What's new

Any flashlight geeks here?

Probably because they are rather new on the scene. Frankly I'm waiting to read a few more positives about them before making a purchase. I need to replace my Fenix L2D which has left me a bit gun shy on the Fenix line. Currently want to add another 2xAA light to back up my Nitecore, which I bought after the first failure of the L2D. I also am looking to add another 1xAA and another 1xCR123.

Well I havent read a bad thing about them yet. After playing with the 1xAA a little more I have some pros and cons.

Pros:
-Small Form Factor
-Sturdy Pocket Clip
-Good output and runtimes
-Feels solid and not cheap
-Tactical UI is great (cant chime in about the normal one)
-Comes with spare o-rings, finger-grip, holster, lanyard and 1xAA.

Cons:
-Tough forward-clickie button

So I have not experienced too many issues with the light. I just wish the clickie wasnt so tough. Its pretty solid and im sure the people at candlepowerforums and flashlight-forums have some more info.

solloron, there's bad to be read just have to determine if what is bad for someone else is bad for me. :001_smile What power source are you using? Have you experienced any of the heat issues? The Quark model that really draws my attention are the new MiNi series. The bar is set pretty high for that format as all comers have to compare themselves with my old trustworth built-like-a-tank ARC AA.

Thought Surefire had a lifetime guarantee???

I couldn't get to talk to their customer support despite multiple attempts. Both phone and email. I can't send it in without a return authorization, so I'm stuck with a worthless piece of metal. Suffice it to say that I'm not impressed with the famed surefire reliability or customer service.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I couldn't get to talk to their customer support despite multiple attempts. Both phone and email. I can't send it in without a return authorization, so I'm stuck with a worthless piece of metal. Suffice it to say that I'm not impressed with the famed surefire reliability or customer service.

That's shameful on their behalf.

That's shameful on their behalf.
Agreed. :thumbdown Perhaps a certified or registered letter would get their attention. That would make me just mad enough to make an effort to make someone's life a bit miserable.

I'm not quite that mad regarding the situation with my Fenix, but I have dropped Fenix from my list of lights that I would ever turn to when I need light and need it now. I'm a bit miffed at 47s response to my situation, but I've given them the benefit of the doubt that they are relying on Fenix for warranty repair.

I spend far more on flashlights than shaving equipment. I am on an ever constant search for the perfect EDC light. I browse candlepowerforums about as much as here.

solloron, there's bad to be read just have to determine if what is bad for someone else is bad for me. :001_smile What power source are you using? Have you experienced any of the heat issues? The Quark model that really draws my attention are the new MiNi series. The bar is set pretty high for that format as all comers have to compare themselves with my old trustworth built-like-a-tank ARC AA.

I hear you about the bad. As for power source just basic akaline right now, but will be messing around with NiMH and Li-Ion sources soon. I'm not really sure what heat issues you are referring to. I have left it on for over an hour on max and it did not seem to be hot enough to cause any damage. It got warm but thats about it. And yea the Mini series looks cool. I hope it does well. And yea ive played with the Arc before. Love that thing, dont no why i havent gotten one yet.

I'm guilty of flashlights also. I carry a few of them along with my knives.
I like to have back-ups to my back-ups. :)
I'm sure it has been said some where in this thread, but people will carry an umbrella when there is a 50% chance of rain, well there is a 100% guarantee it will be dark,
I carry a Ra Clicky 170(123a battery), Fenix P1(actually that is a spare battery carrier for my Ra), Zebralight 501(AA battery) and 2 Photon lights(one white, one turquoise-- ones on my keychain, one is attached to a knife).
I just ordered a 4Sevens mini-Quark from Kevin at www.advancedoutfitters.com . It is suppose to be smaller then my Fenix, it will become my new spare battery carrier for my Ra Clicky.

Jason

I'm guilty of flashlights also. I carry a few of them along with my knives.
I like to have back-ups to my back-ups. :)
I'm sure it has been said some where in this thread, but people will carry an umbrella when there is a 50% chance of rain, well there is a 100% guarantee it will be dark,
I carry a Ra Clicky 170(123a battery), Fenix P1(actually that is a spare battery carrier for my Ra), Zebralight 501(AA battery) and 2 Photon lights(one white, one turquoise-- ones on my keychain, one is attached to a knife).
I just ordered a 4Sevens mini-Quark from Kevin at www.advancedoutfitters.com . It is suppose to be smaller then my Fenix, it will become my new spare battery carrier for my Ra Clicky.

Jason
The Ra EDC Executive is one of the lights on my short list of considerations for the single CR123 format light. Curious though about carry options, I don't find mention of a lanyard hole on this light. I also note the absence of a clip. So how do you carry/deploy your light?

Edit: I followed your link, but found no mention of the Quark (47s) branded lights.

V

VR6ofpain

These are the best money can buy right now:
http://www.fenixlight.com/

This one has ridiculous output (630 lumens) from 8 AA batteries:
proxy.php

Got one for Christmas and I am literally blown away by the output.

V

VR6ofpain

I probably could have lived without seeing that.
Maybe, but you can't live without seeing the light output. It is really just ridiculous. Bright does not properly describe it. Think hand torch. Oh and pick up some Ni-Mh rechargable AA's. Alkaline's do not apply here. :wink:

Maybe, but you can't live without seeing the light output. It is really just ridiculous. Bright does not properly describe it. Think hand torch. Oh and pick up some Ni-Mh rechargable AA's. Alkaline's do not apply here. :wink:

650 lumens?! Good heavens! The Malkoff 3-D cell Mag-lite module that I have my eye on "only" produces 270 lumens.

V

VR6ofpain

650 lumens?! Good heavens! The Malkoff 3-D cell Mag-lite module that I have my eye on "only" produces 270 lumens.
Well technically it is "only" 630 lumens. But yes it is very bright. Apparently if looked directly into when "turbo" mode is on (630 lumens mode), it can actually cause eye damage. Supposedly it can be used to deter an attacker (similar to the stun effect police departments got out of using Surefire flashlights mounted to rifles/pistols. It illuminates the target and temporarily stuns them. With this Fenix it is actually painful. I quickly looked into it on turbo mode and my eye had the "ghost" of the light for a good 2-3 minutes after I turned the light off. And this was only looking at it for about a second. Pretty serious stuff.

Well technically it is "only" 630 lumens. But yes it is very bright. Apparently if looked directly into when "turbo" mode is on (630 lumens mode), it can actually cause eye damage. Supposedly it can be used to deter an attacker (similar to the stun effect police departments got out of using Surefire flashlights mounted to rifles/pistols. It illuminates the target and temporarily stuns them. With this Fenix it is actually painful. I quickly looked into it on turbo mode and my eye had the "ghost" of the light for a good 2-3 minutes after I turned the light off. And this was only looking at it for about a second. Pretty serious stuff.

Ive heard many good things about that light but I still think they could have done better in picking a battery for it. 8 AA's seems a little crazy to me, they probably could have put in something more efficient. That being said I think it is the most powerful AA light and I'm sure is very impressive. Just not for me :001_smile

Just scanned that first review Timmy and it sounds like it's not as good as it looks? But at that price would be hard not to give it a go! :001_smile
I'm thinking Flash light sub forum :lol:

Ive heard many good things about that light but I still think they could have done better in picking a battery for it. 8 AA's seems a little crazy to me, they probably could have put in something more efficient. That being said I think it is the most powerful AA light and I'm sure is very impressive. Just not for me :001_smile

I'm with you on this one. Don't like the format, 8 AA batteries. Fenix markets the light for adventurers/exploration. Can't imagine having to carry about 16 or so spare AA batteries. Might be a good backyard light though. And though Fenix clearly states alkaline batteries are an acceptable power source, I agree with VR6's statement that alkalines really need not apply.

Late to this thread, but to answer the question... Yes. Off of the top of my head:

In the ebb and flow of things, I've had:
Surefire G2
Surefire 6P (with Lighthound Stainless Crenelated head, Clicky tail and an R2 drop-in...)
Surefire 9P (R2 drop-in)
Surefire C2
Surefire E1B
Surefire E2D
Surefire E2DL
Surefire Strider M2 with KL5 Head
Fenix TK10
too many maglights and mini mags...

I currently have:
Surefire LX2 Lumamax
Surefire E1L Outdoorsman
Surefire Saint Minimus
Novatac 120T (with custom Ti bezel and clip)
Nitecore EX10
Lumapower LumaHunter MRV
Fenix E01
Glo Toob Lithiums in red and white
Petzl Tikka
Petzl Myo 3

I think that about covers it.

Top Bottom