What's new

Any news on Target/Proraso?

I've been away for about a week or so.

I'm aware of all the posts about Target dropping Proraso and I'm also aware of some of the "Jack" products that have sprouted up at some Targets.

But has anyone noticed if Target has officially replaced the former Proraso space w/anything new? And has anyone heard anything new about the new line of Proraso made products (translated from Italiain, "On the Razors Edge").

I'm actually looking forward to this new Proraso stuff. If it's as good as the old, they'll be getting my business.

thanks fellas

~Joshua

I've been wanting to try the Proraso, too, and was at Target in Waterford, Connecticut a couple of days ago. None to be found. I'll be going by a Bath & Body Works tonight, so I'll probably stop and get the Bigelow repackaged version of Proraso's shave cream (I don't think they have the other products). I know I can get it at a gazillion places online, but if that's all I want, the shipping can almost double the cost of the order, plus I like to be able to walk into an actual store and buy something. I'll check in some of the Italian markets in Middletown next time I'm up that way.

I've already got the old stuff and it works great. My first step into wetshaving and I'm sad to see it go. Without a cheap, local, been-around-the-block-a-few times cream like Proraso, the only alternative for new shavers will be Toms Mint and KMF. Both are great mind you, but knowing you're shaving with a cream that's been around long enough for your grandfather or great grandfather to have used it as well....well that's saying something IMO.

That being said, I AM interested in trying this new line of stuff that Proraso is cooking up. Since based on the packaging it looks to be more of a mainstream geared product (very Anthony Logistics IMO), yet still made by Proraso, I'm anxious to try it.

~Joshua

Is there a site to see the new line? I haven't heard of it, and Proraso's website is "under construction."

Found this picture through this thread on SMF.

Hope that helps.

It looks like a shaving gel, so I doubt it could be used w/a brush. But the rest of the line I might like.

~Joshua

I've been wanting to try the Proraso, too, and was at Target in Waterford, Connecticut a couple of days ago. None to be found. I'll be going by a Bath & Body Works tonight, so I'll probably stop and get the Bigelow repackaged version of Proraso's shave cream (I don't think they have the other products). I know I can get it at a gazillion places online, but if that's all I want, the shipping can almost double the cost of the order, plus I like to be able to walk into an actual store and buy something. I'll check in some of the Italian markets in Middletown next time I'm up that way.

As far as I know, the shave cream is the only repackaged Proraso product under the C.O. Bigelow name. They do however offer a huge selection of witch hazel toners, aftershaves, bath soaps, shower gels, shampoos, and colognes at the Bath and Bodyworks at my local mall.

As far as I know, the shave cream is the only repackaged Proraso product under the C.O. Bigelow name. They do however offer a huge selection of witch hazel toners, aftershaves, bath soaps, shower gels, shampoos, and colognes at the Bath and Bodyworks at my local mall.

The Bath and Bodyworks I visited yesterday had all that you mentioned plus a selection of Bay Rum aftershave, cologne, and balm. I thought it smelled pretty good.

I got the Bigelow repackage (even says it's made by Proraso right on the box). As for the new line, I guess I'll keep an eye on Giovanni's website. (I'm going to need to order some pen parts from him, too; odd to be ordering fountain pen supplies and shaving supplies from the same source, but so be it.)

Yeah, I got the Bigelow repackage too- I hope they keep their traditional cream available- the Euro/metro/cosmo line doesn't look impressive to me. Actually, it looks like they're trying to go with that line exactly where most of of ran away screaming from!

V

VR6ofpain

I noticed the section still has the Proraso label on the shelves. I hope they do not completely drop the brand, just as I get into DE shaving. :frown:

I must have read an older thread that mentioned Proraso at Target. I went to two Targets today looking for it and came up empty. Bought the Every Man Jack cream but it's not very good.

Anyone have any recommendations for a similar product that can be bought at a brick and mortar store?

I don't know about similar to Proraso, but the best stuff I've found locally is Toms of Maine Mint, followed by Kiss My Face Creams.

The Toms Mint doesn't have menthol/eucalyptus (at least I don't think it does) but it does have a similar cooling effect due to the mint.

~Joshua

V

VR6ofpain

I don't know about similar to Proraso, but the best stuff I've found locally is Toms of Maine Mint, followed by Kiss My Face Creams.

The Toms Mint doesn't have menthol/eucalyptus (at least I don't think it does) but it does have a similar cooling effect due to the mint.

~Joshua

Really, I may have to try that when I get close to finishing my C.O. Bigelow/Proraso cream. Tom's of Maine is availible almost everywhere it seems. Though I know Longs Drugs had the shaving cream.

I've been away for about a week or so.

I'm aware of all the posts about Target dropping Proraso and I'm also aware of some of the "Jack" products that have sprouted up at some Targets.

But has anyone noticed if Target has officially replaced the former Proraso space w/anything new? And has anyone heard anything new about the new line of Proraso made products (translated from Italiain, "On the Razors Edge").

I'm actually looking forward to this new Proraso stuff. If it's as good as the old, they'll be getting my business.

thanks fellas

~Joshua

I have seen the new Proraso line available online, but the shave creme is a brushless and I don't like brushless creams. The aftershave balm may be good, though. Has anyone tried the new stuff, yet? I have seen it at barbeiria italiana.

I have seen the new Proraso line available online, but the shave creme is a brushless and I don't like brushless creams. The aftershave balm may be good, though. Has anyone tried the new stuff, yet? I have seen it at barbeiria italiana.

I haven't seen this stuff for sale anywhere yet.

I'm looking on the razorandbrush.com website. Am I looking at the wrong site?

The only Proraso I see in stock on the soaps & creams page is the regular old-style proraso, not this new line.

Nevermind, found it on the "other" page of BI.

It's a shame it's only available as a kit, as I'm really not interested in the brushless stuff either. But the rest of the products I might try out.

I've already got the old stuff and it works great. My first step into wetshaving and I'm sad to see it go. Without a cheap, local, been-around-the-block-a-few times cream like Proraso, the only alternative for new shavers will be Toms Mint and KMF. Both are great mind you, but knowing you're shaving with a cream that's been around long enough for your grandfather or great grandfather to have used it as well....well that's saying something IMO.

That being said, I AM interested in trying this new line of stuff that Proraso is cooking up. Since based on the packaging it looks to be more of a mainstream geared product (very Anthony Logistics IMO), yet still made by Proraso, I'm anxious to try it.

~Joshua

Has anybody seen any confirmation beyond the original quote by Giovanni in http://members.boardhost.com/razorandbrush/msg/1175949802.html ?
A webserch on "Proraso Sul filo del rasoio" does not lead to suppliers outside of Italy.

If my rudimentary Italian is correct, the picture shown in the above link is for a €4.90 "kit" of 25ml tubes of shaving gel, aftershave cream, aftershave fluid and facial cleaner (see also: http://www.coma.it/SchedeIta/SM_1573.htm) which is hardly a replacement for 150ml tubes and more appropriate for hotel rooms.

The Italian Proraso website http://www.proraso.com/ doesn't appear to have changed in months.
The red Proraso Wheat Germ Cream is still gone, except as foam in the can. So supplies in the market (Online, Bigelow has currently a $5 special for this cream) must be what's left.

Creams seem like the best place to get started... soaps are for me, disappointing- they require more skill, experience, and are less forgiving of bad shaving technique. For a novice you want something that works fast with results, and doesn't require mail-ordering. Now that Target has dropped Proraso, Tom's of Maine and Kiss my Face are about the only widely available tube shaving creams left, except for whatever B&Body Works is carrying.

Top Bottom