What's new

Anyone know why these hones sold for so much?

Just wondering... so i know what to look for.
are they Thuries or Eschers?
went for over $200 on eBay
Thanks!

Attachments

• $hone1.jpg
    $hone1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 234
  • $hone2.jpg
    $hone2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 232
  • $hone3.jpg
    $hone3.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 233
that makes sense... there was no description on the auction.
i had my own suspicion, but not strong enough to risk that kinda cash...

Given the sizes and pics it's a high chance they are 2 thuri stones.
While $200 seems like a lot. That's only $100 each, given that 1"x5" thuri regularly go for $60-75, that makes a $100 7" stone a great deal.

Last edited:
Not many questions to ask.
As with most vintage stone sold on ebay, they are coming from people that can't answer the questions most razor guys are going to ask.
They gave good pics, which is better then most that are sold.
As with most vintage stones on ebay, you have to make a educated guess. For this auction I think it was pretty easy.
But as with anything on a auction site there is some amount of risk you take (otherwise people wouldn't pay $50-75 for a caked oil stone, hoping it a CF...lol).
The funny thing about this auction is I would almost guarantee they would have made more if they had post them separately.

Nice gamble MileMarker60, I see you've already put it back up at ebay for $275 lol, good luck.

The stone Brian has on eBay is not from that auction, guarantied. It was his go to stone forever before he found a suitable replacement.

Thanks, but I didn't buy them. I guess you didn't look very close at the ad...lol, .
Check the date on the auction the OP posted.
That being said, you are welcome to PM me if you want to question anything.

meh, these don't look so great. Everyone sees a dark grey stone and says "Thuringian" but it could easily be a dark Arkansas or India oilstone. And even a big Thuri like this shouldn't cost 2 bills, even with a label on it.

I can give you a list of things that shouldn't cost $200 + in the hone and razor category but that doesn't mean it's not worth it to some one.
We can only hope the person that picked them up is here and will report when they get them.

I didn't have the auction from the OP in my watchlist, so I didn't know when it ended. It did see your auction just before reading this thread and they look somewhat similar. I don't see a need to question anything :)

The light stone from the OP looks promising.

I think the auction ended 2-3 days ago. I had a bid on those stones as well. I thought they looked interesting. I wasn't anywhere the $200 range though. They didn't look that interesting. At least to me. I'm still in search for a CHEAP Thuri. Hoping to find one hidden in with a razor sale. I probably wouldn't know a good stone if someone threw it through my front window. My stone sense isn't that refined yet. :lol:

I was watching those as well and was going to bid appropriately for the dark blue one as I'd eat my hat if it wasn't a thuri. The green one I was fairly certain was one as well, but I didn't include it in my pricing for what I was going to bid. Given the size (7x1.5"), they are most likely both thuringians.

meh, these don't look so great. Everyone sees a dark grey stone and says "Thuringian" but it could easily be a dark Arkansas or India oilstone. And even a big Thuri like this shouldn't cost 2 bills, even with a label on it.

Agreed on both points. I have an Arkansas that I inherited that looked exactly like the dark stone until I lapped it...

Top Bottom