What's new

Any method to the madness?

You wouldn’t be able to tell the amount of crazy by my “Den” lol. But if you were to look into my eyes then, then you’d see.
4BFA953A-77C3-40DE-9F28-1F65AE6A8613.jpeg

I wish I had a method to my madness. It started with trying to find a great razor and I alternated between Feather and Kai shavettes and DE razors. After purchasing a handful of both styles I bought a Karve CB and that cured my RAD.

Now I'm suffering from soap aquisition disorder and there is no end in sight. For some reason I keep buying samples (along with a few standard size containers) and I probably have enough to last for years. I think i just get bored with scents easily and want to try different stuff.

It's not all bad though, at least the samples aren't all that expensive. I think the SAD will probably end soon because I usually tend to be the type of person who has a few favorites of something rather than trying to collect all of something. Ideally I would like to end up with a scent or two for each season.

I used to travel a lot for work and had the opportunity to visit many times to Pasteurs in NYC, Merz Apocatherapy locations in Chicago, the main stores in London and many more across Europe and Turkey. This allowed me to touch and smell a lot of product. These are some pictures taken a year or so ago showing a lot of the things I've acquired over the years.

IMG_0060 (1).JPG
IMG_0061 (1).JPG
IMG_0062 (1).JPG
IMG_0063 (1).JPG
IMG_0064 (1).JPG
IMG_0065 (1).JPG
IMG_0069 (1).JPG
IMG_0068 (1).JPG
IMG_0071 (1).JPG
IMG_0073 (1).JPG

Last edited:
I used to travel a lot for work and had the opportunity to visit many times to Pasteurs in NYC, Merz Apocatherapy locations in Chicago, the main stores in London and many more across Europe and Turkey. This allowed me to touch and smell a lot of product. These are some pictures taken a year or so ago showing a lot of the things I've acquired over the years.

View attachment 1079018View attachment 1079019View attachment 1079020View attachment 1079021View attachment 1079022View attachment 1079023View attachment 1079027View attachment 1079029View attachment 1079030View attachment 1079031
Wow that is awesome! Thanks for making me jealous haha

Like others, I started with a plan to save money. As I looked at this site and others, I heard about different razors that were recommended for various reasons. I bought my first vintage razor at an antique store while I was killing time waiting for my wife. It is a 1951 Black tip Superspeed that turned out to be my birth razor. When I googled it, I got a bunch of background information on how they went to the plastic due to shortages of brass sue to the Korean War. That led to trying more Superspeeds and that led to trying Techs and that led to open combs etc, etc. I moved into single edge and tried a lot of variations of those. I have over 40 now that I keep in a box in the closet and take out for use. There are none that I regret. I have been more moderate with brushes and soaps but still have multiples. I am not spending money that I can't afford and I look forward to the shave every morning.

Or any madness to the method? :letterk1:

I associate myself with history. Consequently I love vintage razors.

This week I'm shaving with a 1907 Gem Lather Catcher razor. There's something special about using a shaving tool that is older than virtually any living person! BTW the shaves have been outstanding. The secret (at least for me): I shave with the "cap" 100% flat against my face.

View attachment 1079018View attachment 1079019View attachment 1079020View attachment 1079021View attachment 1079022View attachment 1079023View attachment 1079027View attachment 1079029View attachment 1079030View attachment 1079031

That, sir, is a very nice shaving den. I wish my wife would let me use the dining room table for my immense collection, but that's not in the cards...

I was forced into it by Gillette. To start at the beginning- as a teenager I started shaving with one of my father's cast away DE razors, some Wilkinson blades, a C40 brush and Old Spice soap. Nobody showed me anything and it was too hard on my tender skin. So I switched to Noxema skin cream and a Trac II. Man I hated that thing. It clogged all the time and gave me ingrown hairs. Over the years I devolved into electric shaves during the week with a disposable SE razor and canned shave cream on Sundays for a treat. When my daughter moved out of the house I lost access to her stash of BIC SE disposable razors and went to buy a razor at the grocery store. I was so offended by the price of a Fusion five blade cartridge that it made me remember watching my grandfather shave with his SR (he was a barber). That is how I started straight razor shaving. My shave den keeps me from buying too much stuff. If I can't fit it in there I can't buy it.

Top Bottom