What's new

Any good balms (no Nivea or U.S artisan)

Recommendations for a good balm. Neither sticky, nor oily rather moisturizing, menthol and alcohol are welcome.

Next one I go for will be Zingari man. Looks to have some good components but can’t comment on performance as I have not tried it yet.

Shavist Formula #1
1/2 Men's Lubricating Post Shave Balm (or Dermasil Original Lotion) + 1/4 Gillette Cool Wave Aftershave + 1/4 menthol crystals dissolved in vodka
It only takes a few drops on your fingertip to massage into your face & neck.

Recommendations for a good balm. Neither sticky, nor oily rather moisturizing, menthol and alcohol are welcome.

Afta is fairly old, dating to the 1960's. It might be harder to find if you are Europe. It's getting hard to find in the US. It's not my favorite, but I find it acceptable when combined with moisturizer, and it represents an intermediate between older alcohol splashes and modern alcohol-free balms. It has some alcohol but not much burn unless you have a rough shave.

There's a more upscale version of this sort of balm called Saxon that is made by a small American pharmaceutical company. Their Woodspice scent is very pleasant.

I like Stirling's Executive Man balm, though I wish it were a similar consistency to Nivea Sensitive post shave balm. I tend to switch off between the two. I also have a bottle of Duke Cannon for whenever I want my face to feel like someone slapped me.

Afta is fairly old, dating to the 1960's. It might be harder to find if you are Europe. It's getting hard to find in the US. It's not my favorite, but I find it acceptable when combined with moisturizer, and it represents an intermediate between older alcohol splashes and modern alcohol-free balms. It has some alcohol but not much burn unless you have a rough shave.

There's a more upscale version of this sort of balm called Saxon that is made by a small American pharmaceutical company. Their Woodspice scent is very pleasant.
Afta is pretty decent, absorbs quickly, doesn't feel waxy or sticky on the skin, smells good, and sells for less than three bucks. Also, Afta is stocked in most Walmarts, and many grocery stores-as easy to find as Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva, at least out here in no man's land Nebraska. Worth a shot. Also, Gillette has a product similar to Afta, scented like Cool Wave deodorant, more modern than Afta, again less than three dollars, also easy to find. Try these two. I learned a long time ago you don't need to spend a lot of money to get a decent balm. Expensive stuff like Art of Shaving and some skin foods aren't worth ten times the money, they just aren't.

I second the Duke Cannon Ice Cold Balm. I think I've used everything under the sun, and this one, by far, is my favorite. Not greasy at all, and cools for quite a while. It has a nice scent also that isn't overpowering, so you can use as is, or put something on top. My neck thanks me for it every morning.

The secret to balms is to apply them on damp skin and use them sparingly. I like the goopy kind with cetyl/cetearyl alcohol better than the heavy buttery oily kinds that don't spread as well.

Top Bottom