What's new

Anyone ever do a comparison Jnat to Arkansas?

I haven’t compared an Ark to a Jnat but I have recently compared a well done jnat edge to razors finished on .1u (14k) lapping film and couldn’t feel the difference. Blasphemy I know but true.

do you mean .1 pasted balsa? 14K is 1u. i have only used film as low as.3u. nonethless i still feel film has inorganic/mechanical feel
in the sense of testing i too have blasphemed and used diamond pasted balsa after jnat. although it rarely needs it.

In my ark vs jnat testing (any testing) i found i will get an freakishly amazing edge. I count these as outliers/chance, and until i can repeat that edge does not fall into judgment (scientific method-ish)

i can confirm in my recent jnat vs ark testing. jnat is faster

I'm going to try some balsa with diamond just to see what it's like. The last edge I shaved with that was finished this way really burned my face, but someone else honed it.

what i do to return comfort to these lasers id go back to slurried stone for a few light laps. see post above what alx says

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
do you mean .1 pasted balsa? 14K is 1u. i have only used film as low as.3u. nonethless i still feel film has inorganic/mechanical feel
in the sense of testing i too have blasphemed and used diamond pasted balsa after jnat. although it rarely needs it.

In my ark vs jnat testing (any testing) i found i will get an freakishly amazing edge. I count these as outliers/chance, and until i can repeat that edge does not fall into judgment (scientific method-ish)

i can confirm in my recent jnat vs ark testing. jnat is faster

what i do to return comfort to these lasers id go back to slurried stone for a few light laps. see post above what alx says
Yes I erred in writing .1um rather than 1um as being 14k. Thanks for pointing that out. My recent experience with 1um was a bit surprising when I couldn’t tell the difference in the 1um film and jnat. I’ve used a balsa progression to .1um for over a year and recently tried the 1u edge prior to going to the balsa and liked it. I’ll have to try it on different razors as time goes by. Interesting experience though. I’ve used film for two years and find it easier and more accurate than synthetic stones but I’ve not used naturals. Honing isn’t a hobby for me, just a necessity so the less hassle and greater repeatability the better.

I never tried a Ark stone... which is better for finish a razor TransArk or Black Surgical Ark?
What is the approximate grit of these stones?

I never tried a Ark stone... which is better for finish a razor TransArk or Black Surgical Ark?
What is the approximate grit of these stones?

Depends on how you use it and how stone is finished. There is a learning curve with arks.I have a trans white stone that is lapped to 400 grit SiC with diamond slurry and pressure it acts like a 8k, same stone on water only with light pressure 10-12k. With thicker lube and lighter pressure 14K. My blue black ark the way it’s finished 10-14K+ and is very slow, I have done side by side comparison my blue black/ surgical bests a 14k synth. arks don’t really follow a specific grit. Either one of those will make a suitable finisher. IMHO. The trans stone is more versatile stone with more feedback. i like for high end finishing the blue/black.

What part of country are you from. I’d let you test drive my arks if you are close by. Or maybe some near you would offer the same.

Depends on how you use it and how stone is finished. There is a learning curve with arks.I have a trans white stone that is lapped to 400 grit SiC with diamond slurry and pressure it acts like a 8k, same stone on water only with light pressure 10-12k. With thicker lube and lighter pressure 14K. My blue black ark the way it’s finished 10-14K+ and is very slow, I have done side by side comparison my blue black/ surgical bests a 14k synth. arks don’t really follow a specific grit. Either one of those will make a suitable finisher. IMHO. The trans stone is more versatile stone with more feedback. i like for high end finishing the blue/black.

What part of country are you from. I’d let you test drive my arks if you are close by. Or maybe some near you would offer the same.

Thanks Biglo13, sorry but I´m from Brazil.

About the consistency of these stones, what can you tell me?
Generally are they consistent or have many grain/grit variations between them?

Tks guys.

They are natural stones quarried from multiple locations where each quarry had multiple types for better than a century. Tons of variation. Density of the stone is one of the more precise ways to classify Arkansas stones but not all to the puzzle as finish and other things also impact performance.

Really, anytime you ask about consistency or grit about natural stones....the answer is no. They are natural and naturally inconsistent. Same with “grit”. Always the truth of it.

Tks guys.
Stick with the stones of fairly consistent color in black or translucent. Beware of some of the bargain blacks being sold. Surface prep is everything with the really hard arks and they are all very capable.

Top Bottom