What's new

Anyone here prefer to just use their face to lather?

I also feel really sorry for all of you bowl latherers who never get to experience the Proraso menthol kick after a few minutes of intense face lathering [emoji3]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FIG-LX1 met Tapatalk

Im 50/50 face/bowl. Doesn't matter if I'm using a cream or a soap. I like that bowl lathering draws out the experience, an almost ritualistic experience. Its a little more luxurious too, painting warm lather on back and forth. Ive got a feeling its how the royals shave, or shaved. But I also like the wake up scrubbing of face lathering. I've kept a journal of every aspect of my daily shaves since I started wet shaving over seven years ago and, for me, it makes absolutely no difference in my results. But if I had to guess I'd say face lathering is significantly more common here in the colonies and if the bowl method is more in use anywhere, again I'd guess Europe.

A small update on my end.
For CREAM I have been using a cheap Stirling bowl.
I find that I have sensitive skin so I need to work up a good lather.

Screenshot_2020-09-15 Shaving Bowls.png

I was bowl lathering for some time.
But last month I am face lathering with great results. Cream or soap, I load the brush with product, wet my face, and start painting. Then I dip the tips into water, more painting, more water, more painting, then I splay the brush and make a lather.
But, part of this process is using a nice soft brush, synthetic or broken in boar are very good.
I saw someone do this last night on YouTube. Normally I’ll load up and splay, paint, wet, splay, paint, wet until I get the desired lather on my face.

I’ll have to try this method though. I’ve been prone to some minor brush burn if I have to work the lather in more than I’d like, so this I hope would clear that issue up.

My grandpa always hand lathered with the brush and then applied the lather with his hands. I just face lather with the brush because I mostly use Williams soap or Porasso tub. and the wet brush for a few strokes on the soap then straight to the face makes for a great lather.

My grandpa always hand lathered with the brush and then applied the lather with his hands. I just face lather with the brush because I mostly use Williams soap or Porasso tub. and the wet brush for a few strokes on the soap then straight to the face makes for a great lather.
So he made the lather on his hand with a brush and then applied it to his face with his hand?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FIG-LX1 met Tapatalk

Face lather here also. Like many use the mug to soak the brush. Depending on what I am using with Arko stick its a non issue, just rub, brush, and shave. I do use some Williams and a cream now and then. The mug is just to load the brush.

It depends on what I'm lathering. If I'm experimenting or using a soap for the first time I tend to bowl/hand lather so I can really dial in how much water the soap can take. If I'm using a cream, though, I always bowl lather. Though I prefer soaps.

However, If it's a regular daily shave with a soap I'm familiar with and therefore know how much water to leave in my brush I tend to face lather.

Last edited:
I’ve been face lathering almost exclusively since I fail at bowl lathering. I can never get the desired lather in a bowl but can do so on my face.

I have a "fine accoutrements" lather bowl I got back in 2015. I haven't used it in years and just been face lathering.
I have started to use it again to find I suck at bowl lathering now.
Tried palmolive cream today in the bowl. Lather looked good but I think I added too much water.
My rule of thumb before was cream in bowl, pick/soap on face.
Just getting back into experimenting again from just using one razor, one kind of blade, and one kind of soap mostly for the last 4 years. But I'm back in full swing now!!!
Hope my old soaps are still good haha
Checked the creams. They look fine. Soaps changed color a little and the soft ones are a bit harder now, but seem ok.
Most times I face lather and sad as it is to say I prefer my broken in omega 10065 boar. Used my fine silver badger today and although soft, something was missing.

Yes that is exactly what he did. Said it worked better than a bowl or just his face.
I think there's some science to that.
I think my issue with bowl lathering is you go by looks and not feel.
On face you can feel the consistency when rubbing your face. You can feel and drag when swiping/spreading to know it needs more work.
Stands to reason that hand would would very well too since you can feel the lather.
Back when I started I did alot of hand lathering with new soaps to dial them in before trying to shave with them.
The theory is the same for hand and face.
Bowl is good too if you can go by looks or are really familiar with the soap to know when it's ready.

Top Bottom