What's new

Any Sailors on the B&B?

Among other things I am a fairly salty old bay rat,so I was just thinking are there any sailors on the board ? homeport? and what ya sailin'?

Me I'm on Long Island but alas I'm between boats at the moment- except for that 18' catboat in my dreams!

I'm in NYC, and no where near a boat I own, unfortunately. Back in VA mountains (lousy sailing, really, but whatcha gonna do?) I have a little Tanzer 16. Really easy sailing but quite quick little job. Anyway, while I have not traditionally had the money to keep her really in tip-shape, she sails like blazes.

Been years, though, since I have actually sailed. I have very fond memories also of the little sunfish we got when I was a kid. Slow, but stable as anything. Was fun to sail circles around when we got the Tanzer.... (no really, literally).

moses said:
I'm in NYC, and no where near a boat I own, unfortunately. Back in VA mountains (lousy sailing, really, but whatcha gonna do?) I have a little Tanzer 16. Really easy sailing but quite quick little job. Anyway, while I have not traditionally had the money to keep her really in tip-shape, she sails like blazes.

Been years, though, since I have actually sailed. I have very fond memories also of the little sunfish we got when I was a kid. Slow, but stable as anything. Was fun to sail circles around when we got the Tanzer.... (no really, literally).

There are a couple of sailboat liveries within 40 minuets of The city. I would be glad to point them out if you like.
The Tanzer is very similar to the lightning class I believe -a sweet little craft very salty. is she in the barn?

I would indeed be interested in knowing where those sailboat liveries might be, assuming they are accessible without a car....

And yes, she is in the barn. :frown:

Goosemeplease said:
Among other things I am a fairly salty old bay rat,so I was just thinking are there any sailors on the board ? homeport? and what ya sailin'?

Me I'm on Long Island but alas I'm between boats at the moment- except for that 18' catboat in my dreams!

Please tell me when barges are being towed or pushed for that matter you stay out of the way.......cant deny the fact I do like to play chicken with you guys on occasion:rolleyes:

I was big into sailing when I was younger, but still get out when I can. Our family owns a Hampton and a 12' cat boat that I raced over laborday weekend in Westport, MA.

I was. Had a Freedom 33 which I loved. Then I crewed on a Bermuda race and back. Stepped off the boat and swore I'd never sail again(all the electronics quit, the Gulf stream was a disaster, and the rain didn't stop)

I broke my promise 2 years ago to help a friend move his boat down the intercoastal waterway from Annapolis to Miami. After about one week I had vivid dreams about throwing the sob overboard. That was the last time:001_wub: .

So this sailor walks into a bar with a wooden steering wheel in his pants and the bartender asks him "what the hell is with the steering wheel in the pants?" The sailor replies, "Yarrrrr...it be driving me nuts!"

Sorry...couldn't resist! :lol1:

I know this thread is from WAYYYYYYY BACK! But it's a good question. I'm surprised we don't see more sailing conversation. Where are our sailors? Or are they all off shore away from the beckon call of the forum?

For the amount I would get out, it doesn't make sense to own one. The upkeep on the sails and registration (plus trailer registration) would be more fun than the times on the water... I lie. There is nothing like being out on a sailboat. No noise from the engine- just cruising as fast as can by the power of the breeze.

Tempted by that 14ft Hobicat on the drive to work...

I play around on a Hobie 14 and a Hobie 16 on the Chesapeake Bay down near the mouth of the Rapp. River.

They are fun little boats, it's kinda fun when you overtake a big motor yacht that can't get out of it's own way.

Jessy to answer your question most sailing related discussion occurs on a couple other boards SA for one.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
My home is a 1976 built Cal 2-27, now with electric propulsion and an actual shower stall down below where the forward half of the port side berth and the galley table used to be. Been a liveaboard for 4 years now. messed about in boats since I was a little snotnose.

Around the time this thread was started I was lake sailing on a somewhat regular basis. I purchased a 1967 O'Day Daysailer on a whim because I wanted to learn how to sail. I had a blast for a few years but haven't sailed much lately due to the fact that I now have a wife and two young children and everything else that comes along with being a family man. However, I plan to get back into it and teach my boys how to sail when they're a little older.

Top Bottom