end. It is sturdy, well balanced, and well built. Just feels solid like all the Brit Gillettes. The TTO mechanism on one of them is not quite as smooth as its 3rd gen or 4th gen successors; it does not fully have that wonderful ‘hydraulic’ feel. But I think this is just the age showing as the other razor is much more like the other Brits in this regard.

What strikes me most when comparing the two is that they to me look completely identical, apart from the handle engravings and patent numbers. The #15 razor though weighs in at 75 grams vs 73 grams for the French set razor, which to me is inexplicable unless the engravings on the French handle have taken away 2 grams (the #15 set razor has no engravings on the handle)? - Or unless the patent no 400.621 seen only on the French set means a different internal construction?

View attachment 958127 View attachment 958121 View attachment 958122

As for the cases I am blown away by the elegant interiors and by how Gillette really spent time and money on choosing these wonderful colorful textiles and printed texts/graphics.
View attachment 958129

A couple of other observations confuse me when I compare to the razors/sets to the ones found in mr-razor:

(1) My #15 razor as said has no engravings whatsever on the handle. All the Brit open comb Crats listed in mr-razor however have at least one engraving on their handle.

(2) My #15 case insides does not seem to correspond fully to any of the ones listed in mr-razor. I cannot find the same combo of color of the linen and the specific nologo Gillette text imprint.

Seems like mr-razor does not list all possible razors nor all yearly/local set combinations even if he is of course still unsurpassed compared to any other sources available.

My question remains: Are these technically the same razor but in two 99% identical guises, bar the engraving cosmetics? - And then what’s with the differing patent nos?

Any thoughts and knowledge highly appreciated - what do your similar razors and/or sets look like in comparison?

The insert note that came along with the French set:
View attachment 958128 View attachment 958126

The shave(s)

I have shaved with the #15 two times and the French set one time (this morning). So this is indeed first impressions. However, to me first impressions really last and I tend, for better or worse, to shrug off razors I don’t like on the initial shaves.

O.k. then, how were they? - Well, for obvious reasons I really wanted the shaves to be good ones. And lo and behold they were. This is a wonderfully smooth easy-to-use razor. And much milder than I expected, almost Tech-like mild even, with the Personna blade. And another interesting find is that it feels literally like a solid bar razor during the shave. You only sense the teeth very slightly; which to me is spot on perfect as I am really a solid bar man.

Despite its mild-manneredness the efficiency is high. This combination of traits to me actually is a shared denominator for all the 1930s-50s British Gillettes, and also what attracts me to them all.

The post-shave feel here is on par with the best Brits. And for what it’s worth these two specimens shave exactly the same. No discernible differences there.

Conclusion
This razor has jumped immediately into my top 3, still behind the Hybrid Tech and the 4th gen Aristocrat (#66/#70) but nudging itself just a little bit in front of the #77 RFB. Still, it lacks the nimbleness and agile elegance of the RFB so no doubt the latter will still be equally in play in my rotation.

But for looks, this rhodium 1st gen OC Aristocrat is unsurpassed in my book by any Gillette. I can imagine those 1930s designers just leaning back, looking at each other with a small knowledgable smile and say “Gentlemen, I think we have done a swell job on this one!”... And they were right.

Thanks for reading!

Great write up! I have all 4 generations and agree for looks #15 is the most beautiful, but for shaving my favourite is the #21 (2nd generation) smooth and efficient, followed by the #66 (4rth generation) unbelievably smooth, daily driver. Then comes #16, and then #15. Again this is just my experience with them. I love them all and they shave as good if not better than any modern razor

Way to go, Petey! These two are stunners for sure. Now I can see why you held that little selloff recently.

Thanks Jim :)! - Yup. Gotta thin out before adding new stuff. I have decided to keep my numbers around 50 razors, even though this means selling off razors I really like.

Happy shaves indeed lol.

On a very... no, extremely... no make it life or death dead serious note, if you ever and I mean ever wanna sell your rockets pm ME FIRST!!!

I will let you know for sure. Am thinking about a few other Rockets to go - even though they are wonderful razors. As I can only shave once a day I need to keep the wait list down, too many nice razors to use :lol1:

There was one listed on The Bay like 2-3 years ago, in Germany.
The seller wanted something like EUR 4000 or so IIRC. :yikes:

Yikes, Andon & Andy, and I thought that 2,000 USD for a Darwin Deluxe was a bit up there (need to pick up more courage + a lottery ticket)...

Great write up! I have all 4 generations and agree for looks #15 is the most beautiful, but for shaving my favourite is the #21 (2nd generation) smooth and efficient, followed by the #66 (4rth generation) unbelievably smooth, daily driver. Then comes #16, and then #15. Again this is just my experience with them. I love them all and they shave as good if not better than any modern razor

Thank you sir!

Well, honestly - after rethinking a bit - this would probably be my list of British Crats in terms of shaving goodness:

1. #66/70 with a Feather blade (agree totally with you on the smoothness as daily driver)
2. #16 with a Personna split second place with the #15 OC with a Personna

...And then I still need to try my #21/#15 sb. Just got it and cleaned it this morning. It sure also is a looker.

But none of these reach the Hybrid Tech IMHO. I just gotta say that every time (like the senator in the Roman Empire who alledgedly always ended each and every of his speaches with “I believe Carthage must be destroyed”). Hybrid spells smoothness goodness extraordinaire :001_tt1:

Last edited:
Peter, as nice as the razors are, great to hear you actually enjoyed shaving with the open combs. I only use the RFB #44 in open comb and even that only on two or more days growth. I have had opportunity to pick up an Aristocrat 15 OC or other nice OC's, but avoided for the same reason you mentioned. I think you and I probably have similar shaving preferences, mild to medium aggression and I definitely prefer the SB's. I wish I would have jumped on your recent sale of the hybrid tech, sounds like a perfect match for me as well. I really enjoy my Aristocrat 16 SB, so I might have to add to my Crat family.

I am curious how you compare the RFB 77 to the RFB 44?

Again, congrats and I look forward to your next BST sale! Ha!!

Peter, as nice as the razors are, great to hear you actually enjoyed shaving with the open combs. I only use the RFB #44 in open comb and even that only on two or more days growth. I have had opportunity to pick up an Aristocrat 15 OC or other nice OC's, but avoided for the same reason you mentioned. I think you and I probably have similar shaving preferences, mild to medium aggression and I definitely prefer the SB's. I wish I would have jumped on your recent sale of the hybrid tech, sounds like a perfect match for me as well. I really enjoy my Aristocrat 16 SB, so I might have to add to my Crat family.

I am curious how you compare the RFB 77 to the RFB 44?

Again, congrats and I look forward to your next BST sale! Ha!!

Hi Thomas, good to hear from you, sir!

I find the #77 2-piece about the same nice shave as the #44. However the feel is a wee different, I find, in that the #77 to me is slimmer and very nimble. It is a really nice razor and one of the most beautiful ones there is IMHO.

As for the open comb issue I find that the RFB’s shave milder than other OC’s I’ve tried, they feel quite safe to me. But this 15 OC to me shaves like a solid bar, very strange but it does.

Oh and yes, the Hybrid Tech is a rare beast and I truly advice you to jump at the next chance you get. I agree that we share the same preferences and the Hybrid (sorry!) would have been great for you. It went to another honorable member and I hear that he is very pleased with it.

I still have a few nice shavers that I think about selling. But sadly the rarities are gone.

PS. I wanted to change my avatar, inspired by your nice reference to Blazing Saddles (that movie is too funny!). So I chose this one from another of my favorite movies :thumbup1:

Isn't the Hybrid Tech the same as a RFB, but with a solid safety bar.

Yup, on a fat Tech-like handle and rhodium plated.

E2DD51E5-18F8-4AE8-AAC1-8CD479A8208A.jpeg

Yup, on a fat Tech-like handle and rhodium plated.

View attachment 958521
That is a sweet looking razor!
Hi Thomas, good to hear from you, sir!

I find the #77 2-piece about the same nice shave as the #44. However the feel is a wee different, I find, in that the #77 to me is slimmer and very nimble. It is a really nice razor and one of the most beautiful ones there is IMHO.

As for the open comb issue I find that the RFB’s shave milder than other OC’s I’ve tried, they feel quite safe to me. But this 15 OC to me shaves like a solid bar, very strange but it does.

Oh and yes, the Hybrid Tech is a rare beast and I truly advice you to jump at the next chance you get. I agree that we share the same preferences and the Hybrid (sorry!) would have been great for you. It went to another honorable member and I hear that he is very pleased with it.

I still have a few nice shavers that I think about selling. But sadly the rarities are gone.

PS. I wanted to change my avatar, inspired by your nice reference to Blazing Saddles (that movie is too funny!). So I chose this one from another of my favorite movies :thumbup1:

I saw a very nice cased, mint #77 and thought about pulling the trigger. That is why I asked about the comparison.

If I see the 15 OC or the hybrid tech, I will not hesitate to pounce next time!! The image of the hybrid you just posted is spectacular. Just a beautiful razor and you wonder why they never produced this in numbers...

I have been trying to put your avatar with the movie and it is driving me crazy. HELP!

Fantastic collection Peter! Thanks for your excellent posting and beautiful photos. Great razors all. Thanks!

Peter, I noticed today that the handle of my Hybrid Tech is taller than the handle on my pre-war Tech. Have you compared your handles with your other Techs?

Hi Dan, no I need to check that tonight, I never noticed this difference (never checked).

Fantastic collection Peter! Thanks for your excellent posting and beautiful photos. Great razors all. Thanks!

Thanks a lot Jake!

Congrats Peter!

I just saw this thread. Two stunning razors you have their my friend! If you remember the US vs Britain Shave Off I did a while back the Brit #15 OC won it as to me it was the most efficient with the 2nd Gen SB coming in 2nd which is basically the same razor as the OC but with a SB. The OC is very smooth and like you stated it is pleasantly efficient. When I got mine I sent mine out to Cap along with a few others and he cleaned and aligned them all and wow it made a big difference in the shave they gave. Your razors but I'd give that some thought as his prices were very reasonable to say the least. I just got a 1941 unusual looking Aristocrat from a member @Shavemd thats has a silver handle and a gold head. It was the Aristocrat that completed my collection. Love them all but the 15 OC is still very special to me. Try a hand stropped Feather in there. It will kick it up a couple notches in efficiency and still be very smooth.
Enjoy!

:a14:

Yes thanks I read that, Frank, your shave offs are always a part of my data gathering when considering new razors! - Great suggestion to send them to CAP, I just sometimes wish that I was in the US because I’d have to be without my dears for too long :) I am however in my head compiling a list of those that need to go to CAP at the right time, and some to Chris Evatt too. I love having projects with those guys.

And the list for CAP just got longer this morning when I tried my newly acquired 2nd gen solid bar Aristocrat for the first time. It cleaned up very nicely but the shave unfortunately was rough. And taking a closer look one of the bars (if not both) is bent inwards/downwards! - That is the first time this ever happened to me. I guess there is a first time for everything :(

Funny you mention the Feather for the 15 OC - when I found out that it was so mild I was thinking the same thing! - Never tried hand stropping though. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Congrats Peter!

I just saw this thread. Two stunning razors you have their my friend! If you remember the US vs Britain Shave Off I did a while back the Brit #15 OC won it as to me it was the most efficient with the 2nd Gen SB coming in 2nd which is basically the same razor as the OC but with a SB. The OC is very smooth and like you stated it is pleasantly efficient. When I got mine I sent mine out to Cap along with a few others and he cleaned and aligned them all and wow it made a big difference in the shave they gave. Your razors but I'd give that some thought as his prices were very reasonable to say the least. I just got a 1941 unusual looking Aristocrat from a member @Shavemd thats has a silver handle and a gold head. It was the Aristocrat that completed my collection. Love them all but the 15 OC is still very special to me. Try a hand stropped Feather in there. It will kick it up a couple notches in efficiency and still be very smooth.
Enjoy!

:a14:
Hi Frank,
Would you be kind enough to pass me caps contact. I have some razors that I would like to get tuned up. I have a #15 that everyone raves about, and to me it’s a very average shave, maybe needs a tuning. Thanks again, Jim

Ive had the privilege of using both versions of the #15 OC sets....the one with 400621, and the later one with 430030
etched on the baseplates respectively.

I vastly preferred the latter as it was smoother and just way more refined for me.

The #15 SB is in the same camp as the #21 SB "set" (in case Tonich is reading, hehe).

Altho the #21 is a touch smoother, but by very little.

The #15 SB is in the same camp as the #21 SB "set" (in case Tonich is reading, hehe).
I do not read but would like to say that's the exact same razor.
It goes by "2nd generation British Aristocrat"
#15 and #21 are set number that both contain the same "2nd generation British Aristocrat"

Top Bottom