What's new

Any vintage watch guys here, I need schooled?

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I bought a used Seiko 5 from India years ago that was fine until I dropped it. Super low price from that auction house by the 'Bay. Less than $20. So getting it fixed just seemed kinda dumb. I miss wearing it though. I think it was about as old as I am. Now I've been looking at battery operated quartz watches, because I'm cheap, and I'd like more than one!
I just bought an eco drive brycen. I like the fact use it more than I can my razor.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I am not familiar with Spinnaker or their Hull chronograph. I think you would enjoy this watch, but keep in mind it is a bit larger than vintage watches, where you might prefer the look of a 37mm dress watch, or at least something that is 40mm or less. Even 37mm is large when compared to a true vintage watch.

Chronographs need to be a bit larger to accommodate the sub-dials, and a 42mm chrono is a common size. But you may not want to wear a 15mm thick watch of this size every day, it is very difficult to know without trying.
Agreed. 15mm thick makes this a big, honkin' watch. Best take a ruler and measure out 15mm and see if you'd be comfortable with that much watch sticking out from your wrist.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I think I'm going to play it safe. If I ever happen into one, I may explore that avenue. Maybe stumble on one, take it to a jeweler for assessment. Who knows! You guys rock.

Have you guys seen any of the Spinnaker watches? I really like the squared off look but don't know if it works for me with such a big face.
View attachment 1235904
WindUp sells nice watches, but at full mark-up. That Spinnaker is the kind of watch you might best look for used, say on Time Zone's sales corner or some such place.

Last edited:

KeenDogg

WindUp sells nice watches, but at full mark-up. That Spinnaker is the kind of watch you might best look for used, say on Time Zone's sales corner or some such place.
Thank you. Will do just that I appreciate all your help. My wife started a retail job to supplement her income and every once in a while, they give deep discounts. The price was too good to pass up.

I THINK i have an old Hamilton around here that was my wife's Grandpa's watch. It could be something else. I wonder what it would cost to clean and get it running? It would make a cool gift for my son someday.

I know a guy that does really good work who is inexpensive, but he's on a hiatus right now because he moved to another state and his shop is in moving boxes somewhere. Beyond him, there are a couple of other folks that do a lot of Hamiltons, but they're more expensive. Post photos when you find a watch and it'll be easier to opine.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I know a guy that does really good work who is inexpensive, but he's on a hiatus right now because he moved to another state and his shop is in moving boxes somewhere. Beyond him, there are a couple of other folks that do a lot of Hamiltons, but they're more expensive. Post photos when you find a watch and it'll be easier to opine.
Thank you for the help my friend! I was amazed by the stuff that the grandkids didn't want when he passed on towards his heavenly reward.

But I've always been a sucker for personal items. Money is nice, but I've got one of his old Eveready brushes that needs a reknot that means more to me than any money he had.

Watch Ramblings

In the sub 300 range for someone who also is digging the vintage vibe, I concur that Orient far exceeds the intersection of quality and value. The Bambino line would be a great place to start at even less than 200.00.

I also concur that older hand wounds and autos tend to be much less accurate that any quartz and many more modern autos. IMHO, a watch only has to be as accurate so as to not make me late for an appointment in a given day. That is a very relaxed accuracy standard relative to many here.

You can find a ton of sub 150 vintage on ebay with sellers who have thousands of transaction and 99%+ ratings and a 14-30 day return policy. Seiko/Bulova/Gruen/Hamilton etc. Should you go that route, I have had best luck with hand wounds as there is less inside of them to go wrong and seiko automatics because though not super accurate, they are accurate enough despite decades of use with no servicing.

Absent a sentimental attachment, I would avoid fashion watch brands, particularly automatic ones. i.e. Fossil, Armani, Calvin Klein, etc. as there tends to be much better watches available for less money.

A vintage inspired Swiss made AUTOMATIC Chrono at 319.99-Tissot at Jomashop.

A vintage inspired Orient, in house automatic w SAPPHIRE Crystal at 270

Let us what you do and why you do it.

Saw and Antiques Roadshow the other night where a guy had purchased a ROLEX Oyster Daytona, and had kept everything....... He said he didn't want to dive with the watch after he had bought it, and purchased others to do the job, put the watch away. It was built in 1971, he purchased brand new or NOS, through the base exchange, took him four months to receive it. Original purchase receipt $345, dude told him it was worth $550-750,000 USD!!!! He about had a heart attack !!!! Changed his life .....

FarmerTan

Saw and Antiques Roadshow the other night where a guy had purchased a ROLEX Oyster Daytona, and had kept everything....... He said he didn't want to dive with the watch after he had bought it, and purchased others to do the job, put the watch away. It was built in 1971, he purchased brand new or NOS, through the base exchange, took him four months to receive it. Original purchase receipt $345, dude told him it was worth $550-750,000 USD!!!! He about had a heart attack !!!! Changed his life .....
This is an example of the PERFECT watch to sell. No (obvious) emotional attachment....I hope it did change his life, especially if he's a veteran. Because Lord knows those folks don't make near enough money. I'm gonna try and look this up on the interwebs. I ain't cried all day, why not now?

The Waltham watches are great entry level vintage watches. They sell for dirt cheap prices and the older ones with Swiss movements keep great time. I have 4 of these which I take on trips- if something happens to them or if they get lost or stolen, I won't be too bent out of shape.

Attachments

• IMG_1691.jpg
    IMG_1691.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 12

KeenDogg

Fan of vintage seiko here. However I won’t buy from internet sites. Believe it or not there are fakes or frankenwatches out there. That means I’ve paid more but obtained a piece that was gone through and serviced from a known person.
I think if I get one, it will be from a watch dealer. I'm not liking the idea of gambling with the net.

I agree with Borderboss. Vintage Hamilton. Their reliability and plentiful, with a myriad of different styles. Large watch’s typically have sharp protruding crowns that ultimately prove uncomfortable to wear. My submariner gets very little wrist time. As opposed to several vintage Hamilton’s with expansion bands. Enjoy!

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Jumping in with my own question...

My daily watch is beat, and I’m thinking of replacing it with another mechanical watch. I’d like to keep it below $300, and perhaps closer to $200. Considering a new or gently field watch (e.g., used Hamilton Khaki 38 automatic or MWC), or a vintage auto or hand-wound. Noticing on the bay that 1960s or earlier Oris, or 1950s or earlier Omegas seem to be somewhat reasonable. Guessing it’s because those brands weren’t as high end back then, or they’re beyond hope, or fakes. Also noticing unrefurbished “Swiss made“ mechanicals can go very cheap. Any advice?

KeenDogg

My daily watch is beat, and I’m thinking of replacing it with another mechanical watch. I’d like to keep it below $300, and perhaps closer to $200. Considering a new or gently field watch (e.g., used Hamilton Khaki 38 automatic or MWC), or a vintage auto or hand-wound. Noticing on the bay that 1960s or earlier Oris, or 1950s or earlier Omegas seem to be somewhat reasonable. Guessing it’s because those brands weren’t as high end back then, or they’re beyond hope, or fakes. Also noticing unrefurbished “Swiss made“ mechanicals can go very cheap. Any advice?
Be careful on ebay. That's about all I know. Many watches need a proper service. I've found hand wound and automatic watches will need service every 3 to 5 years which seems to be 100 to 200 bucks. Vintage watches are not always fixable and sometimes parts aren't available. I decided to stay modern and grabbed this. I really enjoy it and all I have to do is sit it in the sun once a month. 6 year warranty as well.
20210319_182249.jpg

FarmerTan

Be careful on ebay. That's about all I know. Many watches need a proper service. I've found hand wound and automatic watches will need service every 3 to 5 years which seems to be 100 to 200 bucks. Vintage watches are not always fixable and sometimes parts aren't available. I decided to stay modern and grabbed this. I really enjoy it and all I have to do is sit it in the sun once a month. 6 year warranty as well.View attachment 1238960
That's a sharp watch.

And now you can also buy a used Miata with the money you saved!

(Just practicing for what I will be saying to my wife.....)

If you're looking to get a new mechanical/automatic daily beater that costs $200-$300, look into Japanese watches. You should be able to find Orient and Seikos within that price range (or even less).

Top Bottom