What's new

Any idea what this is?

Any idea what this SE is and if it's a decent shave/ buy for $30?

proxy.php

Cheers

That is a Rolls Razor.
There is a lot of info on them here, but basically it's a "straight on a stick".
The case contains a honing side and a stropping side and a handle mechanism for maintaining the blade.
Everything looks intact in the photo, but to get a good shave from one you will need to make sure that the blade itself is in good condition and then rehone that blade outside the box.
Then the Rolls gives a fantastic shave.

In UK they normally sell for between £5 and £10 as they are plentiful (though often the honing stone is cracked).
NOS replacement blades are also plentiful here.

There is a big entry in the shavewiki about the Rolls.
I occasionally shave with one myself - stropping is noisy, it looks fearsome and (with a properly honed blade) delivers a great result.

That is a Rolls Razor.
There is a lot of info on them here, but basically it's a "straight on a stick".
The case contains a honing side and a stropping side and a handle mechanism for maintaining the blade.
Everything looks intact in the photo, but to get a good shave from one you will need to make sure that the blade itself is in good condition and then rehone that blade outside the box.
Then the Rolls gives a fantastic shave.

In UK they normally sell for between £5 and £10 as they are plentiful (though often the honing stone is cracked).
NOS replacement blades are also plentiful here.

There is a big entry in the shavewiki about the Rolls.
I occasionally shave with one myself - stropping is noisy, it looks fearsome and (with a properly honed blade) delivers a great result.
what he said. honing outside the box is the key to the rolls.

Top Bottom