What's new

Anyone here enjoy Muhle shaving soap?

I personally bought Muhle Sandalwood shaving soap and use for a year or so.
The lather is comparable to some of the best soap on the market (namely Tabac, MWF, Proraso etc).
Also I find the scent of the Sandalwood is very pleasant and calming and never overpowering like Tabac.
I would highly recommend those who had yet to try this excellent shaving soap!
Also I would like to hear comments from those who uses this soap, how do you find it?
IMG_20210301_083959_edit_110474689709184.jpg

I had the same soap, the sandalwood was a great scent. I had gone through half of it when my dad needed new soap so gave him the rest of it. I want to buy more but I have so much soap as it it. Don’t know when I’ll ever work through it all haha.

edit : just remembered I had the sea buckthorn one as well. Another great scent.

Muhle’s Sea Buckthorn soap is one of my favorite scents. Absolutely love it, also in the cream form. I don’t find the performance to be top tier, but it’s plenty good. Haven’t tried the sandalwood, but hope to some day.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm such a loser. I had no idea that Muhle made soap! Aren't they famous for razors?

Muhle’s Sea Buckthorn soap is one of my favorite scents. Absolutely love it, also in the cream form. I don’t find the performance to be top tier, but it’s plenty good. Haven’t tried the sandalwood, but hope to some day.
What does the Sea Buckthorn smell like? It reads like it'd be a sweet citrus scent to me but I'm not sure. I'd probably just get Aloe Vera though anyway.

What does the Sea Buckthorn smell like? It reads like it'd be a sweet citrus scent to me but I'm not sure. I'd probably just get Aloe Vera though anyway.

It’s unique among scents I’ve experienced. Not citrusy and not sweet, but neither is it “dark” or stereotypically masculine. There is something “marine” about it but at the same time it’s clean and refreshing.

Ok, that’s probably not much help. But it’s in my top 3 scents.

I love the sea buckthorn soap!

It's been in my rotation on and off since 2010 but the current puck is firmly in my rotation and I enjoy it a lot!

It’s unique among scents I’ve experienced. Not citrusy and not sweet, but neither is it “dark” or stereotypically masculine. There is something “marine” about it but at the same time it’s clean and refreshing.

Ok, that’s probably not much help. But it’s in my top 3 scents.
I might pick some up when I finish what I've got. Thanks for the clarification.

Just spitballing here, but does Speick make the soaps and creams for Muhle? When I compared the cream ingredients, they were pretty darned similar. Just wondering. I doubt a razor company would gear up to become a soap facility when they can just hire somebody else locally with a proven track record of quality and success to do it cheaply and reliably.

When I used a large sample of Sea Buckthorn I found it at the very minimum in slickness and cushion... but I did enjoy the soap and always got great shaves with it.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I chose Mühle sea buckthorn for my FFFMM soap. IMO, best scent ever, it's easy to make great lather (peaks can look like marshmallow cream or merangue depending on how much water), and the performance is good enough. Used a Gillette London Bridge #15 today, and I achieved a great shave today, close and zero irritation, and alum felt like a popsicle. I'm pretty sure the lather had something to do with the overall results. In terms of performance, compared to my other 60 soaps, I would say its above average.

Last edited:
Does the sandalwood scent smell like sandalwood or is it just Muhle's interpretation of the sandalwood scent. Is the sandalwood scent mild, medium or strong?

Does the sandalwood scent smell like sandalwood or is it just Muhle's interpretation of the sandalwood scent. Is the sandalwood scent mild, medium or strong?
It does not really smell like sandalwood, but it smell warmth and nice.
Its somewhere between mild to medium.
I actually quite like its smell and performace.

Never tryed those. But i have seen packs of 3 different muhle soaps in one package. At the moment i do have 5 soaps... Maybi can try when some wears off. it looks cheap in packs of 3

I bought 3 Muhle (aloe, sandalwood, buckthorn) in April after failing my GRUME. I haven't shaved with them, but the scents are mile and nice and i have shaved with the sandalwood cream and i liked the performance as well as the scent very much. The sea buckthorn smells like a strange fruit, difficult to describe. But all scents are mild enough so they don't disturb. When the QUADSAB is over, i intend to order some more.

Eben Stone

Staff member
IMO, Mühle sea buckthorn is the best scent of anything ever crafted by man. The performance is average. It would be even better if the scent was stronger. I'd prefer a punch in the face scent.

Anyone know how it compares to Proraso Red? Love the scent and it lasts all day!

The Muhle sandalwood is very different than Proraso Red. Proraso red scent i don't really like. It's...ok. The Muhle Sandalwood that i used in cream, i REALLY liked. So much that i was surprised. Because i am not a big fan of sandalwood scents.

To me, scent wise for Sandalwoods, it is: Muhle>Lea (mild scent)>TOBS>Proraso.

The Muhle sandalwood is very different than Proraso Red. Proraso red scent i don't really like. It's...ok. The Muhle Sandalwood that i used in cream, i REALLY liked. So much that i was surprised. Because i am not a big fan of sandalwood scents.

To me, scent wise for Sandalwoods, it is: Muhle>Lea>TOBS>Proraso.

The Proraso has real sandalwood, so was wondering if the same scent style. Thanks for the info since I still would love to try the Muhle. Assuming the Muhle is a sandalwood interpretation, you have me looking forward to trying!

Top Bottom