What's new

Any vintage watch guys here, I need schooled?

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I have one of the Steinhart Big Flieger with the Unitas manual movement. Great watch per se but unfortunately in a sudden bought of bad taste back then I went with a PVD rose gold case. The color was quite nice but not durable at all. Now it lives in the dark corner of my watch case...
Yeah, that's why I avoid plated cases, with the exception of gold vermeil or plaque. I've often been tempted to buy something in PVD black, but I envision the stuff wearing off at the corners, so I don't.

Does your Big Flieger have the big onion crown? Those are neat watches, and Unitas movements are pretty much bulletproof. Maybe you can have the remaining gold plating buffed off and polished.

I have several antique pocket watches in so-called "20-year" gold-filled cases; those show no signs of wear or brassing at all, which to me is remarkable.

More remarkably, I have several cheap, gold-finished deployant buckles that despite frequent use, show no wear at all. In fact, the deploys that have fared the worst have come from Rios in Germany, while the ones showing no wear come from the No-Name Buckle Works in China. Go figure.

Yeah, that's why I avoid plated cases, with the exception of gold vermeil or plaque. I've often been tempted to buy something in PVD black, but I envision the stuff wearing off at the corners, so I don't.

Does your Big Flieger have the big onion crown? Those are neat watches, and Unitas movements are pretty much bulletproof. Maybe you can have the remaining gold plating buffed off and polished.

I have several antique pocket watches in so-called "20-year" gold-filled cases; those show no signs of wear or brassing at all, which to me is remarkable.

More remarkably, I have several cheap, gold-finished deployant buckles that despite frequent use, show no wear at all. In fact, the deploys that have fared the worst have come from Rios in Germany, while the ones showing no wear come from the No-Name Buckle Works in China. Go figure.
Here she is
F5930013-5EA3-4C7E-A4DD-4A97275BC007.jpeg

Lots of good advice here. Glancing through the watch your wearing thread in Haberdashery would give a range of styles and accessories. Personally I like mechanicals in stainless steel in the 40-42 mm range. That said, I have larger/smaller and different materials. Like razors there’s endless possibilities!

My experience buying used 2-20 YO on the bona fide watch forums has generally been good. Some less common older models are hard (impossible) to find service parts for now (even the ubiquitous Rolex!). Definitely worth doing some research before pulling the trigger. I have very limited experience with really old (50+) watches. The few I have had were disappointing and needed expensive work and still didn’t keep time well.

Want to get an old winder or automatic, but I'm not sure how to go about picking a good one or any of it, really. Thanks in advance.
I do not have enough expertise to recommend anything specific, but I believe watches that are older than say 40-50 years or so need to be approached with some caution. It is like buying a classic car, do you have the ability to evaluate their condition or do you have a watch repair guy that you can trust to evaluate before you purchase. With really old watches or particular brands it can be hard to find parts or a skilled person to repair and maintain them.

When it comes to a used watch, especially anything that is close to vintage and/or expensive the adage is: You are buying the seller more than you are buying the watch.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Thanks everyone. I am learning a lot already and have just decided to search "watches" on various platforms and see what I like! It seems I should go for stuff that fits my style and if it is vintage, that's a bonus. As for my price range I'd be comfortable at around 300 dollars or less. I think I prefer something around 36-42mm depending on the watch. I'm 6'1, 200lbs and have a average size wrist. I really like this one,
Screenshot_20210311-121732_eBay.jpg
But also this newer one
Screenshot_20210311-215244_Facebook.jpg

I'm finding that it's hard to gauge something without trying it on as well. I guess I like stuff that catches my eye.

I'm just not sure where to buy, what to buy, who to trust. I know a great deal about razors after five years, but this is all new to me. I guess I'm trying to make a purchase I can be happy about.

Thanks everyone. I am learning a lot already and have just decided to search "watches" on various platforms and see what I like! It seems I should go for stuff that fits my style and if it is vintage, that's a bonus. As for my price range I'd be comfortable at around 300 dollars or less. I think I prefer something around 36-42mm depending on the watch. I'm 6'1, 200lbs and have a average size wrist. I really like this one,
View attachment 1235443
But also this newer one
View attachment 1235444

I'm finding that it's hard to gauge something without trying it on as well. I guess I like stuff that catches my eye.

I'm just not sure where to buy, what to buy, who to trust. I know a great deal about razors after five years, but this is all new to me. I guess I'm trying to make a purchase I can be happy about.
When you but a watch, you're paying as much for peace of mind as you are for the watch. If the watch is not as described when you receive it, you want to be able to return or exchange it.

View attachment 1235443
But also this newer one
View attachment 1235444

I can't say anything about the Fossil but your first picture is from a later? 70ies watch.

The 17 Jewels imprint on the face is an indication for a lever pin movement. An econmical approach at that time to hold the quartz revolution at bay. Lever pins are great as long as they are not worn out as a revision/repair is most of the time pricey and in no relation to the overall value of the watch - you do it only if there is some emotional value attached.

You might have a look at Orient Watches, especially the Bambino range for a classic look. Orient is the independent sister company from Seiko, both belonging to Epson Corporation.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I love seeing other people wear vintage and have a deep appreciation for them but prefer modern because I’ve not had much luck with vintage as I’m a bit of a stickler for accuracy. You’ll pay up for the very best or average for the aesthetically pleasing but substantially inaccurate ones.

I love seeing other people wear vintage and have a deep appreciation for them but prefer modern because I’ve not had much luck with vintage as I’m a bit of a stickler for accuracy. You’ll pay up for the very best or average for the aesthetically pleasing but substantially inaccurate ones.
That’s what I mean with workhorses, the 70ies Datejust is as accurate as the 00 Explorer.

My interest lies in Hamilton wristwatches because I find them pretty cool looking and prices are pretty affordable. Most of mine date from the 1920s to the 1950s. They just have that old school look, especially the ones from the 1920s and 1930s, as they scream Art Deco to me.

In order below (only ones I have quick access to photos):
1. Late 1930s Dixon in white gold filled.
2. Late 1920s Cushion in white gold filled with "exploding numerals" dial.
3. 1941 Sentinel in yellow gold filled. Only made for two years and the only early Hamilton that had a dial with all 12 Roman numerals.
4. Late 1920s Barrel in yellow gold filled with engraved case (some were plain).

Hamilton Dixon close.jpgHamilton Cushion.jpgSentinel.jpg1.jpg

KeenDogg

I think I'm going to play it safe. If I ever happen into one, I may explore that avenue. Maybe stumble on one, take it to a jeweler for assessment. Who knows! You guys rock.

Have you guys seen any of the Spinnaker watches? I really like the squared off look but don't know if it works for me with such a big face.
Screenshot_20210312-130403_Chrome.jpg

I am not familiar with Spinnaker or their Hull chronograph. I think you would enjoy this watch, but keep in mind it is a bit larger than vintage watches, where you might prefer the look of a 37mm dress watch, or at least something that is 40mm or less. Even 37mm is large when compared to a true vintage watch.

Chronographs need to be a bit larger to accommodate the sub-dials, and a 42mm chrono is a common size. But you may not want to wear a 15mm thick watch of this size every day, it is very difficult to know without trying.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think I'm going to play it safe. If I ever happen into one, I may explore that avenue. Maybe stumble on one, take it to a jeweler for assessment. Who knows! You guys rock.

Have you guys seen any of the Spinnaker watches? I really like the squared off look but don't know if it works for me with such a big face.
View attachment 1235904
Man. I just looked at this watch on Amazon. I ain't rich, but that looks like a watch that a guy with more money than I got would wear. Very impressive. Plus, I'm too old to impress anyone but me and my vanity at this point in my life. But I'm thinking I might try to convince the War Department that I deserve this watch as a birthday gift.

FarmerTan

My interest lies in Hamilton wristwatches because I find them pretty cool looking and prices are pretty affordable. Most of mine date from the 1920s to the 1950s. They just have that old school look, especially the ones from the 1920s and 1930s, as they scream Art Deco to me.

In order below (only ones I have quick access to photos):
1. Late 1930s Dixon in white gold filled.
2. Late 1920s Cushion in white gold filled with "exploding numerals" dial.
3. 1941 Sentinel in yellow gold filled. Only made for two years and the only early Hamilton that had a dial with all 12 Roman numerals.
4. Late 1920s Barrel in yellow gold filled with engraved case (some were plain).

View attachment 1235727View attachment 1235736View attachment 1235731View attachment 1235734
I THINK i have an old Hamilton around here that was my wife's Grandpa's watch. It could be something else. I wonder what it would cost to clean and get it running? It would make a cool gift for my son someday.

FarmerTan

View attachment 1235443
But also this newer one
View attachment 1235444

I bought a used Seiko 5 from India years ago that was fine until I dropped it. Super low price from that auction house by the 'Bay. Less than $20. So getting it fixed just seemed kinda dumb. I miss wearing it though. I think it was about as old as I am. Now I've been looking at battery operated quartz watches, because I'm cheap, and I'd like more than one!

KeenDogg

I THINK i have an old Hamilton around here that was my wife's Grandpa's watch. It could be something else. I wonder what it would cost to clean and get it running? It would make a cool gift for my son someday.
I guess it depends on what it needs. I'm guessing 100 to 200 bucks. Not entirely sure.

Top Bottom