What's new

Any Precision AR Shooters ?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
As the title says, does anyone do true precision shooting with an AR platform rifle, either AR15 or AR10. I'm not talking about just an accurate AR that shoots an inch at 100 yds., I mean true precision shooting, whether for organized competitive shooting or just for your own satisfaction. While I'm not excluding .223/5.56 from my inquiry, I'm most interested in 6mm or above calibers used in shooting beyond 100 yds. I can see myself building a 6.5 Grendel and / or a 6.5 CM on an AR 10. But I'm wondering about the true precision capability of either of those.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Indeed. But to build a top end AR and not achieve true precision, would hurt more. An AR I can build, a precision bolt gun, I have to pay someone else to build. I want to know what can be achieved on the AR platform.

I got on the 6.5 Grendel bandwagon about ten years ago. My first was an Alexander Arms Overwatch upper, freefloated 24" barrel. I had it upgraded to I think a Shilen barrel. On a good day I could get groups around 1/2" at 100 yards. Since then I have added those ten years, now 74 and have some eye problems so those groups are few and far between. I got so interested in the cartridge, and the concept of a gas piston vs the direct impingment operating system I built a couple of other 6.5 Grendels, Another big bench/varmint type and a smaller mid length carbine. The big one is about the same on accuracy as the Overwatch
Both have the big Magpul fully adjustable buttstock that is rather heavy. My mid length has an Aimpoint red dot scope and is not as accurate, probably due to the sight, but i can get 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inch groups with it. My last was a little CZ 527 American in 6.5 Grendel. My two big AR15's are more accurate,and are more accurate than my 40 years old Remington 700 Varmint Special in .223.

Back when I started the only brass available was Lapua and it was very expensive and hard to find so I got a couple of thousand 7.62x39 cases by IMI ( Israeli Military Industries) and resized it to 6.5 to be fireformed. In this caliber it's rather easy, just drop load about 10%, load and shoot. They create enough pressure to cycle the AR 15 action, and are generally quite accurate for fun shooting, just need to adjust sights for a much lower POI.

The nice thing about the 6.5 Grendel is the mild recoil, even in the little lightweight CZ bolt gun.

I have never been on a range longer than 250 so cannot comment, but everything I read says it is good for rather extreme distances, with the right bullet.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I got on the 6.5 Grendel bandwagon about ten years ago. My first was an Alexander Arms Overwatch upper, freefloated 24" barrel. I had it upgraded to I think a Shilen barrel. On a good day I could get groups around 1/2" at 100 yards. Since then I have added those ten years, now 74 and have some eye problems so those groups are few and far between. I got so interested in the cartridge, and the concept of a gas piston vs the direct impingment operating system I built a couple of other 6.5 Grendels, Another big bench/varmint type and a smaller mid length carbine. The big one is about the same on accuracy as the Overwatch
Both have the big Magpul fully adjustable buttstock that is rather heavy. My mid length has an Aimpoint red dot scope and is not as accurate, probably due to the sight, but i can get 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inch groups with it. My last was a little CZ 527 American in 6.5 Grendel. My two big AR15's are more accurate,and are more accurate than my 40 years old Remington 700 Varmint Special in .223.

Back when I started the only brass available was Lapua and it was very expensive and hard to find so I got a couple of thousand 7.62x39 cases by IMI ( Israeli Military Industries) and resized it to 6.5 to be fireformed. In this caliber it's rather easy, just drop load about 10%, load and shoot. They create enough pressure to cycle the AR 15 action, and are generally quite accurate for fun shooting, just need to adjust sights for a much lower POI.

The nice thing about the 6.5 Grendel is the mild recoil, even in the little lightweight CZ bolt gun.

I have never been on a range longer than 250 so cannot comment, but everything I read says it is good for rather extreme distances, with the right bullet.

So what was your take on gas piston versus direct impingement?

Indeed. But to build a top end AR and not achieve true precision, would hurt more. An AR I can build, a precision bolt gun, I have to pay someone else to build. I want to know what can be achieved on the AR platform.
Oh I’m not so sure really. I bet you (or anyone) could build a beautifully accurate bolt if you put your mind & money into it. You probably just haven’t looked into building a bolt as much as you’ve looked into the AR. That said, finding info and parts on the LEGO gun (AR), is way more readily available.

Either way, as you know, if you’re really looking for the kind of accuracy that’ll let you hit a fly, consistently, out at a bazillion yards, you’re going to have to have some quality reloading materials. That would see me kind of leaning towards the .243. Maybe the Creedmoor. Depends on how far you want to go I guess.

it’ll be fun to hear how you progress! Good luck.

Are you referring to building a bolt gun or an AR?

AR, not bolt gun... Frank uses Kreiger barrel blanks and cuts the extension to the bolt. I am not aware of a company who builds a better bench rest precision AR.

Outside of that, I’m a huge Knights fan... but those AR’s are for a very different purpose!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
AR, not bolt gun... Frank uses Kreiger barrel blanks and cuts the extension to the bolt. I am not aware of a company who builds a better bench rest precision AR.

Outside of that, I’m a huge Knights fan... but those AR’s are for a very different purpose!
Thanks, but I'm looking to build my own.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
My MSR-10 in 6.5 Creed is averaging sub .4 MOA with the stock barrel when I do my part with Hornady 140gr ELD-M. I can only imagine what a Bartlein would do with all the requite black magic. Cradock Precision is who Bartlien recommends for AR work. I've chatted with the owner and he is a super nice fellow! The Grendel was on my radar but I figured I would just go CM and have the extra range. Per StrelokPro the above round goes trans-sonic at about 1300 yards depending on conditions. The Grendel at 900.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My MSR-10 in 6.5 Creed is averaging sub .4 MOA with the stock barrel when I do my part with Hornady 140gr ELD-M. I can only imagine what a Bartlein would do with all the requite black magic. Cradock Precision is who Bartlien recommends for AR work. I've chatted with the owner and he is a super nice fellow! The Grendel was on my radar but I figured I would just go CM and have the extra range. Per StrelokPro the above round goes trans-sonic at about 1300 yards depending on conditions. The Grendel at 900.

That's pretty (insert bad word here) impressive!

Top Bottom