What's new

Any Gesha fans?

I managed to score one of 8 bags roasted locally here at Heart Roasters. They offered a few bags on three separate days and I managed to score one of the final 8 bags last Thursday. I had to find out what time it would be going on sale and keep refreshing my browser to get it, but I did. I wish I could have just pre-ordered it at the shop, but that's the way the did it and I got some so whatever. Anyway, after ordering it online, they roast it that evening and I went to pick it up the next morning. While I was waiting I was able to try their preparation of it with an aeropress. It's incredibly fragrant. I can smell a cup of it from across the room. It smells like meyer lemon and honey. It's flavor profile is like a sweet darjeeling tea, apricots, flowers, with a strong lingering lemony-juicy-sweet finish. I had a Gesha once before at Blue Bottle in San Francisco, but it's hard to compare the two. That one was the original Ethiopian strain of the varietal, and it was a natural process which Heart is adamantly opposed to (that's a topic for another time) and it was served with a halogen-powered syphon pot. It was seriously the greatest coffee I have ever had. The aeropress I had a couple days ago was pretty good, maybe top 10 but I think I can do better here at home. I figure it's just now going to really start opening up, flavor wise, now that it is a couple days off roast. Too bad I've only got 8 oz. to play around with…

I've come to realize I am not a big "fruit" fan. I will enjoy the occasional cup, but when I roast, I have to drink it for a week and for me that is too much. I buy the African beans to mix with Indonesian ones, but I would never do that with a Gesha as it's a bit on the pricy side of things (for me) and a bit more rarer then a Yemen or Ethiopian.

Do you find the flavor profile diminishing from first to last brew? I'm thinking about a week for a retail bag of roasted coffee? I find my roasts of African beans loose the fruit bomb profile within a few days and become pretty drinkable (for me!) after that.

-jim

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the Gesha, I have not tried it yet. I started to buy a few pounds of green beans, but since I had never tried it I didn't want to pay the premium price for it. I need to try it at some coffee shop first.

It is interesting how quickly a coffee's profile will change, especially the aromatics. I roasted some Ethiopian this weekend and drank some after 12 hours rest, and when I ground it my first reaction was this coffee stinks, similar to some stinky cheese. I drank it again today, roughly 2.5 days after roasting and it was like a different coffee, I enjoyed it a lot (brewing method was different too, which also makes a difference).

I've come to realize I am not a big "fruit" fan. I will enjoy the occasional cup, but when I roast, I have to drink it for a week and for me that is too much. I buy the African beans to mix with Indonesian ones, but I would never do that with a Gesha as it's a bit on the pricy side of things (for me) and a bit more rarer then a Yemen or Ethiopian.

Do you find the flavor profile diminishing from first to last brew? I'm thinking about a week for a retail bag of roasted coffee? I find my roasts of African beans loose the fruit bomb profile within a few days and become pretty drinkable (for me!) after that.

-jim
I don't find this to be overly fruity at all. It's exceptionally well balanced. If anything, I'd say the big flavors for me are a honeyed darjeeling, meyer lemon preserves, (yes, fruit but not what I think of as fruity coffee fruit) and light floral flavors. What really amazes me is that the tea and flower flavors would be so easy to get lost, but they really are up front and well defined without coming across as being acerbic. They say it's peachy, and I guess when I'm looking to taste peaches I can find/imagine it, but it's not in any way dominant. They really did a spectacular job roasting. As for the last brew, I can't say. I've still got a couple left. Having picked this up fresh from roast, I didn't even start getting into it for three days. I'm trying to make it last/share it with my wife. I find it is just getting better, and has only opened up more.

I enjoy Gesha but some lots of it I've sampled were much better than others. Verve usually gets it in around the holidays and I buy a cup or two. When it's at its best the sweetness and the aromatics are incredible.

Nice score!

I'm about to order a couple kilos of green India Mullayanagiri Geisha to roast at home :drool:

I mainly drink espresso, so the slightly darker roast might lose a lot of the fruitiness? I'll try a reasonably light roast for espresso and if it doesn't work out, I'll roast the rest for pourover and SWMBO can drink it at work.

Top Bottom